• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading msb pages in bright sunlight
Hey Bazza,

E-Ink products have mostly been designed for reading ebooks so they were too small to be used for sheet music but in the last few years a handful have come out that are around A4/letter page size (or 13 inch diagonal). The early ones were still not great for sheet music because they had really slow processors which made them unreliable but the latest ones are starting to get good. I did some reading on them and ordered the Onyx Boox Max 3 which looks like it might be the best for sheet music out of the newer ones - it has a decent processor and runs Android 9 which makes it more compatible with apps than most (some run Android 4 or 6 and some just have their own OS) as well as a big battery (4.3Ah), good onboard storage (4Gig/64Gig), stylus and touch, OTG, fingerprint scanner, and good reviews. It was meant to arrive today but hasn't yet. Sony has one around the same size in their Digital Paper range but it doesn't run Android (although it can be made to) and its Bluetooth is meant to be a bit dodgy. There's an Italian company called Padmu that used to make one but they now just sell rebranded Onyx Boox products. There's also the Gvido which is two A4 tablets joined together - I don't think it's been updated for a while but they're marking them down atm.

There are also a few in the 10 inch range - a fair bit smaller but also way cheaper. The ReMarkable 2 has just come out and it looks good but is mostly designed for note taking. Onyx Boox also have a 10 inch (the Note2) which has a front light (none of the 13 inch ones have a light). Sony do a 10 inch Digital Paper too.

I just had a look at the Onyx site and between the 3rd and 21st of June they have 10% off the Max 3 and 5% off their smaller ones.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions about the Max 3. With luck I should have one soon.

Cheers, Guy

Messages In This Thread
Reading msb pages in bright sunlight - by bazza - 06-01-2020, 09:52 PM
RE: Reading msb pages in bright sunlight - by Oz Cello - 06-01-2020, 11:43 PM