• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Large screen tablets
There is a new Galaxy View Tablet that has a 18.5inch screen and light weight but it costs £500

I keep trying to expand my current Galaxy 10inch by using a Chrome cast but it appears to only use an app which is compatible to a PC and not a lightweight monitor.
At first, when I got my 13.3" SmarTab, I was disappointed with the 16:9 resolution (versus 4:3).

However, having used it for several months now, I've actually grown to enjoy that resolution. I've switched over to vertical scrolling mode now, and this lets me see the next line of the music while I can think about turning a page without missing a beat. Some songs I can actually fit the entire song (partial second page) on the screen all at once with some strategic scrolling.

Bottom line, I think I've grown to prefer the 16:9 screen. Sure, the music looks slightly smaller, but you can use it to your advantage to read ahead.
SmarTab StreaMachine 13.3", Android 4.4.4
Samsung Galaxy Book 12, Windows 10
Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G, Android 11
AirTurn PED
I  bought the Samsung View about a month ago and have been using it the last few weeks for all my playing/gigs. Prior to this I was using the Tab Pro 12.2. Here are a few observations:

1. The screen is awesome! I am REALLY enjoying using MS Pro in two page mode. It is a little smaller than normal sheet music, but not much. I even played an outdoor gig and could see just fine. The only problem (with tablets in general) is glare. You just have to adjust the angle slightly to minimize it. Also, there's some discussion on other boards about the screen resolution of the View, since it's not as good as the Note Pro. Trust me, it's not a problem.  

The only minor irritation with regard to the screen is a 1/2 inch menu bar at the bottom that will not disappear when not being used. It will for some apps, but not MS Pro. That's too bad because it decreases the size of the displayed pages. 

2. Battery life is very good. I play in a big band and after our 2 hr rehearsal, I still had about 85% left with the screen brightness set halfway.

3. My one big reservation I had before purchasing was the quirky two position stand attached to the back of the tablet. My initial impression when viewing at Best Buy was that it was a poor design and wouldn't work well on a music stand. I have to admit that it works better than I had imagined. If you put the stand in the lower position (think in your lap), it works fine. You just have to tilt the music stand back a bit to make the angle work for you. Not a big deal really.

4. My one big caution for anyone thinking about using the View is the weight. It's over 6lbs. Very heavy for a tablet. You will need a heavy duty stand for this one. I normally use a Manhasset Voyager as my gig rig, but it was far too flimsy. I had to use my heavy duty Pro Line stand from GC. This actually works well, but I also added a rubber washer to the angle adjustment of the stand to give it more bite and a small bungee cord to hold the tablet tightly against the music stand.  

5. My only other caution would be finding a case to carry it in. It will not fit in a normal size bag. It is just too wide. You can buy one from Samsung or find one yourself. I happen to have a North Face Router computer backpack that fits it perfectly. I really like using the backpack, because I can pack other stuff with the tablet to conserve space. It also frees my hands to carry other things.

Overall, it's a good fit for me. I'm an older guy and I don't have 20/20 vision anymore. This tablet coupled with MS Pro is a tough combination to beat as long as you can deal with the weight/size.  As far as large tablets go, there are several that will do a great job if you just need to display one page at a time. However, if you are like me and really want a big display in two page mode, the list gets a lot smaller and I think this is probably the best choice of anything that I have looked at. 

Just my $.02.

Toney
If you want the navigation bar to completely disappear, you have to go to Settings->Display Settings and check "Hide the Navigation Bar" at the very bottom of the list. This enables what Google calls "Immersive Mode" which hides the navigation bar until you slide it out from the bottom of the screen.
(07-03-2016, 12:24 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you want the navigation bar to completely disappear, you have to go to Settings->Display Settings and check "Hide the Navigation Bar" at the very bottom of the list. This enables what Google calls "Immersive Mode" which hides the navigation bar until you slide it out from the bottom of the screen.

Ah, that did the trick. Thanks ZMan!
(07-03-2016, 04:39 AM)TFender Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 12:24 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you want the navigation bar to completely disappear, you have to go to Settings->Display Settings and check "Hide the Navigation Bar" at the very bottom of the list. This enables what Google calls "Immersive Mode" which hides the navigation bar until you slide it out from the bottom of the screen.

Ah, that did the trick. Thanks ZMan!

I, too, just bought the Samsung Galaxy View and love it!  I am a pianist and have looked for an extended period of time for a large enough tablet to display two pages.  And I use the perfect app:  Mobilesheetspro, which is a perfect fit!  I highly recommend them both and played my first gig yesterday using them!  So cool!  Smile
I have also purchased the Galaxy View Tablet and as a semi-pro gigging musician I am perfectly satisfied. 
I thought that the back stand would give rise to problems but it actually makes it easier to handle safely because it is slightly heavy.  Playing for Big Band outfits I regularly have to read arrangements that are 7 - 8 pages and I therefore use extension  brackets on my keyboard stand designed to carry another keyboard but I have had an aluminium sheet with a lip made to match the whole 88 key unit.  This rig carries the View Tablet very well.

The combination of this tablet and MSP has changed my music life.
Cheers
Brian
Just announced:
$850 Galaxy Tab S7+ with 120Hz 12.4" Super AMOLED display. Unfortunately 16:10 aspect ratio.
S Pen, microSD card slot included.
In display fingerprint sensor.
10090 mAh battery, 45-watt charging via USB-C.
575g (1.27 lb)
Hello otnt,

Quote:$850 Galaxy Tab S7+ with 120Hz 12.4" Super AMOLED display. Unfortunately 16:10 aspect ratio. S Pen, microSD card slot included.

Sounds interesting - in about 2-3 years, w/r/to the price, when the first used ones will hit the market. Wink

I love 16:10 displays as the approximate the usual A4 printed scores quite well.

But, apart from the newer Android system: What makes them stand out compared to the old Galaxy Note ones? The screen will certainly be nice, but as there is no relevant motion while reading scores: what positive effect should the 120 Hz have?

How long will the battery last for the large screen when playing wirelessly?

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
New Android 10 tablet available.
Lenovo Tab P11 Pro:
- 11.5-inch OLED 2560 x 1600 display (16:10 ratio)
- fingerprint sensor
- optional stylus supports 4096 pressure levels
- 15 hours, 8600 mAh battery that supports QC 3.0 fast charge
- 485 grams
- $499
New Windows tablet:
- Dell Latitude 7320 Detachable
- 13 inch 1920x1280 pixel touchscreen display (3:2 aspect ratio), 500 nits brightness and a Super Low Power mode, Corning Gorilla Glass DX Touch layer
- weighs about 1.82 pounds (826 grams)
- 2-cell 40 Wh battery (Express Charge via 65W USB-C adapter)
- available by the end of March 2021 (MANY configurations starting from US$999)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1420]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

New Samsung large tablet should be released in June 2021:
Tab S7 Lite will have a 12.4-inch display.
[Image: 1_Untitled_8_6_4.png]
Thanks for posting information about new tablets coming out - it's really helpful.
Hi,

has anyone tried to use a (USB-C) touchscreen Monitor with a decent Android phone?
I'm thinking about 14+ inches, VESA-mount, externally powered.
Thanks
Frank
It my property in Greece here I use Microsoft Surface Pro 7 - 12.3" and I never had any complaints. Very easy to use, fast and holds nicely. If you have a chance to try in out in any of the shops I recommend you do so. Really good device. Maybe not the biggest screen size but good quality

[Image: 71kBlSKi3eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
Hi