• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting from scratch from iPad and MusicPad
If your directory structure is very consistently organized, read about batch importing specifically the section on 'Populating Metadata from Directories' on pages 37 and 38 of the manual. That would be the fastest way to import everything.
It's also possible to import several songs at a time and enter some of the metadata (that they share) during regular import. You could do this folder by folder until you have everything uploaded. It's slower but would allow the folder structure to be less than perfectly organized (hierarchically).
I like to use the Artist field to note arrangers, transcribers, editors, and/or composers (firstname lastname). I use the composer field to list composers (lastname, firstname). I also have the 'Custom Group' set to 'Instruments' so that I can filter songs that have the same name in multiple instrumentations (i.e. Haydn - Trumpet Concerto instrumentation Trumpet and Full Orchestra/Chamber Group/Wind Ensemble/Piano/Organ/ or something else)
Mobilesheets uses tags but you can assign multiple to each field. This allows you to deal with some music that fits in multiple categories (setlists, collections, genres, etc.)
I put all of my music that doesn't have all of the metadata filled out in a setlist labeled 'New'. Some of the songs (or groups of them) may have some metadata that I filled out on import, but I don't remove them from that setlist until I have filled out everything I would find useful. I just keep working through them. As it is, (even without all of the metadata filled out for all my songs) it's very easy to find what I'm looking for. It probably helps that the files (and song titles) are labeled 'ComposerLastName - SongName - MainInstrument.pdf'
I would probably try testing the import and batch import settings on a small copy of the structured music library just to figure out what to do and how it works.
For importing 1000 solos I would use Import>Local File (unless they are in different folders, then you will have to use batch), select all 1000 songs, click Open, add all of the tags in each field that apply to all 1000 songs in the 'Import Settings' dialog, and click OK. I would put 'Solo' and 'Trumpet' in the 'Instrument' field (maybe also 'Solos' in the 'Collection' field).
Sam

Surface Pro 7 with MSP

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting from scratch from iPad and MusicPad - by samibe - 08-31-2021, 03:02 PM