MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Removing songs after csv import
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just attempted to import a very large file (a fake book) using one of the CSV files I found in the CSV sub-forum here.

It did not work. My PDF for the fake book and the CSV file did not match.

So now I have over 1000 songs with the wrong title. Or actually, I had. I tried to fix it by removing the big PDF file from the storage in the tablet, in the hope that MobileSheets would discover that the file was gone and remove the songs.

My plan failed.

The songs are still there in the list in MobileSheets.

So now I have over 1000 songs which, when I select them, mobile sheets informs me that the file does not exist.

Is there a way to fix this? And how should i have done if from the start?
Is there anything you can filter on to quickly limit the songs list to only showing songs from that fakebook? If so, use that filter, then long press to select a song, tap the select all icon in the floating toolbar at the bottom right corner and then tap "Delete". This will delete all of the songs from the library.

Mike
If the filter won't  work then
As last resort, possibly revert to a recent backup (but that might cause problems if it is not as recent as you think)

Sort the songs page by date and multiple select/delete the latest songs. Delete the songs in batches to avoid losing your selections if you accidentally touch the screen

Always include a field in the .csv so that it can be used in a filter e.g put into a collection specific to this book

Geoff
(04-23-2024, 10:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything you can filter on to quickly limit the songs list to only showing songs from that fakebook? If so, use that filter, then long press to select a song, tap the select all icon in the floating toolbar at the bottom right corner and then tap "Delete". This will delete all of the songs from the library.

Mike

Ah, yes there was. It was imported as a collection. Unfortunately, I did something very similar to what you propose, but in the "Collection" view. But in that view, the "remove/delete" option only removed them from the collection, not from mobile sheets. I tried to see if there was an "undo" option for this, but could not find one.

And I guess it is not possible to filter on shared file (every song using this file).

Do I understand correctly that the general behavior is that the file is removed when the last song which refer to it is removed?  But how can I know that all songs have been removed (if I messed up the collection-tagging, or similar)?
You can search by "File Paths"
[attachment=2706]
To find that you have to scroll down in the search dropdown.
@Mike: how about enlarging that dropdown so that all entries are visible without scrolling? Only a few are missing, so it won't need much.

And you can click "Delete Songs" in the missing files window
[attachment=2707]
Note the different wording: deleting a song from a group (setlist, collection, album ...) is entitled "Remove Song", deleting from the songs tab (= deleting from the library) is entitled "Delete Song".

Clicking "Delete Song" from the songs tab shows a "Confirm Delete" window. This contains a warning in case the song is used in any setlist.
If you check "Delete Song PDF/Image/Text Files" not only the song is deleted from the library but also the according file is removed.
There's no need that you know if it is the last song referring to that file, MobileSheets takes care of it. If there are remaining songs that use the same file, as it is usually the case with fakebooks, the file is not deleted, the "Delete Files" checkbox is ignored, no matter if it is checked or not.
[attachment=2708]
I have a separate "Test.db" database to play around with things like this without affecting my "productive" database that I use on stage.
Look for "multiple databases" or "Switch Library" in the settings
Thanks. This seems like it will be possible to solve. I will have a go at this when I get home tonight.
If you are editing a group, the "Remove" option removes the songs from that group. If you tap the three dots at the top right, there is a "Delete Songs from Library" option which permanently deletes them. I set it up this way as users were deleting songs from their groups on accident and then getting upset about it (even though there was a confirmation dialog). 

There isn't an undo option at the moment as supporting that is very complicated, as it would involve rolling back changes in the database (meaning I have to store snapshots of the database, or lists of instructions to reverse every change), and unless I set up a "recycle bin" of sorts with song files, I wouldn't be able to remove those either, but then I'd have to manage when to empty that "recycle bin". I just really don't want to mess with all that unless there is a huge demand for it. You can revert your database to an earlier version as mentioned by Geoff though.

itsme - Unfortunately, Microsoft imposes a maximum dropdown height for comboboxes, and I can't override that as far as I can tell. It's something they set up in code that can't be overriden. I am already specifying an extremely large maximum height for the dropdown, and their code must ignore it if it's over a certain value.

Mike
(04-24-2024, 03:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]If you are editing a group, the "Remove" option removes the songs from that group. If you tap the three dots at the top right, there is a "Delete Songs from Library" option which permanently deletes them. I set it up this way as users were deleting songs from their groups on accident and then getting upset about it (even though there was a confirmation dialog). 

I understand. I makes sense. Do  not change this.

(04-24-2024, 03:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't an undo option at the moment as supporting that is very complicated, as it would involve rolling back changes in the database (meaning I have to store snapshots of the database, or lists of instructions to reverse every change), and unless I set up a "recycle bin" of sorts with song files, I wouldn't be able to remove those either, but then I'd have to manage when to empty that "recycle bin". I just really don't want to mess with all that unless there is a huge demand for it. You can revert your database to an earlier version as mentioned by Geoff though.

Ok. No problem.

The "Find missing files" (proposed by  itsme) worked fine. for anyone else reading this, it can be found in Settings - Other Settings.

I did not manage to make the "File Paths" option in the search menu work. Even if I long-click a working song, select the "files" tab and copy the file path, and then go back and paste it into the search field will it find the corresponding song. The manual does not give any hints on how to write the path such that songs will be found.

But my immediate problem is solved.
As an exercise, try using "File Paths", but just enter the filename. Does that get you the results you are expecting? If so, I may have to look into specifying a full file path, as there could be an issue where MobileSheets is not handling the slashes correctly.

Mike
(04-24-2024, 07:33 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: [ -> ]As an exercise, try using "File Paths", but just enter the filename. Does that get you the results you are expecting? If so, I may have to look into specifying a full file path, as there could be an issue where MobileSheets is not handling the slashes correctly.

Mike

No, even when just entering the filename I get zero results from the "File Paths" option.
That is very strange then, as it seems to work for me... Thanks for trying it at least.

Mike