• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[1.2.3.] Page Scaling bugs when the tablet is in landscape orientation
When the tablet is in landscape orientation "Page Scaling" settings do not work correctly. When I turn the tablet from landscape to portrait orientation the scaling is sometimes only corrected after turning it twice.
For details of the landscape bugs see follow ups
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

For the first series of screenshots I used the tablet in landscape orientation.

My PDF for Route66 is in landscape orientation as shown in the "crop" screenshot. "Fit Width" looks fine, "Fit Screen" is the same as "Fit Width" (no screenshot provided), as expected. "Fit Height" is zoomed much too big, as if the height of the tablet is taken from portrait orientation. The full height of the PDF should be shown, without clipping vertically.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   Route66_G_Ak_A5.pdf (Size: 7.66 KB / Downloads: 0)
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

These screenshots are made with the tablet in portrait orientation.
I had to turn the tablet two or three times from landscape to portrait and back until the orientation change was noticed. After that it worked as expected: "Fit Screen" shows the same as "Fit Width", "Fit Height" zooms until the height matches the tablet height. Please note that the "Fit Height" screenshot shows about the same horizontal clipping as with the tablet in landscape orientation. But here the full height of the PDF is displayed, which is the expected behaviour.

Cross-checking with "Seul ce soir", where the PDF is in portrait format. With the tablet in portrait orientation everything is fine.
With the tablet in landscape orientation "Fit Width" is as expected: the width determines what is displayed, to see everything I can scroll vertically.
"Fit Screen" shows the same as "Fit Width" and requires vertical scrolling to go to top or bottom, "Fit Height" additionally cuts off from the left and right side.
The expected behaviour is that "Fit Screen" and "Fit Height" show the full height of the PDF with black bars at the sides, just as landscape PDFs are handled on the tablet in portrait orientation.

I loaded that exact same song from your library, and everything works as expected on my tablet. Can you do something for me - tap the display settings button in the overlay (bottom left) then tap Zoom/Pan Settings, and Reset Pan and Zoom. Let me know if that makes any difference.

Mike
"Reset Pan and Zoom" does not make a difference

Same issues here. The "Fit to..." button does not do what it should do.
lionking - please explain more about what you mean. All of the options seem to work for me in both orientations.
I have a similar issue - the ZOOM/PAN only shows up in portrait mode.  I can zoom in portrait, but not in landscape
I'm also not happy with the fit height/width options in landscape.

I have a 16:9 screen ratio, so while fit width works, the results are less than usefull.
Fit height doesn't appear to do anything.

The PDF i imported is basically a picture with 1080*774 pixels, so i wouldn't have expected a major problem, tbh.

P.S.
While this is off topic i.e. portrait mode related: I REALLY dislike that the sheets are always oriented at the top of the screen, looks terrible on 16:9 with the massive black bar at the bottom. Could you include an option for centering the sheets, so that there are similar sized bars at the top and bottom of the screen?
Is this what you're looking for? Settings>display settings>center pages
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(05-13-2015, 12:48 AM)Skip Wrote: Is this what you're looking for? Settings>display settings>center pages

Thanks, that helped.

In the process of fixing that i noticed that the 'display half pages in landscape' was apparently pre-checked. Unchecking that solved my landscape issues, or rather: it solved my landscape issues after using fit to screen, now fit height works, it didn't right away after unchecking that option.

EDIT:
On further reproduction, the issue seems to be with the auto-rescale on switching from portrait to landscape. After the implicit zoom, 'fit height' doesn't work, 'fit screen' does, though.

Another EDIT:
When set to 'fit to screen', the switch from portrait to landscape works fine. When using 'fit to height' in landscape, switching to portrait does NOT fit to height (which would be useless anyway, but at least consistent), switching BACK to landscape seems to fit to the display height of portrait mode - or at least that's what i assume from the zoom factor.

As an addendum: using 'fit width' in portrait leads to the same odd behaviour, where switching to landscape displays the sheet suboptimally (not using either full width nor full height) and switching back to portrait zooms the sheet (presumably by using the width value from landscape) - at that point 'fit width' stops working.
(05-12-2015, 11:27 PM)Fela Wrote: Could you include an option for centering the sheets, so that there are similar sized bars at the top and bottom of the screen?

+1
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(05-14-2015, 02:52 AM)sciurius Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 11:27 PM)Fela Wrote: Could you include an option for centering the sheets, so that there are similar sized bars at the top and bottom of the screen?

+1

That's already been answered above. The option exists and i merely overlooked it.

(Maybe it should be made default, though.)
I used to make that the default and got feedback that it was better to have pages top aligned as your eyes know exactly where to look for the next page. I guess this is just another case where people have different preferences. I'm not sure which is the better default.