• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ridiculous registration procedure
I persevered with the ridiculous overkill registration procedure - but really, what a complete overkill! A password longer than most banking sites? Capcha words of several syllables written in unintelligible script?

Please look at this - you must put off so many people!
Registration for what?

It's a while since I installed MS, but I don't recall anything like this. Actually, I purchased my copy through SlideMe - only because they would accept PayPal - maybe Google and/or Amazon is different.

However, this would seem to be a problem related to the retailer and nothing to do with MS per se. You are probably complaining to the wrong people.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(09-30-2014, 05:51 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: Registration for what?

It's a while since I installed MS, but I don't recall anything like this. Actually, I purchased my copy through SlideMe - only because they would accept PayPal - maybe Google and/or Amazon is different.

However, this would seem to be a problem related to the retailer and nothing to do with MS per se. You are probably complaining to the wrong people.

He is probably talking about registration on this forum. Given the fact that there are constantly spam postings here, I'd say that the registration process isn't strong enough - the spambots are still getting through!
You may be right and it's the forum registration he's talking about, that hadn't occurred to me. I really don't remember how difficult I found it to register here. It can't have been that difficult, or I'm sure I would remember.

That said, I'm no fan of captcha and the like. Sometimes, I find them difficult to read and I do have some sympathy with that point. OTOH, they do help to keep a forum (not just this one) relatively clean of unwanted posts.

Yes - some do get through, but I think we stay reasonably on top of the ones that do manage to jump through the hoops. As one of the people responsible for controlling those posts, I know that many of them are never seen by forum members, as they are deleted before being viewed by anyone. However, we can't be here 24/7 and it is inevitable that a few are seen before deletion (and banning of the posters).

By and large, this forum is pretty clean - I wish I could say the same of a couple of others I'm involved with!!

Just out of curiosity, I just checked out the registration procedure. It requires a password with a minimum of six characters including an upper case letter, lower case letter and a number. That's hardly the "password longer than most banking sites" the OP complains about. He should see what I have to do to get into my bank, if he thinks this is difficult!!

I don't think this is particularly onerous and really should be the sort of passwords that internet users should have on any site, if they are at all concerned about security.

I also checked the captcha images. One, I did find difficult to read but all the others seemed clear enough to me.

All in all, I really don't think we have a problem here.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I found it to be quite painless. I installed the Tapatalk app (prompted by your forum website) and simply hit the "Sign in with Google+" button. The only information I had to enter was the name I wanted to be known by on the forum.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
I finally came back to forum, but I still stand by what I said. However, after all the rubbish involved with getting an account, I had no notifications of replies to thread or indeed got any actual help! I am a working musician and the lack of connectivity to a PC with Windows 10 is getting to be a real problem.
I didn't realize you needed help before cazmar, as you had logged onto the forum. I'm sorry you didn't get the help you needed. I use MyBB for the forum, so I don't design the user registration myself. It's a pretty standard forum solution, so I'm not sure what you would want changed, but I'm not really an expert in web design.

As far as connecting a PC with Windows 10, I'm connecting Windows 10 to my tablet without any issues, so it's not so much an issue with Windows 10 as it is the set up on your PC. I'll address this in the other post you responded to. Hopefully we can get it straightened out.

Mike