• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backup selection
I recently had my Samsung tablet rolled back to Kitkat 4.4 so that it will midi link with my Korg PA600 keyboard again. The tech that performed the rollback may have selected the wrong data when re-installing the songs. I have been re-loading songs that were missing after the instillation, (I kept the original pdf files on my lap top). I am also backing up as I go. I have located another backup with what seems to have about 80mb more bytes than the current one. Because this is an un-examined backup, I'm fearful of restoring it. Is the any way to view the contents of this file before I undo all my latest efforts?

My tablet is now fully operational, the midi link loads the Korg's musical settings and Bluetooth pedal page turning works as it did.

FYI. Samsung said the rollback was not possible AND refused to take responsibility for the lost function. I'll not repeat that mistake!! Dodgy
Do you have another android device?
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
My wife has Koss with small storage space. Are you suggesting that I load a second copy of MSP and then load the original backup to see what I have, or can I use the free MS and see what is there?
Perhaps Mike can enlighten us re: using MS 'Free' to examine a transferred backup. Does the msb file have another app or windows program that could look at the contents?
Yes, if there's enough room. Either one should work. I think MSP is the only one that can read the backup file.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
You can examine the backup file with the companion application if you want to see if it loads and what the database contains, but determining if all of the files are there would require first extracting all the files to your PC, which could be a pain if it's a fairly large backup file. The free version cannot be used for this because it limits the number of songs to eight, and there is no way around that.

Mike
(03-05-2016, 02:18 AM)maintech Wrote: Perhaps Mike can enlighten us re: using MS 'Free' to examine a transferred backup. Does the msb file have another app or windows program that could look at the contents?

https://github.com/sciurius/MSPro-Tools
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
You've put together some pretty useful tools Johan. Thanks for doing all that Smile
If I restore the oldest backup which has a different name, and it is not what I want, is there any problem to revert to the latest backup, using the new name. (I add the date in the filename to identify latest backup).
You can restore as many different backup files as you need to. It will clear the library each time.
(03-05-2016, 03:43 PM)Zuberman Wrote: You can restore as many different backup files as you need to.  It will clear the library each time.

Many thanks to you all for your support, 

regards,

David M.
(03-05-2016, 07:50 AM)Zuberman Wrote: You've put together some pretty useful tools Johan.  Thanks for doing all that Smile

In msb_unpack, I've added integrity checking to verify whether the backup set is valid and consistent and all files are included. A new option --check can be used to perform the integrity check without extracting all the data.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).