• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beta testers needed for new annotations functionality
OK, I'm too stupid. How do I change size and length of the piano staff. I've tried everything I can think of but I only get either new staffs or drag the selected staff to another place. Should there be markers so I could resize it like windows in W10. Am I overlooking something obvious?
Great work much more stable now. 

Only crash I experienced is when adding some custom stamps. Some svg-files work just fine and some don´t. I will try to figure out whats wrong with them. Are there any limitations in size etc.?

About the cresc. and dim arrows. Maybe its just me but I am used to drag the diminuendo form left to right e.g same direction as cresc.

How do you paste copied annotations without bringing up the keyboard? I can paste with ctrl+v but I can't figure out how to do it with the pen.

Couple of suggestions which maybe could be added in the future if more users  find it useful:

Would it be possible to add an option to export  to pdf with annotation only from a selection of layers? For example if I have some personal annotations which I don't want  to be found in a pdf I send someone else.

Adding a curved line with  four  handles which you could drag in different directions?  This  would make it possible to create nice slurs/ties in music. This of course you could do freehand but the pen is always a bit shaky.

I think you should charge for this upgrade cause its a massive improvement Wink
Surface Pro 8, i5, Windows 11
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
(09-29-2020, 11:02 PM)BRX Wrote: OK, I'm too stupid. How do I change size and length of the piano staff. I've tried everything I can think of but I only get either new staffs or drag the selected staff to another place. Should there be markers so I could resize it like windows in W10. Am I overlooking something obvious?

For me it works like this: Using pen or mouse add the staff but don't release the pen/button. Then drag down to make it larger and right to make it longer. Once you release the mouse/pen you cannot change size of it anymore.
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
(09-29-2020, 10:50 PM)MartinH Wrote: Wow, impressive list of fixed in a short time!

I just tried the updated version. In a few minutes of testing, I haven't seen any crashes from using the eraser or other tools.

I am getting one consistent crash, though. About a minute after I start editing, a dialog with "Saving Annotations" pops up, and MSP crashes.

Just a thought, what happens if you disable autosave in annotation options? The default is autosave after 60 sek . I don't have this problem however.
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
Thanks, Cmart. That works indeed. I haven't thought of that and it's a bit unintuitive IMO, especially working with fingers. But if it's in the manual later other users won't have my problem getting it to work.

But I seriously think there should be a way to stretch or resize the staff after the initial positioning. (Like other shapes).

Also when I stretch the staff I don't see the logic when it makes a bar line or when not.

(Correction, I now understand that it makes a barline if you stop the stretch for some time, a double barline if you stop longer and stretch further after that and repeat for more barlines. But I think it's more important to be able to set the barlines after the initial positioning and filling it up with notes when you know where the barlines are needed. )
MartinH - Are you seeing the same crash if you just exit the editor (which also saves)? I'm assuming you have the option enabled to edit embedded PDF annotations (or the other to store the annotations in the underlying PDF) though, as you wouldn't see the saving annotations progress dialog otherwise. So I'll enable those settings and perform more tests to see if I can reproduce the issues you are seeing. 

Cmart - I see a crash report related to SVG files, so I'm guessing that is from your device. There shouldn't really be any major limitations, other than the Win2D library's ability to correct read and render the SVG. If you can send one of the problematic SVGs to mike@zubersoft.com, I'll test it out to see where the problem is. I just fixed one piece of code, so that may take care of the crash. I will experiment with changing the decrescendo to draw left-to-right like the crescendo. I didn't know which users would prefer. I also thought about reducing it down to just one tool that lets you drag either right or left, but the problem with that is it would be annoying to draw the minimum size decrescendo, as it would start as a crescendo and you would have to move the pen over to flip it. To paste annotations with a pen, make sure the selection tool is active, long press on the score and you'll see an option to paste. This is the same behavior that was present in the old design. The application needs to know where you want to paste the annotations, so this approach provides a means to specify the location. As far as your suggestions, exporting from selected layers is certainly something I could add support for in the future. I think that's a good suggestion. I also want to add support for resizable slur/tie marks, so that's definitely on the list. 

BRX - I wanted to provide a way to create the entire staff with a single touch gesture, so that was the best thing I could come up. If you have another suggestion for how it can work where you don't have to place the annotation, then resize it as two separate actions, let me know. I can look into adding a way to modify the piano staff in the future, but I don't think that's going to be included in this first pass. It just involves too much complex logic and processing, as it's not like resizing a rectangle or ellipse. 

Thanks,
Mike
Just a quick message, I can confirm eraser bug is fixed.

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
(09-30-2020, 02:44 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: To paste annotations with a pen, make sure the selection tool is active, long press on the score and you'll see an option to paste. This is the same behavior that was present in the old design. The application needs to know where you want to paste the annotations, so this approach provides a means to specify the location.

This works in old version but in new the paste square doesn't show up with the pen. With the mouse/trackpad I can right-click and the paste shows up sometimes but far away to the right from where I right-click.
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
(09-26-2020, 05:54 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I also added a new icon to the layer popup window in the annotations editor that will keep annotation layers in sync across all pages that are currently loaded in the annotations editor. I will be making adjustments to this though, because I now realize that it really should sync layers across all pages in the same song only.

aleksiandrej - is it sufficient when you tap a layer to switch the active layer that it just selects the matching layer for each page in the song? Or would you want it to synchronize across all pages in all songs that are part of the currently loaded setlist?

I also added the next/prev page buttons to the radial menu. This should make it easier to turn pages if the icons at the bottom left are too small.

Thanks everyone for your help with testing and your patience while I worked through all the changes.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the layers update.
I just tried it out:

active Layers: The selected layer stays active (green) when switching between pages but the visibility (orange eye) always goes back to the first layer.
So when I write something in Layer2 on page1 and switch to page2 the visibility changes to Layer1 again even if I'm active in Layer2. For me that takes away the use of the synced active layer if the visibility is always being reset to the first layer.

Layers new icon: the new icon in the layers popup is not clear for me. Am I missing some functionality? Currently it's just crossed out (this symbol \ )  and nothing happens when I click on it.

Sync between setlists: for my workflow it's enough if the synced layers (and hopefully visibility) stay synced in the active song. Setlists layer synchronization is not needed.

Next page/previous page: Looks good to me. I'd still prefer if the icons could be resized to be bigger. Currently when I open the command bar and press close on it, there are 4 small icons in the left corner (undo,redo,next - previous page). If there's a possibility to resize that bar it would be better for users without a bluetooth pedal. 

Thanks again for the beta testing and allowing us to have some input.
Regarding the crash after a minute, I've done more testing:
- It's caused by the autosave, since disabling auto-save prevents it and setting autosave to just 5 seconds makes it happen very quickly
- It doesn't happen when exiting annotation mode
- It only happens when deleting an annotation that was pasted from the snipping tool

So a repro procedure for me:
- Enter annotation mode
- Use the snipping tool to copy and paste a piece of the score
- Make sure "allow editing of embedded pdf annotations" is enabled
- Select the copied piece of the score and delete it
- Wait a minute (assuming autosave is enabled)
Regarding the crescendo/descrendo tool, I agree that it's more natural to drag from left to right, so if they are separate tools, that would seem simpler to me.

Though I would happily accept that you might have to drag backwards if you combined both tools (buttons) into one, and had to drag backwards to get a decrescendo. There would still have to be a minimum size, but it would flip directions if you move more than a few pixels to the left.
aleksiandrej - I am not currently synchronizing layer visibility - just the active layer which determines under which layer an annotation will be created. If you want me to synchronize visibility changes between layers as well, I can certainly do that. Just to be clear - visibility is not being reset to the first layer, it's just that turning off layer 1 on the first page did not turn off layer 1 on the second page in your example.

New layer icon - I'm not sure what you mean. The new layer icon should be just be a + icon at the far right side of the layers popup that is beside a page entry. So if you see "Page 1", at the right side of that entry you should see the + icon. Are you not seeing that? If you can take a screenshot and either post it here or send it to mike@zubersoft.com, that would probably help.

Sync between setlists - Okay, I will stick with just synchronizing layer changes within the same song.

Next page/previous page - Okay, I can make those buttons a little bigger, but making it resizable would not be easy. I'm also open to other ways of turning the page such as having partially transparent next/previous arrows at the sides of the page.

MartinH - Thanks - I'll work on reproducing that and getting it fixed.

Mike
(09-30-2020, 06:25 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: aleksiandrej - I am not currently synchronizing layer visibility - just the active layer which determines under which layer an annotation will be created. If you want me to synchronize visibility changes between layers as well, I can certainly do that. Just to be clear - visibility is not being reset to the first layer, it's just that turning off layer 1 on the first page did not turn off layer 1 on the second page in your example.

New layer icon - I'm not sure what you mean. The new layer icon should be just be a + icon at the far right side of the layers popup that is beside a page entry. So if you see "Page 1", at the right side of that entry you should see the + icon. Are you not seeing that? If you can take a screenshot and either post it here or send it to mike@zubersoft.com, that would probably help.

Sync between setlists - Okay, I will stick with just synchronizing layer changes within the same song.

Next page/previous page - Okay, I can make those buttons a little bigger, but making it resizable would not be easy. I'm also open to other ways of turning the page such as having partially transparent next/previous arrows at the sides of the page.

MartinH - Thanks - I'll work on reproducing that and getting it fixed.

Mike

- Visibility: Thanks Mike, visibility synchronisation through all the pages would be a big deal. This way I can keep annotating for 1 student and switch between pages without delaying my workflow.

- New icon: seems like I'm talking about another icon in the layers popup. The + icon on the right side works just fine. Here's the icon I was referring to that's not clear for me: https://imgur.com/A0bH9aa

- Next previous page icon: partially transparent arrow keys on the side would also do the trick. When I'm in annotating mode while playing piano it would be safer to have some larger buttons to switch pages.
(09-30-2020, 03:33 AM)Cmart Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 02:44 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: To paste annotations with a pen, make sure the selection tool is active, long press on the score and you'll see an option to paste. This is the same behavior that was present in the old design. The application needs to know where you want to paste the annotations, so this approach provides a means to specify the location.

This works in old version but in new the paste square doesn't show up with the pen. With the mouse/trackpad I can right-click and the paste shows up sometimes but far away to the right from where I right-click.

I tested this some more and I now can get the paste popup but only if I long-press the pen around a small area in the upper left corner.

Another thing I noticed is that if I copy an annotation to another song with different size like from A4 to B4 the annotation on the B4 gets huge in comparison. I think it is 3x bigger. Line thickness changes from 3 to 9 and when I change it back to 3 the line gets thinner but size of annotation remains the same. the opposite is true also, it gets 3x smaller when copying from B4 to A4.
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
aleksiandrej - That new icon is the option to synchronize layer changes . If you tap "Layer 2" in the first page of a song, it will make Layer 2 the active layer for all other pages at the same time if you have that feature enabled (although you must create a layer named "Layer 2" for all pages in the song in order for that to work). That is the icon you would tap to enable synchronization. I will add the visibility synchronization across layers as well.

Cmart - Sounds like a display scaling issue with the paste popup. I'll look into it. As far as copying, that reason for that is complicated, but I will modify the code so that the annotation is copied into the other page at the same size (which means the size of the annotation relative to the page will be altered instead of staying the same like it does now).

Thanks,
Mike