MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Documenting "Ticker Tape Mode" hack for horizontal scrolling...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hack Alert! I was able to get MobileSheets to scroll sheet music horizontally like ticker tape across a smart phone screen, and I wonder if you should add the method to the manual, and maybe post an instructional video on MobileSheets’ YouTube channel about how to do it.

The method only uses MobileSheets’ score editing features to accomplish this.

The basic method is to:

1) Go to the Mobilesheets display setting on our smartphone and set the “device orientation lock” to portrait.

2) Create a Smartphone setlist.

3) Make a copy of the desired score, rename it and place it in the set list.

4) Go to the page editor for the score, click in the page number field, then rotate each page of the score 90 degrees clockwise.

5)Figure out how many "ticker" lines you require on each page.

6)Add a duplicate page for each ticker line needed on the page, and on any subsequent pages.

7)Save this and then systematically custom crop each page so each page represents one ticker line in the tape.

8)Save the result and exit the editor.

9) Adjust scroll settings to continuous scroll (I use "scroll entire piece in fixed time”.), and the result will scroll the music horizontally like ticker tape across your smartphone screen.

The trick is your phone is set to portrait mode, but the scrolls will appear as landscape mode music.

It takes very little time to create one of these "ticker tape" music scores and it turns your smartphone into a serious musical tool. This is a very useful feature for those times when you do not have your tablet with you. In terms of sales, this is a "cherry on top" feature which takes MobileSheets to the next level.
Addendum:  

1)  Ticker-Tape Mode also has serious value on large screens for ensemble playing and for playing from sight while standing some distance from the screen. String and brass players play much better when not leaning in while trying to see the score. It also allows sharing of one tablet amongst a group. 

2) I should have mentioned the display mode must be set to continuous scrolling to get this to work.
Addendum #2

1) I found I can create and crop the ticker-strips while the score pages are not rotated, and then I can globally rotate all of them using the rotate feature in the crop window. This makes creating the ticker-strips even faster.

2) In testing, I find the ticker tape method of playback is ideal for keeping time and allowing a degree of rubato within the time. The elimination of white space in the score makes the scroll timing more accurate. Further, you may find less vertical eye movement makes for better sight reading.

3) I have not found a way to make this work without rotating the screen after playback starts.