• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chordpro features
Hello!

I have recently downloaded MSPro, and absolutely love it! The only feature I find to be missing is the possibility to edit the chordpro files in MSPro. Do you think it could figure in a future update?

Thanks for all the work you've already done!
Léonie
10" Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (MSP)
Editing of documents is not the purpose of MSPro. You can make annotations when changes are needed.
Having said that, it would be nice to have a filter option: songs with annotations. This would it make easy to quickly find the songs that were annotated during a rehearsal, incorporate the annotations into the master documents, and upload the corrected documents to MSPro.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
You can easily edit ChordPro files on the tablet using any available text editor. My favorite is "Jota" https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...jota&hl=de. Note that you must close and reopen the song in MSP to see the changes.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Hi sciurius,

I realise MSP isn't supposed to be a copy of Microsoft Word, but I have not yet found a (free) Android chordpro editor that would do the trick (itsme - I already have Jota, but to my knowledge, it's for .txt files, not .pro ones....). So, say I want to change a specific  chord, typo, or a wrong lyric, for example, I now have to get out my computer to be able to edit my file, and send it back to MSP. And I realise it sounds lazy; however, when I'm not at home I don't have access to my computer, and therefore my chordpro editor.

As this is the "Feature Requests and Ideas" section of the forum, I was just suggesting a feature that, in my opinion, would make the app even more awesome than it already is, and would also make life simpler for me. And it would be pretty cool to be able to type up a new song directly in MSP!  Smile

Léonie
I do a lot of my ChordPro editing directly on my tablet using Jota - just give it a try
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

I don't use chordpro files, but it's my understanding they are basically text files, therefore editable in any text editor. They only have a different extent to allow chordpro aware software to understand they have a specific format.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Due to chord pro files just being text files, I am thinking about introducing a fairly simple text editor in the application so that people don't have to jump between multiple applications for this. I don't think the level of effort for this will be very high, and I think for simple modifications, it makes the app easier to use. I also think it wouldn't be too hard to add some chord pro specific editing features.

Mike
I would appreciate as "chordpro specific editing features":
- save transposed chords
- select a chord and move it characterwise left or right

While a wysiwyg editor could have merits I suppose, it's likely to be a fair bit of work with not really all that much added benefit versus a simple text editor because the actual chordPro formatting isn't very hard to work with. I suppose chordPro specific features in a plain text editor could be nice but I'm not sure I know what use cases that would entail.  

@itsme: Why do you (or would you like) to save a file with transposed chords? [ the reason I ask is that one of the benefits I'm finding with using chordPro format is that I don't need multiple copies of songs just because the key is different...maybe I'm missing something.  Smile  ]

With my typical workflow (create/edit on PC & transfer to tablet), simply being able to fix mistakes directly from MSP would be a welcomed addition. I can't really see myself looking to craft chordPro files from scratch.
Samsung Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZW / iPad Pro / AirTurn BT-105 / AirTurn BT200S-4
itsme - I actually already have Jota, but it doesn't want to find/edit .pro files...
GraemeJ - from my experience, if it's a .pro file, text editors can't even open it... And if I make it a .txt file with chordpro commands, MSP only seems to recognise the chord feature ( the [...]), and all the other commands show up as text, so instead of having "Chorus" and the chorus on my screen, for example, I have {soc}, the chorus, {eoc}.

I am very confused as to what what is the exact difference between .pro and .txt files, as some software treat .txt the same way as .pro, and other don't... Huh

Léonie
Maybe you are stumbling against Android data protection? When chordpro friles are imported into MSPro and MSPro is configured to manage the files, they reside within the MSPro private datat area, and common text editors just cannot access them.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
That might have been the missing point in my post: I use MSP with "Let MobileSheets manage your files" set to OFF and sync a directory tree that is generally maintained on my PC. So I know where my files are and which one to open.
@LFourel: you might try to edit edit something in Jota and save it via Jota's "Save As" dialog with a .pro extension. Remember the path where you saved it and import it into MSP.

(07-27-2015, 11:22 PM)DTownSMR Wrote: While a wysiwyg editor could have merits I suppose, it's likely to be a fair bit of work with not really all that much added benefit versus a simple text editor because the actual chordPro formatting isn't very hard to work with. I suppose chordPro specific features in a plain text editor could be nice but I'm not sure I know what use cases that would entail.  

@itsme: Why do you (or would you like) to save a file with transposed chords? [ the reason I ask is that one of the benefits I'm finding with using chordPro format is that I don't need multiple copies of songs just because the key is different...maybe I'm missing something.  Smile  ]

With my typical workflow (create/edit on PC & transfer to tablet), simply being able to fix mistakes directly from MSP would be a welcomed addition. I can't really see myself looking to craft chordPro files from scratch.

Transposing in MSP currently is not always correct in using sharps or flats (this already has been reported as an error). If I can save the transposed file I can correct that manually.

Using a single file with different transpositions in case the same song is required in several keys is also my preferred workflow. Alas the current MSP 1.1.8 renders the ChordPro file again when the file is edited, losing all the fontsize and transposition settings (has also already been reported as an error). So be aware of this.

My "Master" file structure is also on a PC. But nevertheless it's convenient that I am able to edit small tweaks and changes directly on the tablet. I sync my file structure in both directions, so I can work on my ChordPro files wherever I want.

(07-27-2015, 11:42 PM)LFourel Wrote: I am very confused as to what what is the exact difference between .pro and .txt files, as some software treat .txt the same way as .pro, and other don't... Huh

Looking at the underlying file, there is no difference. Both a .pro and a .txt file contain text characters stored in exactly the same way. The .pro and .txt extensions are used to give the operating system (Android) a clue about what the file contents mean and so which app should be used to read them. So giving a file a .pro extensions is telling Android that the file contains text that can be interpreted as chordpro commands.

So if you can get a text editor to load a .pro file, it is perfectly possible to edit the chordpro commands and save it. Assuming you don't make any mistakes typing the commands, the changes will be read and displayed by a chordpro app (like MSPro)

Many text editors will load files with any extension, because so many files are really just commands as text. If your favourite text editor won't load a .pro file, you can always change its name to .txt, edit it and change it back.

HTH

Andy Ling
(07-28-2015, 01:16 AM)itsme Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 11:22 PM)DTownSMR Wrote: While a wysiwyg editor could have merits I suppose, it's likely to be a fair bit of work with not really all that much added benefit versus a simple text editor because the actual chordPro formatting isn't very hard to work with. I suppose chordPro specific features in a plain text editor could be nice but I'm not sure I know what use cases that would entail.  

Transposing in MSP currently is not always correct in using sharps or flats (this already has been reported as an error). If I can save the transposed file I can correct that manually.
OK, that makes sense. For now I'm just living with the added brain exercise! lol

(07-28-2015, 01:16 AM)itsme Wrote: Using a single file with different transpositions in case the same song is required in several keys is also my preferred workflow. Alas the current MSP 1.1.8 renders the ChordPro file again when the file is edited, losing all the fontsize and transposition settings (has also already been reported as an error). So be aware of this.

My "Master" file structure is also on a PC. But nevertheless it's convenient that I am able to edit small tweaks and changes directly on the tablet. I sync my file structure in both directions, so I can work on my ChordPro files wherever I want.
Interesting, I should probably revisit my work-flow and see if I can't streamline it a bit. Thanks for the tip.
Samsung Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZW / iPad Pro / AirTurn BT-105 / AirTurn BT200S-4