• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transposing Jazz Lead Sheets
Hello:

I am exploring what the best options are for transposing jazz leadsheets.

I have lots of realbook charts as well as the FakebookPro app.

Of course Fakebookpro (in addition to other issues) does not include melodies.

So I am looking for whatever the options are for getting jazz standards with melody lines that can be transposed.

Maybe there is something available that I am missing.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Well, it's not possible with MSP for now. I'm hoping that MSP will support musescore and irealpro files someday but I fear it isn't in the near future if at all.

For now I recommend looking into the open source musescore app and it's Android companion songbook.

You might also want to look into IRealPro which is far better than Fakebookpro even if it also doesn't deal in melodies.
(07-14-2016, 03:30 PM)BRX Wrote: Well, it's not possible with MSP for now. I'm hoping that MSP will support musescore and irealpro files someday but I fear it isn't in the near future if at all.

For now I recommend looking into the open source musescore app and it's Android companion songbook.

You might also want to look into IRealPro which is far better than Fakebookpro even if it also doesn't deal in melodies.

Thank you so much for those suggestions.  I will research them further.

(Any additional suggestions are welcome.)

Jeff
A nice workaround for me seems to be:
- I create (or find on the internet) a song as MuseScore .MSCZ file
- I export the song (in my preferred key(s)) as PDF(s) using MuseScore's built-in PDF export
- I add a link to the PDF that points to the original .MSCZ file
- I import the PDF(s) as usual into MSP
I can use the PDF(s) with all MSP features like setlists, collections and so on.
In case someone asks for a different key, the link opens the .MSCZ in MuseScore (on my Windows PC) or in MuseScore Songbook (on my Android tablet). Both MuseScore and MuseScore Songbook support transposing on the fly.

There are some open issues and potential improvements regarding workflow and handling that have nothing to do with MSP, find some details and an example here: http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3161
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(07-15-2016, 08:43 PM)itsme Wrote: - I add a link to the PDF that points to the original .MSCZ file
You're talking about hardcoding a link in the PDF that points to a http link to a .MSCZ file stored at the MuseScore online resource, correct?
No. I'm talking about a link to a locally stored .MSCZ file. In the first step it is required to be stored in the same folder as the PDF.
The attachment BeiDirWarEsImmerSoSchoen.ZIP in http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3161 contains such a pair of .PDF and .MSCZ if you want to try it.

Here's how I created that link:
I open the PDF with the free "PDF-XChange Viewer" http://www.chip.de/downloads/PDF-XChange...39244.html  to add the link.
From the menu I select "Tools – Link Tools – Rectangle Link Tool" and add a rectangular link.
Then I open the link's properties window and select the "Open a file" action via "Actions - Add 'Open a file'...".
Another follow up window opens where I select the MSCZ file, and set "Open In:" to "Window set by user preference" and "Operation:" to "open".
From the "Appearance" menu you can set a frame around the link or add a textual comment via "Comments" to make the link visible.
A bit complicated, for now. I just wanted to see if it works. I'm looking for an easier way to do it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

OK, understood. Because you mentioned your MuseScore on PC and Songbook I was wondering where you stored the file.

It's also possible to make attachments to PDF files. If those could be opened from MSP to an external application like Songbook, it maybe would a bit easier and you needn't store them separately (and could give them to other musicians).

(If MP3s are attached to PDFs maybe the audio player could play them directly, I'm thinking on an unrelated note.)
I mentioned the PC because the link works both on the PC as on the tablet. It works fine with MSP and with some, but not every PDF Viewer.
This is why "stored in the same folder" is required, to allow copying both files into any folder, be it on PC or tablet and it keeps working fine.

I maintain my songs for MSP in a folder tree on my PC. These folders are  synchronized with "FolderSync" to my tablet and with "TeamDrive" to other band members' computers.

It's nice that the linked .MSCZ is the same file that I used to create the PDF and that I want to keep anyway for later edits.

Yes, that's why I'm thinking "linking" them as PDF-attachment would be also an option if it can be invoked from other apps like MSP.
Thanks so much, everyone.

I already downloaded and installed the free Musecore and was able to get a huge number of jazz standards in mxl format. I was able to load some in Musecrose and transpose them as needed. It worked!

So, I am already way ahead of where I was.

Thanks, again!

Jeff
Nice if it works for you.

I don't know from your post if you tried the Android MuseScore Companion Songbook, too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ore.player

I think it's well worth to price to have the ability to display and transpose .mscz files on your tablet natively.
(07-16-2016, 12:48 AM)BRX Wrote: Nice if it works for you.

I don't know from your post if you tried the Android MuseScore Companion Songbook, too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ore.player

I think it's well worth to price to have the ability to display and transpose .mscz files on your tablet natively.

Excellent! More great option to explore.

Jeff