MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: MSP 3.8.15 page ordering UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Please note that the original file will not be modified if you just change the page order. The only time the file has to be modified is if you insert another file, a blank page, or a template into the PDF. There is no way around doing this (no easy way at least). Many users have requested a way to insert blank pages into the middle of a PDF, and there has never been an easy way to do this. With the new UI, there now is. I just wanted to solve that problem. If you don't like having the original file modified, then don't utilize those features. You can long press the page order field on the files tab and directly enter in the page order you want to use, so if you don't even want to use the new UI, you don't have to. If you want to have multiple PDFs, you can still add multiple files on the files tab like you always have instead of relying on the page ordering UI. You can also insert blank pages as a different file, so nothing has changed in that regard.

I've released version 3.8.16 which fixes the issue mentioned in this thread with annotations being deleted, along with a few other minor bug fixes.

Mike
I will be using the new ui that's for sure. Please don't get me wrong I have no idea about app programming that's why I'm asking. If this is the way then so be it. And that it is not easy to fulfill all wishes (like mine) I believe immediately. I really appreciate the support you give.
As long as there is a warning that the original file is overwritten when using the new UI I'm o.k. with that.

I still haven't seen it, though. Obv it's rolled out for Android already (which I'm not using currently). Is this the case for .15/.16 for iOS and Windows as well (since I haven't received updates yet).

Anyway, I'll see how nice the page ordering is and if I can use it "non-destructively" as well.
There isn't a warning at the moment, but I'm not really sure one is warranted. Any change you make you can reverse if needed, unless you tap "Save as New PDF", in which case the user explicitly picked that option, so I don't then need to warn them. You also have to go into the overflow menu to find that option, so it's not something you would accidentally trigger. 

The Windows update will be coming soon. I'm going to push out the FastSpring version this morning, but the Microsoft Store version will have to go through Microsoft's approval process. I am going to post release notes as well, and my plan was to post more information about the iPad version there. Basically, I'm seeing crashes with certain PDFs with the PDF library, so I'm trying to work with the company that makes the PDF library to get this resolved. I don't want to release an update that causes instability, so the iPad update is delayed until this is resolved, and due to the fact that I have to wait on another company, I'm not sure how long it will take.

Mike
All good. I only was wondering because the Android is out but no change log or the other platforms so I wasn't sure I missed something.
I would argue that a "Save as New PDF " warning is required - I suspect most users try things to see what happens and are not aware that they will lose the ability to revert.

Also, I don't envisage that users will be constantly using this feature so they are not likely to be inconvenienced by a warning being shown and, if the use is indeed infrequent then, they have probably forgotten about the implications of saving.

Geoff
PS: I haven't tried the feature!
Sorry Mike but I would argue that a "Save as New PDF " warning is required - I suspect most users try things to see what happens and are unaware that they will lose the ability to revert.

Also, I don't envisage that users will be constantly using this feature so they are not likely to be inconvenienced by a warning being shown and, if the use is indeed infrequent then, they have probably forgotten about the implications of saving.

Geoff
PS: I haven't tried the feature!
Please remember that I said you can always cancel out and the original PDF will not be modified. So if a user selects "Save as New PDF", they can just cancel out of the song editor and the change is discarded.

Mike
I agree that they can cancel out but they are probably not aware of the implications of not doing so

It's your call

Geoff
Don't  call it "Save as new PDF" then. I would associate that with saving a new (other) one as per usual when a "save as" is prompted. Call it "overwrite with changes" or something alike and it's warning enough.
I think the part I'm struggling with is a way to convey that the page order is going to be flattened into the new PDF that is generated. "Overwrite with changes" indicates that the existing PDF will be updated which is good, but I think the term "changes" doesn't quite convey that the page order is going to be simplified/flattened. The word "flattened" isn't really the best either as I don't think a lot of people will even know what I mean by that. If the label was "Simplify page order and replace PDF", would that be self-explanatory enough? I'm open to ideas here.

Other ideas that come to mind:

"Overwrite PDF with page order"
"Update PDF with page order"
"Write changes to PDF"

Thanks,
Mike
What about "Write changes to PDF permanently"?

This could be used consistently for other and similar future applications in MSP. (I have something in mind for ABC support which isn't on your agenda for quite some time, I know. Thus I won't burden this thread with it but write about it at some other time and place).
What about “Write page order to PDF” or “Write page order to PDF permanently”? I’m still concerned that “changes” doesn’t convey enough information. The word “permanently” seems redundant but if it helps convey that the file is changing, I’m okay with it.

Or “Update PDF with current page order “?

Thanks,
Mike
I'm not sure I can understand your hesitation regarding "changes".

But here's another possible route which I actually like better because I don't see the necessity to provide an "extra expor"t method for the page order.

Just offer the same "export method" from the normals place and from within the page order UI.

Call it in all the places the same like  "Write/Export changes to PDF permanently" and offer the save options

Save / Save As / Save and Swap / Cancel
Permanent page [#/order] modification?
Pages: 1 2 3 4