• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Permanent solution to missing virtual keyboard with Airturn pedal
Wink 
I apologize for posting this in multiple threads, but I feel that it is a very important solution to a problem many of us have had, and I feel that it deserves it's own thread instead of being buried in another one.

To all who have troubles with the "physical keyboard" setting - I've found a solution for me that appears to be permanent (not to mention FREE!)
The problem we seem to be having is that when you connect the PED, the on-screen keyboard (soft keyboard) is disabled because your tablet thinks you have a "physical keyboard" connected.
The "workaround" seemed to be to go into the language and input settings and disable the physical keyboard (mine had a slider button in 4.4.4). But the problem to the workaround was that this needs to be done EVERY TIME after a reboot, which is just tedious and annoying.

Well, I found a better solutionGo to the play store and download "Hacker's Keyboard". (This keyboard has just about every layout for any language as well, including 4 and 5 row settings!)
In the Hacker's Keyboard settings, there is a checkbox for "Show Soft Keyboard" - check this and it will say "Always".

Now, in your tablet's settings, go to Language and Input, and change your default keyboard to Hacker's Keyboard. Now it will always default to this regardless of whether or not you have the pedal connected.

I've done reboots of my tablet and my pedal and haven't lost any settings. This is the solution that I think many of us have been looking for.

The only problem I'm having, and maybe Mike can address it, is that in MobileSheets, the autocorrect and autocapitalize don't appear to work, but you can tap on words to get suggestions for typos. I've read that the autocorrect availability seems to be dependent on how the text field was coded (apparently there are different types, but I'm not a developer, so I don't know). The autocorrect seems to work in other apps such as Yahoo mail, just not in MS.
SmarTab StreaMachine 13.3", Android 4.4.4
Samsung Galaxy Book 12, Windows 10
Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G, Android 11
AirTurn PED
That's cool. I will probably pass because my experience is these type of apps sometimes work for a while and then have the potential of causing more problems. (And have become accustomed to changing the setting for virtual keyboard each time I start playing).

But, maybe this post should be added to the sticky; http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/fo...487&page=5
I debated on putting it there, but that thread has gotten very long and seems to have a lot of different conversations going on. Thought this would be more clear.
AirTurn PED
(04-28-2016, 01:59 AM)schnautza Wrote: I debated on putting it there, but that thread has gotten very long and seems to have a lot of different conversations going on. Thought this would be more clear.

Yep, makes sense.
Great! I've been using Hackers Keyboard for years and never noticed this setting... Blush
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Have you figured out how to get autocorrect or autocapitalize to work in the MSPro search fields?
AirTurn PED
Thanks for the tip - very useful.

John
Hannspree 13.3"
Android 4.2.2
(04-28-2016, 06:07 AM)schnautza Wrote: Have you figured out how to get autocorrect or autocapitalize to work in the MSPro search fields?

You don't really need capitals when searching.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I use Hacker's Keyboard for ages, mainly because it provides cursor left/right/up/down keys.
I never noticed problems with autocapitalization.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Well, the capitalization isn't a big deal, but I figured it's related to the autocorrect. Fix one, fix both, right?
AirTurn PED
If you prefer to have a different keyboard as your default but are happy to use Hacker's Keyboard for MobilesheetsPro you can use Quick Keyboard Switch widget to open the default keyboard settings and quickly change the default keyboard. This works with or without Bluetooth active.

I have placed the widget on my home screen next to the MobilesheetsPro app launch icon so it's easy to find. Seems to work well so far.
(04-28-2016, 06:07 AM)schnautza Wrote: Have you figured out how to get autocorrect or autocapitalize to work in the MSPro search fields?

Autocorrect and Autocapitalize work normally in MSPro, but they are slightly limited in the search fields. As far as I cxan tell this is not different from the Android keyboard.
Did you install the dictionaries?
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Yes - I haven't spent a lot of time figuring out where it works and doesn't work yet. The search field happened to be the first one I tested the Hacker's Keyboard in so it is the one I noticed right away when it didn't catch my fat finger errors. It would be nice to see that field get autocorrect capabilities, but I'm not sure if it did with the stock keyboards either.
AirTurn PED
There is a field I have to specify for every text field called "inputType". One of the things you can pass to this is "textAutoCorrect". Apparently this enables the auto-correction. I don't think I would want that enabled on every field, and I'm not sure every user would want that active. Making that dynamic (i.e. adding a setting), would be quite tedious, so I wouldn't want to do that unless there was a huge demand. If there are some fields where everyone thinks it makes sense to support auto-correct, I am open to making the change.

Mike
I cannot envision using autocapitalisation/autocorrect on any of the MSPro inputs, except for notes.
Johan