MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Import from Ultimate Guitar?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Import from Ultimate Guitar?

* This is an exchange I had with Zupersoft support, and I thought that I would post it for information to others with same issue/question (Response below)...

* Question:
Coming from "SongBookPro" which has the import from "Search Online"/"UltimateGuitar.com" option, which imports the ChordPro file from Ultimate Guitar site.

Any way to do that in MobileSheets?

Thanks,

Todd
* Response:
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to work on a feature like that. You aren't the only one who would get value out of that, as I've gotten that request before. I'm constantly trying to deliver the features that both PDF users want, as well as chord pro users, so I have a huge backlog of feature requests to get through. So it will certainly be included with an update at some point, but I don't know the exact timeline at the moment. I'm currently trying to deliver on missing chord pro features like abc support, chord grids, chord diagrams, using the image directive and a few missing style options.

Mike
*End
You can do it from iOS using an iPad, but you may have to be using the paid version of Ultimate Guitar.   Here are the steps:

1. Open the song in Ultimate Guitar.
2. Press the “three dots” in the upper right corner.
3. Press “share”
4. Press “open with”
5. Select MobileSheets (might need to have MobileSheets already open for this step to work properly)
6. Now the “import settings” window will open in MobileSheets and you can save the song.

Note – the song is saved as a “.txt” file, not a chordpro “.cho” file.  But, transposing and the other features all seem to work.
Redroc.k:

Thanks for this tip!

Yes it appears that that only works with the paid app, which looks like it has value, and maybe I'd do it for a year to check it out.

Thanks!

Todd
If I want to import a song from Ultimate Guitar I do it like that:
- click "Edit - Make personal edits"
- click into the white section that contains the song sheet
- press "ctrl a" to select the complete text, press "ctrl c" to copy it into the clipboard
- open a new file in Notepad++, press "ctrl v" to paste the text
If you're happy getting a text file, just save as .txt, import into MobileSheets and you're done.

I always convert from text to ChordPro so I add these steps:
- do some basic edits like surrounding the title with {t: ... } and so on
- save the file with a Chordpro extension like .pro or .cho
- doubleclick to open it in SongPress (https://github.com/lallulli/songpress) which is the default program to open ChordPro files on my windows computer
- SongPress asks if the file should be automatically convert to ChordPro
- confirm, do some more edits if required, save
import into MobileSheets, done

There are several other ways to convert from .txt to ChordPro, just search the forum.

Some more steps, but it avoids even logging in into Ultimate Guitar.
ItsMe:

Thanks for this tip. I, too, have done it this way, but was hoping for a more integrated way. In the meantime, this does work fine, and probably will continue to do it this way as I don't have enough need to subscribe to Ultimate Guitar.

I've been using "ChordPro" 
ChordPro Preview Editor version 6.042
https://www.chordpro.org

for simple stuff, but I'll check out SongPress.

Thanks,

Todd
I'll add one more reply, when I'm in Windows I'll use the chordpro format, with a converter on the "ukegeeks" website.  I found out about this in one of the posts here in the forum, but here's my entire workflow:

Tools I use:

1. Ultimate Guitar in a browser
2. Chordpro converter in a browser
http://ukegeeks.com/tools/
1. MobileSheets for Windows.

Steps (this is from memory):

1. Bring up the song in Ultimate Guitar, select and copy the title, chords and text of the song.
2. Paste into the ‘left side’ of the chordpro converter.  You can edit out any unneeded text brought over from UG.
3. Press the convert button.  Select and copy the ‘right side’ of the chordpro converter.  You can also do some editing of the right side before the ‘select/copy’.
4. Create a ‘new’ song in MobileSheets.  Then, Press the feather icon and you’ll be prompted for new file name, and you’ll be given a space to paste in text.
5. Paste in the text copied from the chordpro converter.  You can also do some editing here if you like. When done, press ‘ok’ in the upper right, and then I think save.
6.  You should now see the newly created song into the songs list of MobileSheets.  You’ll be able to open the song, transpose, all of the fun stuff.

Once you get used to the steps, you can execute for a song in maybe five minutes.
Oh cool!

I'll try that.

Thanks again.

Todd