• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear of tablet failure at a gig - considering buying a cheap backup
I know I could keep paper copies, but I was wondering if a cheap tablet, just as a backup, might be a good idea. You can get 10" tablets under $100 now. One of the usual drawbacks of the cheap tablets is running on an older version of Android. Would MobileSheets work ok on a tablet running Andoid 2.2/2.3 ?

Alternatively, some very cheap 7" tablets are available. As it's just for lead sheets (lyrics/chords) I wonder if a 7" screen would suffice. (I use a RAM mount for my tablet and attach it to the microphone stand.) This option may be preferable, as my wife would like to use the spare tablet the rest of the time.
I bought a coby kyros mid1125 because it was on offer and very cheap.
It has ice cream sandwich android installed and has a capacitive touch screen. It runs mobileSheets ok, but i still have an issue with the reliabilty of turning pages which hopefully is going to get fixed in the next issue of MS. The touch sensitivity is ok for other applications and the op system.

I have been thinking along the same lines, it is difficult to put trust in gadgets these days. Unfortunately it is not possible to have backup pianos, amps, mixers, i would need to drive a van around.
(12-01-2012, 11:16 PM)pianopete Wrote: I bought a coby kyros mid1125 because it was on offer and very cheap.
It has ice cream sandwich android installed and has a capacitive touch screen. It runs mobileSheets ok, but i still have an issue with the reliabilty of turning pages which hopefully is going to get fixed in the next issue of MS. The touch sensitivity is ok for other applications and the op system.

I have been thinking along the same lines, it is difficult to put trust in gadgets these days. Unfortunately it is not possible to have backup pianos, amps, mixers, i would need to drive a van around.

I googled the coby kyros. I see it is 10" and comes with Android 2.3. Did you root it and upgrade it yourself? I was wondering how many of the cheaper tablets could be hacked/upgraded.

You are right about equipment failure in general, athough the average band can re-jig most setups to get by. Pianos, and electronic drums worry me though, as you often have just one.
The koby tablet had ICS already installed by the supplier.
I had to reflash it but i think it is the same version:-

Android version 4.0.3
Kernel 2.6.35.7-tcc

I don't know about firmware/os upgrades to other tablets.
There is an excellent forum for all tablet issues:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum
I have a hard copy of my digital lead sheets as a backup in case of malfunction but also if you have to play outside or near a window with bright sunlight you may not be able to see your music on your tablet.
I have two Hannspree 13.3" tablets, two BiliPro pedals (USB), and two OTH USB adapters. At home I put them on my acoustic piano and my electronic piano. I take both to any gig or rehearsal. I keep them in sync by never using annotations in MobileSheets, but rather on my laptop -- I simply load the music onto both from the same laptop.