• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Smart Button Templates
As someone who controls Backing Tracks in Ableton Live via Mobile Sheets, I find the Smart Buttons very useful. I created a Start and a Stop Button for each song. The Start button sends a MIDI Note that selects and starts a song (different note for each song), the Stop button sends a MIDI Note for Ableton's global Stop (same note for each song). Works pretty good so far.

However, for a set of over 80 songs it requires quite some effort to create start and stop buttons. Basically, they perform the same action for each song except of the different value the Start button sends to select the specific song. 

Thus, it would reduce effort if one could globally define button templates that can be reused wherever needed. For the Stop Button example, this would limit the required steps to simply click where you want to have the button. For thr Start button example, the user should be able to create a template with values missing and be prompted to enter the missing values when placing the button in a specific song. This would account for both reusability and flexibility for Smart Buttons.

What are your thoughts? Is it possible to implement such a feature in one of the next updates?

Cheers!
I definitely plan on letting users save their favorite settings for smart buttons to make it easier to place those buttons in all their songs. One user really wanted me to open up the possibility of using the annotation editor to create, size and place smart buttons, as it supports enabling the grid to line things up easier. So I think my plan right now is to roll all of these requests into one update that will be released after I finished the annotations redesign and the upcoming iOS version. 

Thanks,
Mike
(03-21-2020, 02:54 AM)scientit Wrote: As someone who controls Backing Tracks in Ableton Live via Mobile Sheets, I find the Smart Buttons very useful. I created a Start and a Stop Button for each song. The Start button sends a MIDI Note that selects and starts a song (different note for each song), the Stop button sends a MIDI Note for Ableton's global Stop (same note for each song). Works pretty good so far.

However, for a set of over 80 songs it requires quite some effort to create start and stop buttons. Basically, they perform the same action for each song except of the different value the Start button sends to select the specific song. 

Thus, it would reduce effort if one could globally define button templates that can be reused wherever needed. For the Stop Button example, this would limit the required steps to simply click where you want to have the button. For thr Start button example, the user should be able to create a template with values missing and be prompted to enter the missing values when placing the button in a specific song. This would account for both reusability and flexibility for Smart Buttons.

What are your thoughts? Is it possible to implement such a feature in one of the next updates?

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm looking to do this exact thing. Glad to know it's possible! Are you running Ableton in the background on the same machine in the background behind Mobilesheets? Any links or tips you can share for setting something like this up?

Cheers
I'm interested in this also, a Global Smart Button. Was this ever implemented?
I haven't had time to work on adding templates/favorites for smart buttons to allow them to be reused. That's coming up soon. However, I'm not sure if that is all you are referring to when you say "Global Smart Button". If you mean something else, then that's most likely not planned at the moment.

Mike