• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing the data for all songs
I have the three concert realbooks separated into individual numbers and in my library. The songs have no key assigned.
I now want to add a Bb Realbook and would like to set the key of the current 1000 odd songs to C.
Is there a way of setting the key for all of the songs in the library rather than having to do each one individually.
This is not really responsive to your post, but . . . .

I would think you would not want to list all the songs in the Realbook for C instruments as being in the key of "C", because they are not all in the key of C. Rather, I believe they are in the standard (or written) key for C instruments (piano, etc.).

Similarly, the songs in the Bb Realbook are not all in the key of Bb. Rather, I believe they are in the standard (or written) key for Bb instruments (e.g., tenor sax, I believe).

So, you would might want something in the "comment section" for each song in a particular book ("for Bb instruments" or "for C instruments" or something), but you would still need to confirm the particular key for each song.

Maybe I am missing something (I am preparing myself to feel silly).

Jeff

(06-24-2014, 06:08 AM)mikeywilliams Wrote: I have the three concert realbooks separated into individual numbers and in my library. The songs have no key assigned.
I now want to add a Bb Realbook and would like to set the key of the current 1000 odd songs to C.
Is there a way of setting the key for all of the songs in the library rather than having to do each one individually.
I think Jeff is correct.
What may work is to identify the Bb instrument book tunes as such, and say that any tune not identified as being from the Bb book are C instrument tunes. I don't have any Bb instrument books available to check. Maybe you can make a separate folder for each type of book.
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that identical tunes in a particular key would be the same regardless of which book they were in, a key is only the name for a particular series of notes after all is said a done.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
As already said, the 'C' songs will not all be in the key of C, just as all the 'Bb' songs will not be in Bb. The Bb books are intended for players of transposing instruments (as are the Eb books).

One approach would be to place them in different 'collections'. Move all your existing charts (from the 'C' book into a collection called C ) and then import all the 'Bb' songs into a collection called Bb.

Unless you actually play a Bb instrument (trumpet, sax etc.) or intend to lend your pad to someone who does, then there is little point in having the additional charts - they're just a waste of space.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Re: I'm not sure, but it seems to me that identical tunes in a particular key would be the same regardless of which book they were in, a key is only the name for a particular series of notes after all is said a done.

Actually the songs would not be identicial. Each song for the Bb instrument should be written a full step (two half steps) lower than the same song for the C instrument.

[So, for example, if the Sax player plays a Bb, he will be playing the same note as a "C" on the piano.]

(06-24-2014, 12:46 PM)Skip Wrote: I think Jeff is correct.
What may work is to identify the Bb instrument book tunes as such, and say that any tune not identified as being from the Bb book are C instrument tunes. I don't have any Bb instrument books available to check. Maybe you can make a separate folder for each type of book.
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that identical tunes in a particular key would be the same regardless of which book they were in, a key is only the name for a particular series of notes after all is said a done.
(06-25-2014, 01:35 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Re: I'm not sure, but it seems to me that identical tunes in a particular key would be the same regardless of which book they were in, a key is only the name for a particular series of notes after all is said a done.

Actually the songs would not be identicial. Each song for the Bb instrument should be written a full step (two half steps) lower than the same song for the C instrument.

[So, for example, if the Sax player plays a Bb, he will be playing the same note as a "C" on the piano.]

That's one way of looking at it, but the relative pitch between the notes is the same so, in that sense, the tunes are indeed 'identical'.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Yep, I guess it depends what Skip meant when he wrote that.

(06-25-2014, 02:34 AM)GraemeJ Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 01:35 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Re: I'm not sure, but it seems to me that identical tunes in a particular key would be the same regardless of which book they were in, a key is only the name for a particular series of notes after all is said a done.

That's one way of looking at it, but the relative pitch between the notes is the same so, in that sense, the tunes are indeed 'identical'.
Thanks to all for useful advice.
I decided on using the Collections option.

Put all my current songs (in 3 albums Realbooks 1,2,3) into a collection called "Concert"
Then imported the Eb songs with tag Album Realbook 1 Eb
Finally made a new collection called Eb and put the newly loaded songs into that.
Works well.

The reason for having these different versions is that I'm actually doing it for a jazzer friend who plays both flute and Baritone Sax so needs them both.
I had it wrong, Jeffs answer is right to my intention, a song would be written in different keys and sound the same using the different books. Everyday a new lesson.Smile

Mike: glad you found your solution.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Music 
(06-27-2014, 12:27 AM)mikeywilliams Wrote: Thanks to all for useful advice.
I decided on using the Collections option.

Put all my current songs (in 3 albums Realbooks 1,2,3) into a collection called "Concert"
Then imported the Eb songs with tag Album Realbook 1 Eb
Finally made a new collection called Eb and put the newly loaded songs into that.
Works well.

The reason for having these different versions is that I'm actually doing it for a jazzer friend who plays both flute and Baritone Sax so needs them both.

In response to using two different instruments, I play Clarinet and Bass Clarinet have music for the same piece for both instruments. What I did was in the "custom" field, put what instrument the part was for. Example:

Title: America the Beautiful
Artist: Samuel A Ward
Album: Orchestra
Genre: Instrumental
Custom: 2nd Clarinet

Title: America the Beautiful
Artist: Samuel A Ward
Album: Orchestra
Genre: Instrumental
Custom: Bass Clarinet

Then when I pull up my Orchestra album, I have it where the it has the name of the piece, and on the same line it lists the custom section so I can immediately see which part I need to pull up or put in my set list. I found this to be REALLY easy!

Hope it is helpful.
I have been using Mobilesheets for almosr a year now and I have over 1600 music pdfs built up. I was wondering if it is possible to add data into the custom field for multipe songs at once? I have more than 1 hymn book loaded , but when I started witn one book I just used the numbers of the hymns. Now that I have other hymn book, I would like to distinguish between tnem by using a couple of letters before the numbers. I don't want to have to do 1200 or so songs individually. I know that I can get a list of songs from companion, but I was wondering if that file can be edited and loaded back in?
Could you start a new collection or use the custom/custom2 for the new books and consider the old list as 'alpha 1/new book' or something as a work around at this time?
Samsung S7+, Android 12