• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the ideal tablet for MobileSheetsPro
(07-04-2020, 12:55 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Well if anyone gets the tablet (Evoo 13.3 Android tablet) working with with a page turner pedal, please post.  (It pretty much fits the sweet spot in terms of what I am looking for, but it I can't use my foot pedal, it is pretty much useless.)

I have the Evoo 10" and the following pedal works fine with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQ9...UTF8&psc=1
(09-14-2020, 10:21 AM)jdelashmit Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 12:55 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Well if anyone gets the tablet (Evoo 13.3 Android tablet) working with with a page turner pedal, please post.  (It pretty much fits the sweet spot in terms of what I am looking for, but it I can't use my foot pedal, it is pretty much useless.)

Here is a link to the tablet I have, it is the windows 10-S version but everything works great.
(09-14-2020, 07:49 PM)jdelashmit Wrote:

Here is a link to the tablet I have, it is the windows 10-S version but everything works great. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-10-1-Tab.../455610609
Oh, you have a windows tablet.

So, maybe there is an issue with the Android tablet or maybe we just have not found the right settings to tweak.

Jeff

(09-14-2020, 07:51 PM)jdelashmit Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 07:49 PM)jdelashmit Wrote:

Here is a link to the tablet I have, it is the windows 10-S version but everything works great. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-10-1-Tab.../455610609
I have messed about with tablets of different sizes and operating systems to use on my Korg PA600, and have found a mix that works for me, maybe only me, however it is so cheap, and there are other possibilities for other users, so here is what I've settled on; 

1. 14" HP Stream laptop $140 US from Best Buy. [Win 10. this version of windows is ideal for apps like MSP because it is plug and play for all the functions you are likely to use. it's a good  app controller.] 
(This program source could be any tablet that has bluetooth & USB, however the HDMI output may be an issue for some tablets. The Sceptre does not have "Casting" ability, but other method are possible)
2. 24"  Sceptre monitor Amazon $104 US  + free HDMI cable
3. Roland UM-One usb/midi patch $15 CA
4. Page flip bluetooth pedal $149 CA

The result is a large display and the option of extra items because the laptop has 3 dedicated USB ports.
The monitor is light, less than 5 lbs, is the same width as the music stand, and has built-in speakers, ideal for mp3 playback with the display, and it has the option of audio out to the keyboard. 
I appreciate that this set-up is too bulky for most gigs, but if you spend most of your time playing at home, it works well, and is lower priced than most 10" tablets. We are snowbirds and I transport this system from Ontario to Florida & back, so I've made inexpensive but sturdy cases out of thin model maker's plywood, which is 5 or 7 plies, to protect the gear enroute. For sturdy corners I use 1/16" x 1/2" aluminum angle, and epoxy it together to make it strong.

Thinking of bands and keeping costs down, getting displays with bluetooth or casting ability could save a bundle!
It is too bad there are not more inexpensive 12.2 or 13.3 tablets around.   

I wish RCA kept its 12.2 Pro Android in production.  They really could have marketed that for musicians.

I have several Nuvision 13.3 tablets.  Frankly, they are great and were very inexpensive (so I got back ups). 

But, looking forward, I suppose I would prefer to have a bit more build in memory and a more updated Android OS. 

I would not be surprised if something comes a long that is basically an updated Nuvision 13.3 (or RCA 12.2 Pro), with 64gb memory and an updated Android OS (for let's say $150.00 or less).

Jeff
In our current situation, i'd like to think that smart manufacturers would be finding ways of making cheaper tablets with inter-connectivity so that schools and other communities could work remotely. it's not just bands and orchestras that need to work in coordinated groups. I taught industrial technology in a community college for 34 years and many of our classes we had students working independently on their own equipment, or training rig, because it produced betters results. Each student had to perform all the tasks and the equipment had to perform to spec afterwards. However, being able to check with others by visiting their station was invaluable. Zoom can allow lots of interactivity, yet without contact. 
Our technical needs are clouded by the desire to have a universal device, a sort of Swiss Army Knife mentality, but that increases the cost. Single purpose tools often produce better operational results. The Leapfrog pads are a typical example. 
Both my children played in school bands, and hauling around the gear was major headache, if the band room had permanent digital displays interconnected via WiFi/Bluetooth, that would have solved many problems!
A Canadian aerospace company Litton Industries, was developing a flexible, roll-up digital display 20 years ago. They had not considered the musical implications at that time, but who knows what lurks in the back-rooms of that industry?
I wish you well in your search for the ideal.

David
I just watched Youtube Tech Guru Marques Brownlee review the Lenovo X1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noKpc8fo-R0

and I think that (or some successor) is my current dream tablet for sheets and MSP. The price though.
(11-26-2020, 06:01 AM)BRX Wrote: I just watched Youtube Tech Guru Marques Brownlee review the Lenovo X1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noKpc8fo-R0

and I think that (or some successor) is my current dream tablet for sheets and MSP. The price though.

That would be interesting if this could run Android or Chrome OS and run on ARM processor.
Battery life sucks with power hungry Intel/Windows combination in these small portable devices.
Another cons are starting price ($2500) and country of origin.
Display is made by LG so there's some hope.
The concept of the X1 is great, but somewhat lacking for real-world needs - at least on my part.
  • As a score display it should be about 1.5 times larger, to get something about the size of a real paper sheet. As eyes deteriorate with age this point will (at least for me) become increasingly important. In that respect I'd regard my 2 x 12.2" master/servant booklet system as lowest form factor.
  • As a writing machine the attachable keyboard is certainly nice, but lacking the haptics of a real full-size keyboard if you really use 10-finger writing with a certain throughput request.
  • I'm very interested to see how these machines cope with real, frequent touch and writing usage: After all there is a reason to arm "normal" flat displays with hardened glass surfaces and other protective means. At a price of 3000 $ I'd certainly expect the screen to live for 5+ years.
Well, we'll see ...

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
(11-26-2020, 05:48 PM)Petra-Kathi Wrote: The concept of the X1 is great, but somewhat lacking for real-world needs - at least on my part.
  • As a score display it should be about 1.5 times larger, to get something about the size of a real paper sheet.
Cheers,
Petra

Not sure what is your definition of the real world paper.
LG display used in this X1 Fold is 13.3 inch (4:3 aspect ratio) and A4 paper size is 14.3 inch.
(11-26-2020, 07:56 PM)otnt Wrote: Not sure what is your definition of the real world paper.
LG display used in this X1 Fold is 13.3 inch (4:3 aspect ratio) and A4 paper size is 14.3 inch.

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned that I consider such a folded display to be sensible only if you can display 2 pages side by side. For rendering just one page I'd see it as waayyy to expensive. You get very nice used 12"+ single page displays for less than 1/10 of the price.

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
Music 
(06-16-2020, 09:27 PM)jeffn1 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:55 PM)loonsailor Wrote: I received a new Airturn BT200-S2 today, and I can't get it to work with this tablet.  It connects, sort of, but nothing happens when I press the pedals.  It seems that the pedal is connected - it shows up in the bluetooth pairings list - but the tablet doesn't accept its input.  Same result in the browser and other apps.  They just don't see any input from the pedal.  I'll investigate further, and post here if I figure anything out.

Hello, loonsailor,

Any luck in getting the Airturn working on the Evoo 13.3 Android Tablet?

Jeff

Exactly my experience with this paperweight. Bluetooth is not working on this tablet. Connects and disconnects constantly. Tried Developer mode/settings, changed to all possible settings, nothing has helped. I am a techie, code for the web, HTML, PHP, JavaScript, so I know my way around different systems and apps. 
I have tried four pedals with the EVOO 13.3 inch tablet: Airturn BT 105 and the Quad version, the Airturn PedPro, and Beat Buddy (this one is Bluetooth 4 version as I am using Yamaha MD-BT01 with it). They (pedals) work with my old Kindle Fire, and Windows 2-in-1, as well as an Ipad 2/OnSong app, so I know it is not the pedals. I have MobileSheets Pro on my mobile phone too, and that connects fine no problem whatsoever. I have tried majority of Bluetooth apps out there and though they say the EVOO is compatible and should work, it does not. Havent's tested a Bluetooth speaker with it, and even if audio over BT works, it is not applicable. I did try OTG cable and the lifesaver there is that the EVOO has a separate charging port, so can utilize the USB at the same time. However, for my setup, that means I would have to run at least two additional USB cables.

Today I am testing a Kindle Fire 10.1 HD latest model, 9th generation, may get it if it works. Need something cheap, and lighter, as I don't like the idea of bringing my 15" 2-in-1 ASUS and mounting it on a stand. Someone mentioned using a monitor tethered to another device/mobile/small factor PC, but then you have to think about connectivity, possible use of WIFI, etc. The simpler the rig, the less points of failure.

The EVOO is up for sale, not worth the time to fiddle with it, in my opinion. And did I mention it is slow? The software is laggy, loading of apps is slow, which is not acceptable for practice, let alone live performance. Just not confident in it's performance.
(03-16-2021, 05:50 AM)KBMSP Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 09:27 PM)jeffn1 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:55 PM)loonsailor Wrote: I received a new Airturn BT200-S2 today, and I can't get it to work with this tablet.  It connects, sort of, but nothing happens when I press the pedals.  It seems that the pedal is connected - it shows up in the bluetooth pairings list - but the tablet doesn't accept its input.  Same result in the browser and other apps.  They just don't see any input from the pedal.  I'll investigate further, and post here if I figure anything out.

Hello, loonsailor,

Any luck in getting the Airturn working on the Evoo 13.3 Android Tablet?

Jeff

Exactly my experience with this paperweight. Bluetooth is not working on this tablet. Connects and disconnects constantly. Tried Developer mode/settings, changed to all possible settings, nothing has helped. I am a techie, code for the web, HTML, PHP, JavaScript, so I know my way around different systems and apps. 
I have tried four pedals with the EVOO 13.3 inch tablet: Airturn BT 105 and the Quad version, the Airturn PedPro, and Beat Buddy (this one is Bluetooth 4 version as I am using Yamaha MD-BT01 with it). They (pedals) work with my old Kindle Fire, and Windows 2-in-1, as well as an Ipad 2/OnSong app, so I know it is not the pedals. I have MobileSheets Pro on my mobile phone too, and that connects fine no problem whatsoever. I have tried majority of Bluetooth apps out there and though they say the EVOO is compatible and should work, it does not. Havent's tested a Bluetooth speaker with it, and even if audio over BT works, it is not applicable. I did try OTG cable and the lifesaver there is that the EVOO has a separate charging port, so can utilize the USB at the same time. However, for my setup, that means I would have to run at least two additional USB cables.

Today I am testing a Kindle Fire 10.1 HD latest model, 9th generation, may get it if it works. Need something cheap, and lighter, as I don't like the idea of bringing my 15" 2-in-1 ASUS and mounting it on a stand. Someone mentioned using a monitor tethered to another device/mobile/small factor PC, but then you have to think about connectivity, possible use of WIFI, etc. The simpler the rig, the less points of failure.

The EVOO is up for sale, not worth the time to fiddle with it, in my opinion. And did I mention it is slow? The software is laggy, loading of apps is slow, which is not acceptable for practice, let alone live performance. Just not confident in it's performance.

Sorry you had to go through that and thanks for the post. I guess warranty is up?  Taking into account your considerable technical knowledge, the paces you put this tablet through, and other people's experiences  with it (including me) I think we can confirm this tablet should NOT be purchased for MS.
Hello fellow Mobilesheets users!
Ive been a happy mobilesheets user for years and years, all my gigs are deps on bass guitar, and I'd be dead without it. First on a Chinese 10inch, then a crappy 2nd hand 10inch samsung galaxy tab which recently became so slow it was unusable, and also the battery was basically at 0 capacity. Recently even having a power bank plugged in, it would still drain too fast to last a gig. So it was time. Time to finally be playing gigs again (Yay) and move to a 13.3 inch tab... and oh my god.. 

Hannspree Zeus 3 - 13.3 inch Android Tablet

I paid about £250 for the tablet. It's giant. It just JUST fits in my current clip (which is also years and years old), without the case.

Negatives first:

It's super heavy, and even more unwieldily when being used with the free case it comes with.

It only charges through DC power jack 3A 5V, but it looks like you can get a USB-A to barrel on ebay that should fit. If I grab it i'll come back and confirm 
it charges from a power bank at 2A.

It's okay for A4 pages but you waste a lot of length, and this thing carries some hefty bezels as well.

Positives:
In terms of mobilesheets though, it's glorious. Everything seems to work fine, importing from google drive, restoring my library through the companion, my Cicada PageTurn over Bluetooth. The size increase is excellent, especially when I format my charts for the aspect ratio perfectly (think it's straight up 16:9). 
The battery life is insane, or maybe I'm just so used to never leaving home without a fully charged 20,000mah battery pack for my old tablet haha! It's been on for about 5 days, one full day of using behringer X-air app for a recording session doing headphone mixes, and 3 days of preparing charts and practicing for an upcoming gig. 11hrs screen on time. Think it's 10,000mah battery.
The tablet itself seems fine and snappy, but honestly I don't use this tablet for anything recreationally like content consumption or gaming etc. It usually will live in my gig bag and I only get it out to make a setlist.

Anyway, hope this may help people think about the pros and cons of going big or going home Smile

https://imgur.com/a/NiylHw8