• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versioning
Hi Mike,

as you mentioned versioning is your next big project in MSP.

Since you certainly have to consider certain UI and db changes I wanted to share some ideas and suggestions you
might use in these changes which I consider sort of "versioning" as well.

It's my understanding that your planned changes allow to have certain versions of a song which use the same
source file but can have different annotations, page order etc. without the need to create a snippet or new
song. Have I got that right? (That in itself would already be an awesome new feature).

But I'd like to expand on that. I'd like it if you could also add other song versions (of the same song with the
same title) to a "main song".

I know it's not politically correct anymore but for the sake of explanation let's say you indicate one song
as a master song (with a checkbox or something like that) and you can assign other songs (including the new versions
feature) as "slave songs".

Since the publication of the Windows version (and probably it could be the same for Mac users with the iOS version)
for me MSP isn't only a mobile sheet viewer for tablets and sheet reading any more but a powerful organization
tool for my sheets collection. Much like calibre is for ebooks.

It's nice to have the whole collection on the PC organzied by MSP (and have smaller parts, with separate libraries for the mobile
tablets if necessary).

I'd like to be able just to search for or browse such master versions (just to reduce the sheer amount of songs and not to
have 50 entries for All The Things You Are or Yesterday visible), which can be expanded to show the other "slave versions" if necessary.

Even more important I'd like the entries for the master version for composer etc. to be valid for all the other versions
as well so they are automatically applied for the slave versions and you only have to put them into the master version, but
can also search and filter by the entry for the slave versions even if the fields aren't filled for them.

Am I making sense? So if I have a master entry of All the things you are with all fields like composer etc. filled and 20
other slave song entries without them filled out a search or filter would still display all the versions.
(If there is an entry in a slave version that should overrule the master entry though, I think).

Probably the size of the db could be much smaller as well if you just have to put the entries into the master song.

Is this something you consider useful and doable for the versioning (or even at a later time)?

Messages In This Thread
Versioning - by BRX - 03-23-2023, 02:40 AM
RE: Versioning - by Zubersoft - 03-24-2023, 07:31 AM
RE: Versioning - by Oz Cello - 03-26-2023, 05:55 PM
RE: Versioning - by otnt - 03-27-2023, 01:48 AM
RE: Versioning - by Zubersoft - 03-27-2023, 05:21 AM
RE: Versioning - by Oz Cello - 03-27-2023, 09:33 AM