• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets not loading without wifi
Heinz,

Several responses have been posted to that thread I linked to, but nothing useful has come from it yet. Xavier has requested information from the Windows Event Log after the error occurs. If you search in Windows 10 for "Event Log" it should take you to the right viewer. Please check that to see if there is any pertinent information to share in that thread.

If I don't receive any help after the next response, I may try to elevate this with Microsoft by going through a different channel.

Thanks,
Mike
I can also confirm the issue with the app not loading without a wifi connection.
I used my mobile phone as a mobile-hotspot, turned on the mobile data, connected my laptop with the mobilsheets for windows 10 and was able to launch the app.

I could then turn off the mobile data and keep using the app . When turning off the mobile-hotspot though, the app stops working and stucks on the last used screen.

Since I cannot restore windows at the moment (I do not own the laptop), I hope that windows-store can find another solution to the problem...

Greetings!
electricOdysseas

Windows 11
Android
MobileSheetsPro
(06-05-2017, 06:07 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Heinz,

Several responses have been posted to that thread I linked to, but nothing useful has come from it yet.  Xavier has requested information from the Windows Event Log after the error occurs.  If you search in Windows 10 for "Event Log" it should take you to the right viewer.  Please check that to see if there is any pertinent information to share in that thread.

If I don't receive any help after the next response, I may try to elevate this with Microsoft by going through a different channel.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,

Indeed I find an error in the log (see below). Googling the error message shows that in the XBOX environment, the same error appears with certain games. And I cannot - similar to others - find the protocol/log which is referenced in the error description

Regards
Heinz ...

Protokollname: Application
Quelle:        Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
Datum:         06.06.2017 23:12:35
Ereignis-ID:   5973
Aufgabenkategorie: (5973)
Ebene:         Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:
Benutzer:      HEINZ02\Heinz
Computer:      HEINZ02
Beschreibung:
Bei der Aktivierung der App „41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr!App“ ist folgender Fehler aufgetreten: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x803f9008. Weitere Informationen finden Sie im Protokoll „Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Betriebsbereit“.
Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />
    <EventID>5973</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>5973</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-06-06T21:12:35.347478800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12476</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="7536" ThreadID="8212" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>HEINZ02</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1580283753-2979410392-3844040679-1001" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="AppId">41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr!App</Data>
    <Data Name="ErrorCode">-2143318008</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Thank you Heinz - I've copied that information over to the other post on the Microsoft forum so hopefully they can explain what is going on with that event log entry.
It looks like they are forcing me to put in a support ticket if I want help with this problem, claiming that it's due to users modifying their registry or file permissions. Heinz, I have a favor to ask, it looks like these links may be related to the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...s-modified
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...cation-log
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...a14d452f66
https://www.eightforums.com/performance-...4-bit.html
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...6986cafede
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1...es-on-open

Can you give some of those suggestions a try to see if any of them fix the problem? I hate to make you work on this, but your help is invaluable as I can't reproduce the problem myself. As a last resort, I can try to put in a support ticket with Microsoft, but it comes with a hefty cost.

Thanks,
Mike

Update:
Another article mentioned a problem happening when UAC is disabled. Do you have UAC enabled in Windows 10?
Ok Mike, I may give it a try, although I have little hope as none of these articles seem to explain, why the App starts after connecting to the Internet and keeps doing so even after disconnecting. It may also take some time as I need to find an appropriate time slot allowing me to do potentially dangerous things to my computer.

Regards, Heinz
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Do you have UAC enabled or disabled in Windows 10? That was just listed in one of the links I found, so I'm curious if that's related in any way.

Mike
Mike, I tried a few things including changing UAC settings and changing ownership of WindowsApp from TrustedInstaller to my account and back. Alas, none of them did solve the problem. At least the problem didn't get any worse ...

The forum links you provided relate much more to problems with the store rather than with a particular app. And as I said in an earlier post, I don't believe that the issue is related to permissions/security because everything works fine once I have been connected to the Internet. Connecting to the Internet should not change permission/ownership settings. Your earlier approach in studying license issues seems much more adequate. And again: I use a number of other Metro Apps, all of them work fine.

Heinz ...
Heinz,

Thanks for trying them. Just to verify - you did try to reset MobileSheets in Windows 10 by going to Add/Remove Programs->MobileSheets->Advanced Options->Reset, right?

I know the links are with the store, but I can't find any information on this issue anywhere, so I was hoping the issues were somehow related. The Microsoft rep on that forum post claims it has to due with the registry or file permissions on users' machines, but if that's true, I don't know why other paid metro apps (that you bought on the store and were created with UWP) are not experiencing this same issue. He also gave me no guidance on what users can do to fix the issue. So my only option is now to pay a significant amount of money to get support from Microsoft, which may not even be useful if they are just going to blame it on the configuration of users' machines. I also don't think it has anything to do with licensing at all, because my app doesn't seem to be launching (my app doesn't display that message in the screenshot you provided).

I'm planning on putting out an update tomorrow, and as part of that, I will include an option in the settings to enable logging. You can load the app with WiFi, enable logging, then restart and load it without WiFi, and we should be able to see a log file generated if the app is actually being launched. That should at least provide more information about whether or not my app is being initialized, and if so, how far along it gets before it's closed.

Thanks,
Mike
I just released version 1.8.6 with a new logging feature. It would be really helpful if someone who can't run the app without internet would enable this logging feature under Other Settings, then disable internet (so the app no longer loads correctly), run the app, and then send me log.txt from C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState. If you can't find that file, that would indicate my app is never loaded at all.

Thanks,
Mike
A user helped me test this issue with logging enabled. Sure enough, no log file was generated, meaning Windows is never actually running MobileSheets (it's closing instantly before executing any of my code). That means there is basically nothing I can do in my application to prevent this problem. Microsoft has been absolutely no help either, so as it stands, there is still only one fix for this problem - resetting Windows 10. That repairs the registry and/or file system, which fixes the problem for every user that has done it. If I can ever figure out how to reproduce this problem, I'll investigate what exactly is broken in the registry and/or file system that causes the error, but until that happens, there isn't much I can do.
I had the same problem this evening at a rehearsal and I'm the band leader.  Fortunately it wasn't at a gig.  I reset it and it working fine now.  The question is: How confident can I be going forward as the main forum that my band rehearses and performs at does not have wifi in the building??

Len Savery
To be honest, I'm not sure what mechanism the Microsoft store uses to determine if a user is licensed or not. In my code, I just use Microsoft's framework to tell me if the user is licensed or not. Very few users seem to run into issues with this, and I assume the majority don't have internet access at their venues. I think as long as you log into Windows using the same email address you used to purchase the app, there should be no issues with the app licensing. Having said that, the FastSpring store version of MobileSheets (https://zubersoft.onfastspring.com/) uses my license server to validate the purchase, so I have complete control over how that works. There are only a couple of license checks required and then internet access is no longer needed. The major limitation with the FastSpring version is that it uses a license key and that key can only be used on a single device. If you want more information on this, or want to discuss switching over, email me at mike@zubersoft.com.

Mike