• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clock display
It would be nice to have an optional clock display. When I'm playing gigs where we call tunes as we go to fill a specific set length, I currently have to exit Mobile Sheets to check the time (The app covers the system tray completely on my version of Android). It would be very convenient to have a clock overlay, perhaps similar to the metronome and audio player boxes that can be revealed and hidden, as well as moved around.
I can certainly work on adding a clock display in the future. I think I would want it to be set up as something that draws on top of the score instead of a floating window like the metronome and audio player. I could then make it's positioning configurable so you can position it in any of the corners or sides.

Having said all that, if you go to Settings->Display Settings and uncheck "Fullscreen Mode", the Android system tray at the top will be shown and the current time is visible. If you'd still rather have a clock that can be shown separately in the app, let me know.

Mike
I also missed a clock recently and had the same idea.
Switching full screen mode OFF is a good workaround.
When "Full screen mode" is ON you can make the system tray visible for some seconds by swiping from the top.
But the clock in the system tray is a bit too small for a quick glance on stage so I would like an integrated clock in MSP. My favorite position would be at the left side of the "Next Song" bar.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Have you guys never heard of a watch?

This is a prime example of feature creep, something I thought MSP was trying to avoid.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I stopped wearing watches 20 years ago.
But you are right, one could wear a watch. And have a separate tuner. And a separate metronome. And separate fake books.

If switching off immersive mode is not sufficient, I think a better alternative is a clock applet that forces a time display on top. Some other apps could benefit, too.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(08-13-2016, 06:46 AM)sciurius Wrote: I stopped wearing watches 20 years ago.

So did I, but I still own one and am quite willing to wear it, if the occasion calls for it.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I have a small travel clock that I use for that purpose.

Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I just keep the navigation bar visible, no need to hide it by checking the hide or full screen options an the p900'
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(08-11-2016, 05:19 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I can certainly work on adding a clock display in the future. I think I would want it to be set up as something that draws on top of the score instead of a floating window like the metronome and audio player. I could then make it's positioning configurable so you can position it in any of the corners or sides.

I like that, too.

Quote:Having said all that, if you go to Settings->Display Settings and uncheck "Fullscreen Mode", the Android system tray at the top will be shown and the current time is visible. If you'd still rather have a clock that can be shown separately in the app, let me know.

Mike

Thanks! That worked. Not sure why I didn't think to try that. I recently upgraded my version of Android and it changed how the system tray works. My previous version had a Windows start-menu style menu bar, and would bring up the clock display if I tapped the bottom right corner, even in full screen mode on Mobile Sheets. The new version moved it to the top right in tiny, tiny font, and added a top-down swipe menu, like most phones have.
(08-13-2016, 06:46 AM)sciurius Wrote: I stopped wearing watches 20 years ago.
But you are right, one could wear a watch. And have a separate tuner. And a separate metronome. And separate fake books.

If switching off immersive mode is not sufficient, I think a better alternative is a clock applet that forces a time display on top. Some other apps could benefit, too.

I used to wear a watch in college, before I got a cell phone. Now I have no need to wear one.

I looked into clock apps, but it doesn't seem to be possible to have an "always on top" clock in Android, like you could in Windows.
(08-17-2016, 11:18 AM)Poparad Wrote: I used to wear a watch in college, before I got a cell phone. Now I have no need to wear one.

I abandoned my watch long before having another time source in my pocket. I found out that an occasional glance at the clocks that are permanently surrounding us allows developing a 'feel' for the time. Most of the time I can tell the time within 10 minutes or so, which is sufficient for practically all purposes. My wife usually manages to get the time right within a just a few minutes.

Bottom line: Do we really need to know the time at such a high precision at all times?

Having said that, playing on stage is one of the situations I do lose track of the time...
Johan
Has any more thought been put into adding a clock display option?

I do not wear a watch (gets in the way of performance) and I am trying to minimize the number of items I need to take with me to a gig. And time management is a fundamental part of working a gig.

With my tablet, I no longer need binders of music, a metronome, a tuner, and a set list, but I still find myself having to pull up my phone for the time.

Adding it to the title bar or somewhere else on the overlay, or in the set list window would be ok by me.

Thanks for your renewed consideration.

(I know that disabling full screen mode is an option, but it adds a bit more clutter than I prefer.)

Serafin
Adding a clock hasn't been high on my priority list, but I can try to slip it into an update as quite a few users seem to want it. In order to prevent frequent UI updates, I'll check if an update is required for the clock display every ~60 seconds (so the time won't be perfectly accurate, but it will be close enough).  I'll synchronize the display updates based upon the clock (so if it's 6 seconds into the minute, I'll wait 54 seconds until the next UI update). 

Mike
Thanks!!! Looking forward to it.

Agree, minute-wise precision should be sufficient for 95% of the use cases. I can use my phone for those special cases where seconds matter (counting down New Year's Eve or certain grand entrances or set transitions Smile )