• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Idea...
Given that tablets can now be connected in a master/slave relationship (via Bluetooth or WIFI), could it be possible for the master device to update the library (in an incremental fashion) of the slave device(s)?

Scenario: The band's leader has added a song to the catalog, and included it in a setlist.
The leader has created an .msb file and distributed it to the various band members, but one (or more) member(s) somehow does not have the updated file. 
We're at the performance venue, and something must be done NOW!

Could an incremental update be somehow pushed through the aforementioned Bluetooth or WIFI connection?
I know files can be sent by either protocol, but I'm imagining a process that would directly update the slave's MobileSheets database, rather than the user needing to choose how to deal with a 'normally' received file.

Just a crazy idea...
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
Incremental updates are a heck of a lot more complex than anything that is being done with the "connect devices" feature. While I will be able to leverage the code used to send data between devices, implementing the code necessary to handle merging changes from one library to another is going to take a lot of time and effort. It's definitely a feature I want to add as soon as possible, along with other synchronization features (synchronizing to Dropbox, for example), but I can't say exactly when I'm going to focus on this. It may be before the big annotations update, or it may be after.

Mike
Thanks, Mike!
So it seems this is something you have already considered.
Probably not something I would use much, just one of those 'what if...' musings.
In the meantime, you can always share the new song/setlist via bluetooth "at the venue". This wouldn't require any wifi network, just what you are already using for master/slave.
(04-05-2017, 02:17 AM)AndyL Wrote: In the meantime, you can always share the new song/setlist via bluetooth "at the venue". This wouldn't require any wifi network, just what you are already using for master/slave.

Yes, the file could be sent to another user via Bluetooth.
But then they have to futz around importing it and setting the various parameters like setlist, genre, etc.
What I was envisioning was that the song(s) could be sent with all those parameters already set, and the receiving device would be ready to go immediately.

Not something I would likely need or use, but I do see how others might benefit in a pinch.