MobileSheets Forums

Full Version: Chord formatting error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello y'all!
Here's a line of ChordPro code for you:
Code:
[Bm7][Bm6]   [Bm add(#5)]   [Bm]

What happens is that the third chord is half formatted as text (the Bm part) and half formatted as chord (the add(#5) part).
Hi,

I don't think you are posting in the right place - what you are asking about is a Chordpro issue, not a MobileSheets one.

MobileSheets expects the correct Chordpro format to be used and the Chordpro chord format does not permit spaces!  If you change the chord to [Bmadd(#5)] it will work. If you want to see a gap between "Bm" and "add" you will need to use an underscore or a dash between. Same applies for all applications incorporating Chordpro format.
I'd like Sciurius to provide feedback on this as he manages the chord pro specification. I'm not sure why the code isn't handling [Bm add(#5)] correctly - I'll have to look into that. In theory, I would have expected that to work, so if it's a simple change to make that work correctly, I'll update the code. 

Mike
(01-10-2020, 02:04 AM)Little-Uke Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I don't think you are posting in the right place - what you are asking about is a Chordpro issue, not a MobileSheets one.

MobileSheets expects the correct Chordpro format to be used and the Chordpro chord format does not permit spaces!  If you change the chord to [Bmadd(#5)] it will work. If you want to see a gap between "Bm" and "add" you will need to use an underscore or a dash between. Same applies for all applications incorporating Chordpro format.

It may be true that the Chordpro format doesn't allow spaces in a chord. But I noticed that the chord like I wrote it with the space between is formatted just fine in other contexts, just not in this one. I think the irregularity pointed me towards the conclusion that this might be a bug.
Formally, ChordPro does not impose restrictions on what can be a chord name. Anything is valid, e.g.,

[A Quick Fox]Jumps over the dog

However, if you want your favourite ChordPro processing tool to do something intelligent with your chord (e.g., print a diagram, or transpose) then you may find that the tools impose restrictions on what chord name are recognized. Generally accepted chord names are like Am and C#maj7#5. And in general spaces are not allowed. (Yes, there are exceptions.)

So even though it is not a formal restriction of the ChordPro format, it is best to stick to generally accepted chord names and not use spaces.

EDIT: Having said all that, I agree that [Bm add5] should completely render in chord style, just like [A cappella], [Coda], [Fine], etc..
With a normal line of lyrics and chords, [Bm add(#5)] renders just fine as a chord in MobileSheetsPro. It's only when it's on a line by itself with other chords and no lyrics at all. So I'll take a look into that, but the problem is pretty minor.

Mike