MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: "Rearrange pages" possible bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I don't know if this has been reported already, but there seems to be a new(?) bug introduced in the "Rearrange pages" feature.

If you use this feature to copy pages (for a repeat, for example) then you go into one of the pages that's repeated and edit it, this seems to work fine while you're in the edit screen (ie, the edit is only applied to one of the pages). However, when you exit the edit screen, the same edit is applied to *both* pages.

I used to use this feature to handle repeats - I would cut out the music from the first repeated page that I didn't want to play the first time (a |2---------|, for example) and I would also cut out the music from the second repeated page that I didn't want to play the second time (a |1----------|, for example). 

This always worked previously from what I can remember, but I've just tried it again on a new piece, and the edit is applied to both pages, as I said before. This is not useful, and the only way round it that I can think of is to rescan the piece with the repeats included in the scan - which is far less convenient.

Regards

Robin Terry
It's not a bug - it's the nature of using the snipping tool, which embeds the pasted image in the PDF itself. The page order is just an instruction for the order in which to display pages. If you enter "1,1", for example, you are going to see the same instance of page 1 of the PDF. If modify page 1 of the PDF itself, that change is going to show up on both instances of page 1. Annotations stored in the MobileSheets database (any annotation created not using the snipping tool) do not behave this way, as I save different annotations per instance of a page.

So how do you avoid this issue? On the "Rearrange pages" screen, tap the three dots at the top right and select "Update PDF with Current Page Order". The page order will then be flattened (in my example, "1,1" becomes "1-2"), and the underlying PDF will be modified. This will give you completely separate instances of every page, so you can use the snipping tool to modify PDF pages and it will not impact any other page.

Mike
(04-13-2024, 08:06 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a bug - it's the nature of using the snipping tool, which embeds the pasted image in the PDF itself. The page order is just an instruction for the order in which to display pages. If you enter "1,1", for example, you are going to see the same instance of page 1 of the PDF. If modify page 1 of the PDF itself, that change is going to show up on both instances of page 1. Annotations stored in the MobileSheets database (any annotation created not using the snipping tool) do not behave this way, as I save different annotations per instance of a page.

So how do you avoid this issue? On the "Rearrange pages" screen, tap the three dots at the top right and select "Update PDF with Current Page Order". The page order will then be flattened (in my example, "1,1" becomes "1-2"), and the underlying PDF will be modified. This will give you completely separate instances of every page, so you can use the snipping tool to modify PDF pages and it will not impact any other page.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the prompt response - I will follow your advice. I am a little confused that I didn't see this before, as I have done this same thing on other music, and I can't recall seeing this happen previously. Maybe it was just luck - perhaps the parts I cut were on different pages somehow.
Regards
Robin
If you are using the "Cut" option of the snipping tool, the white rectangle is now embedded in the PDF (this was mentioned in the release notes for 3.8.40). This was changed to resolve issues with the z-order when trying to place pasted images on top of the white rectangle generated by selecting "cut". Enough users were running into the z-order problems that I finally decided to resolve it by just embedding the white rectangle as well. If you use the shape/rectangle tool to draw the white box instead of using the "Cut" option, then you won't encounter problems with repeated pages.

Mike