MobileSheets Forums
Android connection for Midi - Printable Version

+- MobileSheets Forums (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum)
+-- Forum: Support (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: MobileSheets (Android) (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Android connection for Midi (/thread-11259.html)

Android connection for Midi - PymZiq - 03-21-2024

Hello, I'm currently testing MSPro with the free version.
Everything looks very fine for me, I'm just stuck with my inability to make any Midi connection with a PC (Win10 pro) or a Mac (Catalina 10.15.7), which are handling Reaper or Live to play tracks back on stage. The goal is to trigger the right tracks for each song, assigning a note or a pgm-change in the song settings.
I've been looking after answers in the forum, but have not found any.

My Android 13 tablet is set to allow the usb port to transfer data, but no sign of the tablet as a Midi device on the computers side, whatever the "default, google or high performance" choice. Same with attempting with bluetooth : no Midi peripheral shows up in the MS window.

Beside, I've been using RTP-Midi which works fine over wifi between the tablet and the computers...
So my questions :
- Am I missing something in the Midi settings over usb or bluetooth ? How can I drive more tests ?
- Is there any way to use RTP-Midi ?

The Midi question is a key feature that would prevent me to buy the regular version if I can't deal with it, yet the app is fantastic !
Thanks in advance for your help

RE: Android connection for Midi - Zubersoft - 03-21-2024

So you need to set the USB connection in the Android OS to "MIDI", not file transfer. This ensures that virtual ports are created for the MIDI device. You can then connect MobileSheets to these virtual ports under Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, and you can connect your PC or Mac to those virtual ports to connect to Reaper or Live. 

I do not currently support RTP MIDI because I haven't really found any open source RTP MIDI libraries for Android and/or Windows. It is supported in the iOS version of MobileSheets as Apple supports it with CoreMIDI. I do want to implement my own solution, but this is going to have to wait until I have a big chunk of time I can dedicate to this.

Mike

RE: Android connection for Midi - PymZiq - 03-21-2024

(03-21-2024, 08:06 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: So you need to set the USB connection in the Android OS to "MIDI", not file transfer. This ensures that virtual ports are created for the MIDI device. You can then connect MobileSheets to these virtual ports under Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, and you can connect your PC or Mac to those virtual ports to connect to Reaper or Live. 

I do not currently support RTP MIDI because I haven't really found any open source RTP MIDI libraries for Android and/or Windows. It is supported in the iOS version of MobileSheets as Apple supports it with CoreMIDI. I do want to implement my own solution, but this is going to have to wait until I have a big chunk of time I can dedicate to this.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your prompt answer.
"set the USB connection in the Android OS to "MIDI", not file transfer." : I'm well aware of this instruction, but there's nowhere in Android 13 to offer this setting : it looks like since Android 6, this option don't exist anymore for "Midi is natively supported by Android" (not really sure).
=> that's why I've mentioned my attempt with "data transfer" mode, that you can only do when the tablet is in "developer mode".
=> so, any other suggestion ?

I've read across the forum that you're reluctant to adopt technos which require some fee, which is a good attitude. However, in some case, I'd be ok to pay a small extra if such features (proven and reliable) come as an option. Regarding RTP-Midi, it's available for Android as "Midi Connector" which is free for 1 connection and licensed for more. It works fine in my tablet with other midi apps.

RE: Android connection for Midi - PymZiq - 03-21-2024

Here's a screen copy of the USB options available
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13pqjwobSC9lMoa7npoCJwmdx_jbWbzyT/view?usp=drive_link

RE: Android connection for Midi - Zubersoft - 03-22-2024

I had to request access to see your screenshot. I'm pretty sure the option exists even on newer Android versions, because the virtual ports aren't created otherwise. You need to drag down from the top of the screen, tap the USB connection, which takes you to the settings screen, and then MIDI should be an option. I'll have to check this on my S8 Ultra when I get a chance though. 

As far as the "MIDI Connector" app you mentioned, that is completely separate from MobileSheets. It's a stand-alone app that creates virtual MIDI ports. In theory, you could use that to establish an RTP MIDI connection, then MobileSheets can connect to the virtual ports created by MIDI Connector. I have not tested that app though, and have no idea how well it works. The lack of RTP MIDI is not really about money - just a lack of time to work on it. There aren't any paid commercial libraries for RTP MIDI for Android that I'm aware of either.

Mike