• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fretboards (chord diagrams)
Most ChordPro processing programs can include a list of fretboards (chord diagrams) of the chords used in the song. See e.g. http://www.chordii.org/ . Usually, they go at the end of the song.
This makes perfectly sense when you have a music stand with one or two pages of music.
In the modern world of music viewing tools like MSPro, this is no longer the case. You cannot quickly page to the end of the song to view a chord, and return to where you started.
So I propose a new feature, which will be part of the upcoming ChordPro version 5 standard.

{chord: Bb base-fret 1 frets 1 1 3 3 3 1}

This is identical to the already existing {define: ...} directive, but it also shows the chord diagram at the place where the directive occurs in the source.

Mike, do you think this is feasable?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
It's certainly feasible, but I'll need to figure out how I want to go about drawing the chord diagram. I'm not sure if it's better to do it as a series of 2D drawing commands or by trying to utilize an existing chord diagram image and just drawing dots on top of that for the frets.
IIRC, you are planning to develop a (scalable) stamp for a fretboard anyway, so why not use that?
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Well sure, that is something I'm going to develop, but I don't have a gameplan for that stamp yet. You are correct that whatever implementation I decide on could be used for both.
A problem I see here is that many chords have up to 20 different ways to be formed (just on a guitar!), and not all inversions will sound equally good in a given song. Not to mention that I may prefer a different inversion than you do, and either one may sound equally good.
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
You misunderstood. The idea is that MSPro provides a stamp (empty fretboard), you provide the dots.
Johan