• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets not loading without wifi

UPDATE:
Some users have found that using the update assistant here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features to update Windows 10 fixes the issue for them.

A number of users have contacted me about an issue where the Windows 10 version of MobileSheets will not load without an active WiFi connection. I have done a lot of research on this issue, and found that other applications have been reported as having the same problem, as can be seen in this massive thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi...5316080246. After working some of the users experiencing this problem, I have confirmed that the problem appears to be with the Microsoft Store or Windows, not with MobileSheets itself. There is unfortunately only one way to fix the problem that is guaranteed to work: Windows 10 has to be reset. This option can be found by searching for "Reset this PC" in the Windows 10 settings.  I'm sorry for those users who are inconvenienced by this - until Microsoft has a fix for the underlying problem (whether in the store or in Windows itself), there is nothing I can do in my app to handle it.

Mike
Oh no, that will be a problem for many of us... I often work outside home for concerts and actually prefer not to connect to avoid surprises during live performances!
Thanks for the message...
I don't think this problem is affecting most users. I can't reproduce it myself on any of the devices I've tried it on. I just wanted to post information in case any users encountered it.
(03-01-2017, 02:51 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I don't think this problem is affecting most users. I can't reproduce it myself on any of the devices I've tried it on. I just wanted to post information in case any users encountered it.

Thank you very much for researching this problem Mike as it has created a serious issue for me. I will follow up with that remedy immediately.
(03-01-2017, 08:28 PM)carlinlemon Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 02:51 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I don't think this problem is affecting most users. I can't reproduce it myself on any of the devices I've tried it on. I just wanted to post information in case any users encountered it.

Thank you very much for researching this problem Mike as it has created a serious issue for me. I will follow up with that remedy immediately.

I did this fix a couple weeks ago and it worked perfectly. I just wanted to send out an update for anyone else that may have encountered the same problem. Thanks Mike.

Carlin
(02-28-2017, 04:49 PM)Zuberman Wrote: A number of users have contacted me about an issue where the Windows 10 version of MobileSheets will not load without an active WiFi connection. I have done a lot of research on this issue, and found that other applications have been reported as having the same problem, as can be seen in this massive thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi...5316080246. After working some of the users experiencing this problem, I have confirmed that the problem appears to be with the Microsoft Store or Windows, not with MobileSheets itself. There is unfortunately only one way to fix the problem that is guaranteed to work: Windows 10 has to be reset. This option can be found by searching for "Reset this PC" in the Windows 10 settings.  I'm sorry for those users who are inconvenienced by this - until Microsoft has a fix for the underlying problem (whether in the store or in Windows itself), there is nothing I can do in my app to handle it.

Mike

Hello,

I have this problem on my Surface Pro 4. When launching MobileSheets without WiFi connection, the MobileSheets Logo appears shortly and then the message "you need to be online to open" appears (or something similar - I am using the German version. See attachment).

Two issues here:

I am not sure, whether the answers.microsoft.com link given above addresses the same problem. I did not go through all the posts but it seems they are treating a case where Metro Apps won't launch independently of the presence of a WiFi connection. Furthermore, in my case,  MobileSheets is the only Metro App which creates this type of problem. All others, e.g. StaffPad, lauch satisfactorily. You may want to review the case.

The following workaround is not satisfactory but helps to solve some of my problems:

1. After a reboot, I connect to the internet
  2. I launch MobileSheets without problem
  3. I close MobileSheets
  4. I disconnect from the Internet
  5. I launch MobileSheets and it still opens without problems, even without Internet
  6. I place my Surface into hibernation/Ruhezustand
  7. I wake up the Surface again - e.g. at the gig site
  8. I launch MobileSheets again and it still opens without problems, even without Internet

I have been using MobileSheets Pro on my Android devices for quite some time now and have been very pleased with it. I want to use it on my Surface because the Surface has a reasonable screen (> 12") und a reasonable Stylus input wich is a must for its use during rehearsals.

Thanks
Heinz ....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Heinz,

You said that you are actually seeing an error message when you run the application without WiFi - this seems to be different than what other users have reported. Did you see this message: "Die Testperiode für diese App ist abgelaufen und die Lizenzprüfung war nicht erfolgreich. Bitte richten Sie eine WiFi Verbindung ein, um die Benutzung der App zu autorisieren."? If so, that's means you are failing the check without WiFi, which means the license caching in Windows is not working for some reason. In that case, I actually can do something about that problem. In a previous version of the application, I had added my own license caching in the hopes that it would help with the problems I described above. Users reported that they still couldn't run the application without WiFi, so I took that code out. The difference is that they didn't see a message about the license check failling. The application immediately closed for them. I can go ahead and add back my own licensing caching, which should take care of this issue for you. Please verify for me that you are seeing the message I listed, in which case I'll make the changes for the license caching.

As a side note, are you logging into Windows 10 with your Microsoft account, or are you using an offline account? I log in to Windows 10 with my Microsoft account, and I wonder if that affects the way licensing works.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks Mike for coming back so quickly. No the message does not mention a license .... And yes, I am always logging in with ma Microsoft account.

See attachment for a screen shot

regards
heinz ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I know this is a hassle, but would you be willing to change the language on your device to English and generate the error again? I want to be able to search for information using the exact error message. At the moment, I'm struggling to find any information about that error message. It seems to be a message Windows is popping up, not my app, as that message doesn't appear in my app at all.

Thanks,
Mike
(05-29-2017, 07:49 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I know this is a hassle, but would you be willing to change the language on your device to English and generate the error again? I want to be able to search for information using the exact error message. At the moment, I'm struggling to find any information about that error message. It seems to be a message Windows is popping up, not my app, as that message doesn't appear in my app at all.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,

Here the English Version of the error message

Regards
Heinz ...
Thank you Heinz. I just searched for those phrases, and I was only able to find one relevant search result, and it wasn't helpful. This seems to be a new error message with the Creator's Update. Did you happen to install that?

While exploring this issue, I discovered that there is a newer way to check for application license info than what I was using. I don't know if this will have any impact on the error, but it's certainly worth a try. I'll include this in the update I'm going to push out tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mike
(05-29-2017, 05:41 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Thank you Heinz. I just searched for those phrases, and I was only able to find one relevant search result, and it wasn't helpful.  This seems to be a new error message with the Creator's Update. Did you happen to install that?  

While exploring this issue, I discovered that there is a newer way to check for application license info than what I was using.  I don't know if this will have any impact on the error, but it's certainly worth a try. I'll include this in the update I'm going to push out tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, I am using the most recent Version, i.e. the Creator's Update. Please let me know, if I can be of any further help. 

Heinz ...
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the latest version of MobileSheets (version 1.8.3) still exhibits the same behaviour: An internet connection is needed for the first launch of the App after a system reboot. It can do without Internet for any subsequent launches until a new reboot. The error message is still the same. Sorry for not having any better news.

If you want, I can sideload a test version of the App that does some event logging and provide you with the logs as I understand that you cannot reproduce this problem on your system(s).

Regards
Heinz ...
Heinz,

Sure, we can try to have you install a test version. Please email me at mike@zubersoft.com so I can give you the information for where to download it and how to install it.

I should mention that I just put together a new computer for my wife, so it was a completely fresh OS install, I installed MobileSheets to test this issue, unhooked the ethernet cable, rebooted the machine, and MobileSheets worked completely fine without internet. I still really think this is an issue with Windows 10 and the Microsoft Store, otherwise you would think after testing on 6 different machines I would be able to reproduce this problem at least once. The fact that every user that has done a reset of Windows 10 never encounters the problem again also tells me that it has very little to do with my app.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm not sure if it will help, but I posted this thread on the Microsoft support forums in the hopes that they will give me an answer: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums...=wpdevelop