• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheetsPro for E-Ink Devices now available
A specialized version of MobileSheetsPro optimized for e-ink devices such as the Boox Max 2 Pro is now available on the FastSpring store here: https://zubersoft.onfastspring.com/

This version is different from the standard version of MobileSheetsPro in the following ways:

- The entire application uses a light theme.  Almost all icons and text are black on white providing the greatest contrast and easy readibility. All screens in the application have been updated to work well on e-ink devices.
- Almost all animations in the app have been eliminated. This results in faster page turns, better transitions between tabs on the library screen, and fewer graphical artifacts.
- Freeform annotations with the stylus utilize special rendering on Boox devices allowing the drawings to show up in real time. This makes it much easier to write and draw. The stylus eraser can also be used when in freeform mode to draw a box around content to erase.
- Optimizations have been put in place for pinch zooming and scrolling to make them more fluid
- A new application icon was created that matches the design of the other standard application icons. 

If you are the owner of an e-ink device such as the Boox Max 2 Pro, this is the version you will want to use.

I may put together a short video clip of the Boox Max 2 Pro running this version if any users are interested. I am extremely impressed with the Boox Max 2 Pro now and I think it's a great choice for anyone wanting a 13" device with great battery life.

Mike
That sounds fantastic. I would love to see some footage.
I'm interested to see the video clip too.
Does this means the long awaited annotation rework is about to come for the rest of us?
I wish I could find a 22 inches E-Ink to get every day advantage of thiose new features!
I even consider the price of buying two 13'' units to be able to use that new version!
Yes, the rework is at the top of my list. I just wanted to get the e-ink version created as the standard version has some serious usability issues on e-ink devices.
I've put together a short video here demonstrating what it looks like on the Boox Max 2 Pro: www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/video/EBoox.mp4

It's nothing fancy, but hopefully that shows how well the app works now with the new design.  For those that have seen the app with the old design, I'm sure it will seem much nicer. If people want a comparison, I can show that as well.

Mike
Wow, that looks amazing. Annotating nearly instant. Everything very fast for an ereader.

Finally proper A4 Android option with long battery life. Thank you!

Personally I still like better Sony's DPT-RP1.
The only glitch to be sorted on rooted version is how to enable Bluetooth page turner. Unfortunately Sony crippled 2nd generation to BT data transfer only.
Looks like 3rd gen. of Digital Paper is on the way this year.
This all looks amazing!  I had been looking into getting a Max2 e-reader and then I saw your post about the new version of MobileSheets.  I use a lot of scrolling with my current version, is there much delay when doing this on an e-reader.  Your demo was on the pro version which has more Ram then the the previous Max2.  I was thinking of getting that’s one primarily because it is black and would blend into a stand better, do you feel that there is a performance difference running the MS software on either version?
There is a little bit of delay with scrolling because I had to disable A2 processing. The reason is that, if A2 is enabled, which allows for smooth scrolling, 2 seconds after you stop interacting with the screen the tablet will do a complete screen refresh, which flashes black and then white. This is extremely annoying, because it occurs if you scroll any of the lists even the smallest amount. So I opted to turn off A2 processing for the lists, which means the scrolling stutters much more (typical performance for an e-ink device), but it doesn't flash in your face when you release.

I don't think there would be a significant difference in performance between the Boox Max 2 and Boox Max 2 Pro as far as MobileSheetsPro is concerned. I can ask my contact at the e-reader store (https://ereader.store/en/) about this, as he has tested many different e-ink devices.

Mike

Update: My contact said he has been testing only on the Boox Max 2, and it works great.
Thanks for the update about the scrolling, I think with a larger screen size I may not need to scroll as much but am really looking forward to the battery improvement and ease on the eyes.  I appreciate you answering my questions as you’ve always been really helpful.  Thanks, ordering my ereader today!
Hello, thanks for your help with my questions before... I just watched a video of a Padmu device that syncs 2 Boox Max devices together for a two page view.  I have often wished I could run mobile sheets on two tablets side by side communicating over WiFi.  Just curious if this is something you have researched or are thinking of developing in the future especially now with a light version for ereaders.  Have seen this before with the Gvido reader but love the functionality and flexibility of mobile sheets.
This has been added in version 2.4.9. Of MobileSheets
If I am not mistaken in can be done over both wifi or bluetooth. Choice is up to the user

Rudy
Rudy is correct - to connect multiple devices, tap the three dots at the top right of the library screen, then tap "Connect Devices", set up one device as the primary/master by clicking "New Master", check the option for "Book Mode", and then tap OK. You can then connect the other device, and they will operate as if they are one device with two screens. You need to have the same library set up on both devices for this to work.

Mike
(03-16-2019, 04:05 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: A specialized version of MobileSheetsPro optimized for e-ink devices such as the Boox Max 2 Pro is now available on the FastSpring store here: https://zubersoft.onfastspring.com/

This version is different from the standard version of MobileSheetsPro in the following ways:

- The entire application uses a light theme.  Almost all icons and text are black on white providing the greatest contrast and easy readibility. All screens in the application have been updated to work well on e-ink devices.
- Almost all animations in the app have been eliminated. This results in faster page turns, better transitions between tabs on the library screen, and fewer graphical artifacts.
- Freeform annotations with the stylus utilize special rendering on Boox devices allowing the drawings to show up in real time. This makes it much easier to write and draw. The stylus eraser can also be used when in freeform mode to draw a box around content to erase.
- Optimizations have been put in place for pinch zooming and scrolling to make them more fluid
- A new application icon was created that matches the design of the other standard application icons. 

If you are the owner of an e-ink device such as the Boox Max 2 Pro, this is the version you will want to use.

I may put together a short video clip of the Boox Max 2 Pro running this version if any users are interested. I am extremely impressed with the Boox Max 2 Pro now and I think it's a great choice for anyone wanting a 13" device with great battery life.

Mike
Very good news!!!  Smile 
In the video is the A2 mode on or off? In particular, is the A2 mode on when turning music pages? I don't like A2 mode because of ghosting so it is important for me to know.

I suggest to divide settings in more pages accessible with some arrow buttons in order to avoid scrolling.
The settings screen is mostly dynamic and is driven by components from Google. I just supply some glue in terms of what settings to display and how to map them back to my code. Doing something like trying to redesign the settings so that you can go forward/backward through multiple screens would require me to write my own implementation of the entire settings screen (a significant investment of time). Even if I just wanted to split the settings into smaller sections and have a lot more sections on the side (Display Settings 1, Display Settings 2, Display Settings 3, etc), there are e-ink devices with different screen sizes, so I probably wouldn't eliminate scrolling on all of them. There's also a possibility that the number of entries on the side would get too long as well if I broke them up that way. So I don't have a good answer for this at the moment. If the number of e-ink users grows to a significant number, then it may be worth investing additional time for the settings screen, otherwise I don't think there would be a large reward for the amount of time invested versus other high priority issues.

I left A2 on in the video as I believe it's on by default.

Mike