• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another backup issue
fziegler - I've never heard of the library backup functionality freezing a tablet, especially not a mainstream tablet like the Samsung S5e. If you hit the home button on the tablet, it didn't respond? Even if MobileSheets had some kind of issue, it shouldn't be locking the entire OS - that almost sounds to me like some kind of file I/O issue occurred. Where is your library stored on the Samsung tablet? Did you use the default storage location or are you utilizing a removable SD card? As far as saving to your NAS, do you have the network drive mapped to a local drive like Z: on your laptop? I just want to verify the actions you took to save to the NAS.

If the backup is randomly cancelling, that sounds to me like there are connection issues between the tablet and the companion app over WiFi. I know you said the signal is strong, but I would need to know more information about what kind of router you are using, and whether both devices are connected to the same access point. The quality of the router can have a big impact on whether packets are dropped. If you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot, and connect your two other devices to that, can you then create a library backup over WiFi? If so, that would point to the router as being part of the problem.

You said with the third issue that the companion app declared that the backup was successfully created, but didn't finish on the tablet. It's possible the tablet was still processing data. The companion app could have finished sending the packets, but it doesn't know when the tablet is done reading the data it sent, as that data may be buffered and is being processed. Did you wait for a bit to see if it eventually finished on the tablet? 

If you are getting a prompt to cancel, that means something is triggering the cancel, whether it's a key press like enter, or something is trying to close the window. I'm not sure what is happening on your device, but that is not normal behavior and I've never seen that before. 

As Geoff mentioned, just creating the backup file on the tablet itself without using the companion app and then copying it over may be the best approach if you continue to run into issues with the companion app. I've created many multi-gigabyte backups with the companion app over the years, and used to occasionally see a few issues with the backup not finishing like expected, but those issues were addressed with the last few updates to the companion app, so it seems to work reliably for me now.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Another backup issue - by fziegler - 06-19-2022, 08:45 PM
RE: Another backup issue - by Geoff Bacon - 06-19-2022, 10:35 PM
RE: Another backup issue - by Zubersoft - 06-20-2022, 03:33 AM
RE: Another backup issue - by Geoff Bacon - 06-20-2022, 10:25 PM
RE: Another backup issue - by Zubersoft - 06-21-2022, 03:50 AM
RE: Another backup issue - by Geoff Bacon - 06-21-2022, 03:59 AM