• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text Editor
I'm not sure if I can describe this problem accurately but here goes.

I am using a Samsung Tab 2 with Android 6.0.1. I use mainly chordpro files and often need to edit them.

So in song view I click on Edit File which invokes the inbuilt text editor. When I start to edit, the soft keyboard pops up as expected and all is fine until I need to edit the text towards the bottom of the file which is obscured by the keyboard. To select the bit I want to edit I would have expected to scroll down by swiping the screen up as this is how other text editors behave. Instead I have to press the soft key which makes the keyboard disappear then select the text to be edited. This causes the keyboard to pop up again with the line to be edited showing immediately above the keyboad.

In short I can't reveal the part of the text file which is obscured by the keyboard without closing the keyboard. Instead, for each line to be edited at the bottom of the page I have  press the soft key to close the keyboard, select the new editing position which then brings up the keyboad again and positions the line to be edited immediately above the keyboad. And so it goes on for any edits at the bottom of the file making editing quite tortuous.

I have searched the forums to see if this is a problem for anyone else but I couldn't find anything so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Any ideas?
I have seen this problem as well, but I've really struggled to fix it. This only happens after editing has started for some reason.
Well this problem only seems to affect the Samsung tablet from as far as I can tell. I've tried every suggestion I've found out there, and nothing works.
I just tried it on a Samsung Tab4 running Android 4.4.2. Same problem.

Is there any way to use a third party text editor?

Thanks.
I tried this on my p-900, the scroll worked fine. Maybe a setting of some kind?
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
If the SM-P900 works correctly it could be related to the stylus facility in the Samsung Note tablets?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I don‘t think it's a setting I've missed after all I just want the text editor to behave as any other one does by default.

In what way could it be related to the Samsung Note stylus facility?
Well there is an approach I haven't tried yet. I'm going to watch for the overall screen size changing as a result of the keyboard being displayed, and when that occurs, I'll resize the text field myself (instead of relying on the normal approach which works on other tablets). This may work with the Samsung - I'll post after I've tried it.
Looks like that worked. Pretty sad that I had to manually account for the keyboard like that, but at least I have a working solution now.
I played around some more. I only have a few text type files, one is from chordie.com, another is not. The .com file will not advance by dragging, but it will using the horizontal single space key to move the cursor sideways. The other file reacts to dragging the file up/down.

Did some more experimenting. The file that drags has more vertical clearance, moving it as far up as possible, the lowest letters on the page are at the bottom of the screen. When it's in that position, it will not scroll up. but do move up like the .com file. It looks like the bottom of the file limit prevents the scroll, the page "can't' move up, there's nothing to move, it's as far up as it can get.

Darn, Fixed as I was playing. Blush
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Hi Mike

I'm not sure I understand all that but the new release seems to have fixed the problem so, wow, thanks for that. My life will be so much simpler now Smile