• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much space do I need?
I'm planning to buy my first tablet mainly to use this app. I have my eye on the Nexus 10, and I'm debating whether I need to buy the 32GB or if the 16GB will do. I've looked at my Galaxy Nexus - the only difference between what I store on my tablet as opposed to my phone will be the music I need to load for this app, and my phone is only using about 5GB including my apps because I store almost everything on the cloud. I am a choir teacher and a church pianist and intend to go almost entirely digital (I have 3 different music binders on my school piano right now and I Can. Not. Wait. to have just one tablet). So, considering I am likely to have an astronomical amount of music in pdf form in the very near future (thank God our school copier has scan-to-pdf capabilities), including a musical score which is hundreds of pages all by its little self... do I need the 32GB?. I suspect I might but I don't want to bother if I'm only going to use a small portion of the space. Even if I can store the music in the Google Cloud, I probably won't so I don't have to worry about having wifi.

I'd love to hear how much space most of you are using!
Hi, I can hopefully give you some indication of sizes:
- I have just over 2,000 big band charts in PDF format (all averaging anywhere between 35-80 pages long) and they come to 5GB.
- I have about 2,000 files for trumpets + vocal in .GIF format and that comes to ~70MB.
- I also have about 1,000 files for trumpets in PDF format and that comes to ~150MB.

Hope that's useful!

Cheers,
Chris
That sounds to me like I can manage with 16GB just fine! Smile
pdf's use far less memory than, for example, video.

Probably the biggest issue in selecting my tablet was size of the screen. So, I went for one of the few tablets with 13.3 inch (or more) screen size. But, I am clearly in the minority.
I agree, screen size is a far more important issue than the amount of memory. I would imagine that almost everyone could manage with 8Gb of the latter, on the assumption that the device is going to be dedicated to running MS.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Well it depends on how much "astronomical" is in your case, my PDF collection (on the hard drive) currently totals about 30GB (that's about 14,000 files), although about 75% of that is pretty much superfluous, i.e. many large books containing only a few songs that I actually need. For most people I'd say 16GB is perfectly adequate.
I see it this way.

The OP would be much better off investing his money in screen size than memory. I would say that any 13"+ tablet will have more than enough memory for the average MS user (they all seem to offer 16 Gb at a minimum). If he runs out of space, at some future date, then the addition of some external storage (SD card, for example) would then become the expansion option.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(12-03-2013, 07:55 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: I see it this way.

The OP would be much better off investing his money in screen size than memory. I would say that any 13"+ tablet will have more than enough memory for the average MS user (they all seem to offer 16 Gb at a minimum). If he runs out of space, at some future date, then the addition of some external storage (SD card, for example) would then become the expansion option.

It seems more larger screen tablets are dribbling out:

Here is one: http://betanews.com/2013/11/12/hannspree.../#comments

Reportedly, Samsung is going to release one:
http://www.androidpit.com/samsung-13-3-inch-tablet

Another budget one: http://tablet-news.com/2013/10/31/ematic...kickstand/

Not to mention reports of a 13 inch ipad:
http://news.yahoo.com/report-apple-launc...24120.html
(12-03-2013, 09:06 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Not to mention reports of a 13 inch ipad:
http://news.yahoo.com/report-apple-launc...24120.html

However, MS does not run on an iPad - you'll have to wait a while for that Smile .
Graeme

Some of my music here
My 402 songs (90% piano+vocal showtunes, 10% classical piano one of which is 42 pages) are all PDFs. They take up 0.7GB out of the 16GB on my Hannspree 13" tablet. Interestingly they are assigned to the Adobe PDF reader, not MobileSheets; it can read them, too. They were loaded via MobileSheetsCompanion.
I agree, screen size is a far more important issue than the amount of memory. I would imagine that almost everyone could manage with 8Gb of the latter, on the assumption that the device is going to be dedicated to running MS.