• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A way to ignore letters after a certain character for Master/Slave
I'm trying to find an easy way to be able to pull up songs via MASTER/SLAVE when the songs I want to pull up aren't in the current set list.

I label all my charts as such:
Overjoyed (Db) - CHART - Bass
Overjoyed (Db) - CHART - Guitar
Overjoyed (Db) - CHART - Tenor Sax
etc etc...

Is there a way for MSP to ignore all characters PAST the first "("? Since the names of the charts are all different and labeled by the instrument name, I'm wondering if there's a way to ignore all characters past a certain character and then MSP will be able to sync the songs when I change songs via my Master tablet.
12 tablets (Insignia, ONN, Dragon Touch). Ranging from Android 5 to 9.
One of the things I'm trying to finish for the next update is the ability to choose how to match songs. I am going to add the ability to specify whether the song title, custom or custom 2 fields are used for matching. Eventually when a song number field is added, I will add that as an option too. Do you think that might need your needs versus trying to introduce complex rules for how titles are matched?

Mike
(12-20-2018, 10:00 AM)Zuberman Wrote: One of the things I'm trying to finish for the next update is the ability to choose how to match songs. I am going to add the ability to specify whether the song title, custom or custom 2 fields are used for matching. Eventually when a song number field is added, I will add that as an option too. Do you think that might need your needs versus trying to introduce complex rules for how titles are matched?

Mike

I think so. I imagine I’ll have to go in and edit each song so that the custom son title doesn’t include my “(key signature) - CHART - PART NAME”. 

Unless there’s a way to name songs upon import?

Regardless, I think what you’re describing will meet the needs of matching songs when the titles aren’t exactly the same.
Using any of the options under the Import will not let you name them. Only the song editor (accessed when tapping "New" on the Songs or Recent tab) will let you change the title. I'm considering also changing this in the next update as there were requests to allow that to be modified when using one of the import options to import a single file.

Mike
(12-24-2018, 06:19 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Using any of the options under the Import will not let you name them. Only the song editor (accessed when tapping "New" on the Songs or Recent tab) will let you change the title. I'm considering also changing this in the next update as there were requests to allow that to be modified when using one of the import options to import a single file.

Mike

I don't know anything about writing code ... so forgive my ignorance.

Would applying some sort of filter be possible? As in "ignore all characters after [INSERT CERTAIN CHARACTER HERE]" be possible?

I'm trying to think of a way so that when I import a song called:
Stand By Me (F) - CHART - BASS

the song name within MSP gets logged as:
Stand By Me
-or-
Stand By Me (F)

I label my charts this way so within the title I know the NAME, KEY SIGNATURE, TYPE OF CHART, INSTRUMENT NAME
Well there are some things to consider about adding a filter setting like that. There would be the logic to figure out, such as - if the filter actually matches, at the start, then it's simple to just throw away the characters after that. If it matches in the middle, I'd assume you'd still want to allow the characters before it, but none of the characters after it. If it doesn't match at all, then the default title should be used. The other part (the more difficult part in my mind), is in determining how to offer a setting lke that in a way that makes sense to the majority of users. Just having a label like, "Title filter" isn't going to make much sense to people. It's another advanced feature that I only imagine a very small subset of users would take advantage of. It's also tedious to use as you would have to specify a new filter every time you imported a new file if you wanted the filter to actually work, which doesn't really save you much time over just specifying a title (hence my suggestion to just add an option to specify the exact title used for the song as mentioned in the last reply). It also only really makes sense when importing a single file unless you happened to be importing lots of files where only one part of the name is different between them (which is possible I suppose). So I think I'd like to hear why this type of setting would be more useful than just letting the user modify the title that MobileSheetsPro is going to use when importing a single file.

Thanks,
Mike
IMO, I might be the only person who would need this "filter title upon import" function. 

Your plan to be able to match songs on tablets by using the Custom Title field will work great for my needs. I'll just take the time to rename my charts.
(12-25-2018, 04:23 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Well there are some things to consider about adding a filter setting like that. There would be the logic to figure out, such as - if the filter actually matches, at the start, then it's simple to just throw away the characters after that. If it matches in the middle, I'd assume you'd still want to allow the characters before it, but none of the characters after it. If it doesn't match at all, then the default title should be used. The other part (the more difficult part in my mind), is in determining how to offer a setting lke that in a way that makes sense to the majority of users. Just having a label like, "Title filter" isn't going to make much sense to people. It's another advanced feature that I only imagine a very small subset of users would take advantage of. It's also tedious to use as you would have to specify a new filter every time you imported a new file if you wanted the filter to actually work, which doesn't really save you much time over just specifying a title (hence my suggestion to just add an option to specify the exact title used for the song as mentioned in the last reply). It also only really makes sense when importing a single file unless you happened to be importing lots of files where only one part of the name is different between them (which is possible I suppose). So I think I'd like to hear why this type of setting would be more useful than just letting the user modify the title that MobileSheetsPro is going to use when importing a single file.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I'm just now getting back around to the swing of full-time gigs. I'm updating my tablets and have a day off to dig into this a little.

In your opinion, what would be the best way to be able to call up any song on the slaves from the master?  My tablets have the same songs on them but the name of the songs differ...i.e.
Stand By Me (D) - Chart - Concert
Stand By Me (D) - Chart - Drums
Stand By Me (D) - Chart - Tenor Sax
Stand By Me (D) - Chart - Bass
etc etc...

Should I go in and edit the formatted title of each song? Something like "Stand By Me (D)"?

I'd love to be able to control the slaves with my master if our singer calls an audible that's not in the setlist.

Thanks!
Do the song titles not match on each tablet? Would it be easier to use a different field for matching such as the new song ID field or custom/custom2? You can change that now with the latest version.

Mike
Re: Song Titles
For the song "Stand By Me"

The Keyboardist's tablet's chart reads "Stand By Me (D) - CHART - Concert".
The Bassist's tablet's chart reads  "Stand By Me (D) - CHART - Bass".
The Drummer's tablet's chart reads  "Stand By Me (D) - CHART - Drums".
etc etc

Each tablet has that musician's chart in them. 
Drums Tablet only has Drum charts
Bass Tablet only has Bass charts
etc.

I have 700 songs in each tablet.

Just as a test I changed the Custom Sort Title of a song on the Master Tablet (keyboardist's) and did the same to the Drum's Tablet. Synced them via Master/Slave and selected to sync by Custom Sort Title. And voila, it worked.

I'm just wondering the best way to edit 700 songs on each tablet.

Is there a way to edit the metadata in the PDF and have it auto populate if I were to re-import all the songs?
When I open my PDF charts in Acrobat Pro, I'm noticing there's 2 fields wherein names can be different.

There's a Filename and a Title.

The Filename is the full name of the chart, ex: Stand By Me (D) - CHART - DRUMS.

I can change the Title to Stand By Me (D) and the Filename stays in tact, which is good.

When I go to import into MSP, it will still pull the Title from Filename. 

Is there a way we can have MSP set the Title of the PDF from the Title of the PDF file rather than the Filename?
At the moment, no, I don't read any of the PDF metadata fields such as Title. Having said that, I absolutely plan to do that at some point so I can also support other fields. The only problem is that the option to populate the title from the PDF metadata would only apply when importing PDFs, so if you selected both a PDF and an image file, it might not be obvious what behavior would be selected. So I would have to think of a different way to let the user choose the behavior for PDFs versus the behavior for other file types. Like perhaps if there was an option for "Populate title from PDF metadata", a new option would show up below for the fallback behavior which would support the current options for other file types.

Mike
(01-18-2019, 05:49 AM)Zuberman Wrote: At the moment, no, I don't read any of the PDF metadata fields such as Title. Having said that, I absolutely plan to do that at some point so I can also support other fields. The only problem is that the option to populate the title from the PDF metadata would only apply when importing PDFs, so if you selected both a PDF and an image file, it might not be obvious what behavior would be selected. So I would have to think of a different way to let the user choose the behavior for PDFs versus the behavior for other file types. Like perhaps if there was an option for "Populate title from PDF metadata", a new option would show up below for the fallback behavior which would support the current options for other file types.

Mike

I often forget that people are importing files other than PDF. For myself, it's strictly PDF files.

I started to edit each song 1 by 1 with the companion app but quickly realized it would take me days of non-stop editing to do 700charts x's 9 tablets.

At any rate, I'll await some sort of MetaData importing functionality and thanks for helping me with this.