• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving new set lists
I use the setlist facility to combine tunes in twos or threes - a common practice in folk session/barn-dance playing.  When I make up such a setlist 'on the fly' (as distinct from calling up a pre-set pairing) is there a quick way of giving it a name and saving it into the permanent collection of setlists?   It seems a simple thing to need to do so I'd be surprised if it's not possible, but I can't find an instruction for it in the manual.
(08-07-2015, 09:39 PM)bazza Wrote: I use the setlist facility to combine tunes in twos or threes - a common practice in folk session/barn-dance playing.  When I make up such a setlist 'on the fly' (as distinct from calling up a pre-set pairing) is there a quick way of giving it a name and saving it into the pemanent collection of setlists?   It seems a simple thing to need to do so I'd be surprised if it's not possible, but I can't find an instruction for it in the manual.

Sounds like a nice idea.  If there was a "Medley" option.  Where can can pick some number of songs, give it a medley name and the 2-4 songs (or whatever) can be inserted in a set list together as a medley.  Maybe color/highlight them differently than other songs in the set list/collection to show they are part of a medley?  Perhaps I am getting a little ahead of myself. . . .

[First things first:  being able to save and print out pdfs with annotations. Smile]
I'm a little confused - how are you adding songs to a setlist without giving it a name and having it be part of the list of setlists in your library? I used to support dynamic setlists in the original MobileSheets, but this feature was removed due to user confusion. I'm thinking of adding this back though so that people can create a temporary setlist that they can make permanent if desired.

As far as the concept of having sub-groups (medleys or any other name) inside of a setlist, this would require a big redesign in how setlists are handled, and I'm not sure I can offer that feature. It just adds a huge amount of complexity to the various parts of the app that expect a setlist to just have a flat list of songs like all the other types of groups. If the thought is just to be able to tag songs in a setlist as belonging to a sub-group, and the only impact of this is to color the songs differently, that's something I could do. Being able to add predefined medleys to a setlist is not something I'll be able to support, as I would have to completely redesign the setlist editor and the ways setlists store their lists of songs (which would no longer be just songs but also medleys). I do support adding the songs of one setlist to another though, which basically supports this concept.

Mike
Mike,
There are times when I want to create a short sequence of, say, two or three tunes that are in the song library but not so far made up into a combined 'mini-setlist'.  I have already created an empty 'Zero' location (a setlist called 'Set 00') into which I put the required tunes using the edit function: I can then play and scroll through these tunes in the usual way. After playing, I then clear these tunes from 'Set 00' so it's available for the next time.

Often, once such a new pairing is created, it can be useful to keep it among the stored setlists (which are all similar short sequences) so I'd like to change the name from 'Set 00' to, say,  'Mason's apron/Collier's reel'.  Therefore the question is: can I quickly and easily re-name an open setlist, or do I have to close it and start from scratch?  

I think jeffn1's point about a 'medley' facility was rather different from the topic I was asking about.

Advice welcome!
In 'setlists', select 'edit' then long press the desired setlist which will put a check mark by it and allow you to rename [top of screen] the setlist. Setting up a 'temporary' setlist is a good idea, thanks.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
The only way I see to rename a setlist, you need to close it, select it with a long press while in the setlist tab, and select 'rename' in the overflow menu. So, yes, you need to close it, but you don't need to start from scratch.
You can long press a setlist on the library screen to edit/rename/copy, etc.
Thanks for replies folks, but I'm still failing to understand something:

I set up my mini-setlist on the 'Zero' title, long press it to get the check mark, but I don't see a 'rename' facility flagged up, and I don't know what an 'overflow menu' is. If I go to 'Edit', it allows me to change the setlist contents, etc., but I still don't see a 'rename' option. Am I missing something basic?

All help gratefully received!
Sorry folks, belay that last posting: I realise what I was missing. It's all a matter of doing things in the right order.

First: In the setlist page, press 'New' and set up a temporary setlist title (say, '000') and keep this as an empty list until needed.

When you want to combine two or more items in the middle of a gig/session, open '000' and Edit to add the items to be included. Load them and play away.
After playing the pieces in '000', close this mini-setlist. Howver, IF you decide to keep that pairing . . . . .
Return to the setlist page
THEN: press 'Edit' BEFORE LONG-PRESSING to select '000'. This brings up the 'overflow menu', including 'Rename' and 'Copy' options.
Select 'Copy'. This asks for a new name for the copied version and opens the Qwerty keyboard. Type in the new name and press o.k. This saves it in the Setlist page.

When the next occasion arises for an instant joining-up of items, select setlist '000' and remove previous items, which are either no longer needed or have been given their own new name.
Go back to the Setlist page, select '000' and press Edit to add the new stuff. After use, either discard or save as above.

I don't know if this is will be relevant to a lot of people, but I will find it very useful.

Cheers, all.
The 'overflow menu' is the three vertical dots icon at the top, right.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12