• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
usb + charging
I've been a MobilesSheets fan for well over a year now but I've just joined the forum to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience to mine...

I'm on my 3rd tablet. I just flat wore out the first one, the 2nd one still works but has no hdmi port (for displaying on larger screens), and now I find that my latest tablet (agptek) has only one port (female micro-usb) for both charging and usb connection.

In the past I have used the micro-usb port for a footswitch while having power connected through a separate power port. I started looking for a replacement but this seems to be the current trend in 7" tablets. Samsung, et-al are moving to a single micro-usb port for charging like cell phones.

According to the usb spec there should be a device, referred to as an "accessory charger adapter" that would allow you to both charge and use a usb device simultaneously on the same port but apparently nobody makes one.

btw, none of my tablets has bluetooth, thus the usb footswitch (more on this in another thread).

Anyone else having this problem?
Tablet: dopo EM63 w/Android 4.2.2
Pedal: Tatoo pedal wired through the usb interface board from a busted keyboard and connected using an OTG cable.
Mount: Manos Mount on a sawed off tripod mic stand.
I have bluetooth but looked around anyway. I found this if it helps any.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-...b-dacs/405
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(12-11-2013, 08:02 AM)bobrhett Wrote: I've been a MobilesSheets fan for well over a year now but I've just joined the forum to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience to mine...

I'm on my 3rd tablet. I just flat wore out the first one, the 2nd one still works but has no hdmi port (for displaying on larger screens), and now I find that my latest tablet (agptek) has only one port (female micro-usb) for both charging and usb connection.

In the past I have used the micro-usb port for a footswitch while having power connected through a separate power port. I started looking for a replacement but this seems to be the current trend in 7" tablets. Samsung, et-al are moving to a single micro-usb port for charging like cell phones.

According to the usb spec there should be a device, referred to as an "accessory charger adapter" that would allow you to both charge and use a usb device simultaneously on the same port but apparently nobody makes one.

btw, none of my tablets has bluetooth, thus the usb footswitch (more on this in another thread).

Anyone else having this problem?

I don't know if this helps, but some materials I have read said its probably not a good idea to charge while you are using the tbalet anyway (its good to let the battery wear down to, let's say, 50% before charging).

So, a simple resolution is just to unplug the charger when you are using tablet and put the charging usb back in when you are not using it (I guess that's what you are doing now).
(12-12-2013, 03:54 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I don't know if this helps, but some materials I have read said its probably not a oggd idea to charge while you are using the tbalet anyway (its good to let the battery wear down to, let's say, 50% berfore charging).

So, a simply resolution is just to unplug the charger when you are using tablet and put the charging usb back in when you are not using it (I guess that's what you are doing now).

Yeah, that's what I do now and I don't mind exercising the battery during rehearsal, I just don't want to have to worry about it crapping out in the 4th set.

(12-12-2013, 01:31 AM)Skip Wrote: I have bluetooth but looked around anyway. I found this if it helps any.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-...b-dacs/405

This appears to be just what I was looking for. Thanks Skip, I'll try this out.
Pedal: Tatoo pedal wired through the usb interface board from a busted keyboard and connected using an OTG cable.
Just a followup on this...
I bought the correct resistor and some micro-usb connectors and made a rig per the spec but it doesn't work on my tablets. Admittedly I am using cheap no-name tablets. I suspect that this feature is simply not implemented on these tablets although I have no way of knowing if it is a deficiency in hardware or software. It's entirely possible that this would work on a name brand tablet and if I get hold of one I will test it to see.

In the meantime I have come up with a workaround that should get me by. I used a small, powered usb hub that has a micro-usb connector for charging at one end and replaced the ends to create a charger/hub/otg cable. Basically, I connect a power supply and my footswitch to this hub then I can use one end to charge and the other end acts as an OTG cable. I just have to remember to swap which end is plugged into my tablet depending on how I want it to function.

It's not what I had in mind but it'll do until something better comes along.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)