• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi to keyboard change help needed
Question 
I just grabbed the Pro version. I have a Korg Kronos and a Samsung 12.2 tablet. Can someone give me some bit of tutorial on getting these to talk to each other. I have the tab hooked to the keyboard via usb. I can't figure out how to make anything happen. I'm pretty well versed in this tech generally speaking.
jfree - I'll give you a brief tutorial on getting them hooked up, but I need to know one thing first: does your tablet support the KORG number command? For example, KORG put out this documentation for hooking up with MS Pro: http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ma...s_korg.pdf

If your device does not support the number command, you will need to check your keyboard documentation to see what commands they want to receive for a patch select. For example, on my Yamaha S90ES, it requires a MSB of 63, then LSB of the bank, then Value of the instrument in that bank.

Mike
Hi Mike,

It's not an arranger type, doesn't seem to use the number command. Probably very similar to your Yamaha. What I did was in Cubase, pressed the program I wanted to access-recorded the change and pulled the info from there:
MSB 0
LSB 32
Program change 97

I added that as a patch select midi command on the particular song in MS. Both units are set to midi channel 1.
Hi Jfree,

You write that you have the tablet connected to the keyboard via USB.
As far as I know, you will need an USB to MIDI cable, so that you can use the MIDI connectors on your keyboard.
I use MS Pro to talk via MIDI to Yamaha Tyros and Roland Atelier using a USB to MIDI cable.
Neither will work using a simple USB cable (using the almost square usb connector on the instrument side).

hope this helps.

kind regards
That is how it talks to the computer-midi via usb. You think the tablet works differently?
Just as a side note - I have used MobileSheets connecting USB from my keyboard (the square usb connector) through a micro USB connection on my nexus 10, so this will in fact work.

jfree - that all sounds correct, assuming you have "Send on Load" checked for the song. I'll try to think of why that might not work. As a side note, when you first hooked up the USB cable to your tablet, were you prompted in MobileSheetsPro to accept the USB connection? If you were not prompted, then the USB connection was not recognized.

Mike
I do not get a prompt from MSP. The tablet does wake up and says 'connected as media device' in the pull down menu, so it does see the keyboard I believe.
No tablet probably works the same way as the computer. I was more thinking about the instrument side.

If the commands you are trying to get across from the tablet are the same as the ones that are working when sent from the computer, using the same cable, I guess they should also work from the tablet.
In my case I remember from Roland Atelier, that the USB midi connector will only send information about the keys that are depressed and released, but no program changes and such. Furthermore it will not respond at all to MIDI commands received . . . .

To help debugging . . .
After connecting the cable on the tablet and launching MS Pro, do you get a message asking if the USB connection can be used by MS Pro ?
I know Tyros had a display that shows a led light up whenever MIDI commands are received. It does not show what commands but it helps confirming that commands are beeing received . . .
(04-16-2015, 02:18 AM)jfree Wrote: I do not get a prompt from MSP. The tablet does wake up and says 'connected as media device' in the pull down menu, so it does see the keyboard I believe.

I guess it sees your keyboard as a storage device, not a midi device.
have you checked the manual of your keyboard to see what this connector can be used for ??
I think I'm onto something. I have two A type usb connectors and one B type. I use the B type with the comp. One A type I usually use with a nano pad or thumb drives. I was trying to use the A type for the tablet. I just tried the B type and it seems to be working. Odd that it would allow different data-must investigate. I think I may be ok now. Cheers guys!