• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the ideal tablet for MobileSheetsPro
(09-13-2015, 11:00 PM)sciurius Wrote: Just for the sake of curiosity: What instruments and what mixer?

I play a regular electric guitar (usually Strat or Tele, depending on gig) plus a nylon strung amplified acoustic and a pedal steel guitar, often all on the one gig - I work with a couple of pretty eclectic outfits - so balancing all three is rather necessary.

The mixer is a BST Tiny 20, like this one - http://www.okazii.ro/sisteme-audio/altel...-a52190329 - which I've had for years and is probably no longer manufactured, so possibly hard to find now. I guess one might turn upon eBay, etc., so worth checking out that possibility. It has one mic/phono input channel and three mic/line channels, which is perfect for my use.

Although mixers are generally used for microphones, most will accept a line level input as well, so you should be able to find something suitable.  

The main problem is matching the input impedace of the mixer to a guitar.  Guitars should (ideally) run into a high impedance input, 1 Mohm+, whereas many mixers only offer a much lower input impedance on their line inputs.  To overcome this, you could use DI boxes, but this does mean a slightly more complex wiring and setting up time.  Mis-matching the impedances could result in a loss of high frequencies, but it's always worth trying the simple setup first and see how it performs.  I don't need DI's on this rig, so I was lucky.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
You must have been very lucky finding this thing. I've been searching for years now for something similar. All I can find are mic/line mixers, nothing suitable (and affordable) for 3 or 4 guitars. And I would really like to avoid having to use 3 DI boxes Sad .
The Palmer DUETTO comes close, but only 2 channels. Palmer Trinity looks nice, but rather expensive.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(10-23-2015, 05:01 AM)sciurius Wrote: You must have been very lucky finding this thing. I've been searching for years now for something similar. All I can find are mic/line mixers, nothing suitable (and affordable) for 3 or 4 guitars. And I would really like to avoid having to use 3 DI boxes Sad .
The Palmer DUETTO comes close, but only 2 channels. Palmer Trinity looks nice, but rather expensive.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c125--Analog_Mixers
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(10-23-2015, 05:01 AM)sciurius Wrote: You must have been very lucky finding this thing. I've been searching for years now for something similar. All I can find are mic/line mixers, nothing suitable (and affordable) for 3 or 4 guitars. And I would really like to avoid having to use 3 DI boxes Sad .

Not so much lucky as already having it.  I purchased it in 1998, for a totally different purpose and retired it 10 years later, when it was no longer in use.  It was just sitting on a shelf until 3 years ago, when I dug it out to use for mixing the guitars. 

It's only downside is that it's designed for the domestic market so has a ton of RCA connectors rather than 1/4" jacks.  You have no idea how hard it was to find proper mono to mono adaptors. I must have tried about six suppliers before I found some!  

The DI solution is technically the best, but I see no reason why you should not use any mixer with line inputs. In your place, I'd borrow one and see how it goes.

At $25, one of these might be worth a punt - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX400 . At 4.Kohm the imput impedance is low for a guitar, but definitely worth a try.
Graeme

Some of my music here
I tried a WAM-290 once, but didn't like it. It's impedance is only 600Ω, far too low. 4kΩ is still a bit low, but worth trying. Thanks for the suggestions.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
600 ohms is pushing it a bit too far.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(09-03-2015, 09:58 PM)sciurius Wrote: I have a quality (though brandless) stand and a brandless tablet adapter that nicely fits the stand when I remove the document holder.

I needed to replace one screw (see image #4) since the original screw was just too thick to fit the slits in the head of the stand.
During rehearsals I usually use the stand with the document holder fitted, so it is easy to put on a piece of paper, a pen, etc.

Cool!  Idea
I feel like the thread has drifted off topic, but I'll chime in my 2 cents...you mentioned multiple DI boxes for your rig...I was lucky to find somebody selling an 8-channel DI box cheap a while back and snagged it for our church sound system. It's a behringer ultra di pro model di800. We use it for 2 acoustic-elec guitars, piano, bass, and electric violin...all with 1/4" inputs and balanced outputs as well as having the option for unbalanced 1/4 outputs for amps, which we use with the bass and violin on a two channel keyboard amp for our personal monitor. Works great for all of us with no issues to speak of. Has a gain adjustment (+20/-10 or both buttons together for +10) on each channel as well as ground lift. Might be worth looking into for you as there is also a 4-channel version (di4000) in the $100 price range.
SmarTab StreaMachine 13.3", Android 4.4.4
Samsung Galaxy Book 12, Windows 10
Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G, Android 11
AirTurn PED
To bring this back on topic, I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7") for MobileSheets during the Black Friday sales - haven't had a chance to actually use it yet but it's 4:3, has a high-res screen, is relatively large and yet still light so I have high hopes for it. Smile
(12-02-2015, 11:07 AM)alex_hk90 Wrote: To bring this back on topic, I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7") for MobileSheets during the Black Friday sales - haven't had a chance to actually use it yet but it's 4:3, has a high-res screen, is relatively large and yet still light so I have high hopes for it. Smile

Hi Alex,

Be cautious with the OS for Galaxy tabs, the USB link is a problem. Stick with Kitkat 4.****. The Lollipop 5.***** update crashed the USB midi interface with my Korg PA600 and I cannot connect with the keyboard songbook as I could with Kitkat OS before. Mike has no fix because the issue is with Samsung, not Mobilesheets.  I should have switched off the update permission, or turn off the Wifi, because Samsung creates an issue with your apps being updated to require Lollipop OS. I had not installed the OS update for about 2 months after it was downloaded, because I'd heard of compatability issues. Some apps were acting weird and so like an idiot I installed Lollipop. Immediately Mobilesheets crashed when the USB/keyboard link was initiated, and although Mike prevents crashing with an update, I still do not have one of the features I originally bought the tablet for. (FYI.  Korg and Mobilesheets organized a nifty arrangement to link via Midi, the database of music scores on the tablet, and the musical settings of the songs in the keyboard Songbook database. When a song was selected by either the tablet or the keyboard, all the pre-sets such as music style, rhythm, tempo, instruments, introduction, keyboard split characteristics  together with the Midi song, or MP3 and the music score displayed on the tablet were linked. One stop, one button shopping for the busy musician. For a Gig player, this is a game changer! - Sorry, was a game changer!! Angry
maintech,

I just reached out to the developer of USB Pro Audio Player as he was the first one to post on the Samsung thread. I'm trying to see if Samsung ever contacted him or if he figured out a workaround. Hopefully he will contact me soon with any information. Considering his application does some pretty complex stuff over USB, I figure if anyone had information, it would be him. Here's hoping...

Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciate your hard work on our behalf,

Regards,

David M.
I got a response from that developer. He indicated that the only workaround is for me to add a device filter xml file so that my application can be automatically started when particular USB devices are attached. I can't seem to find a way to filter on just MIDI devices though, and I certainly wouldn't want to try to add a filter for every MIDI device out there, so I'm not sure if that workaround is feasible (I sent the developer another email to see if he knows). I also posted on the Samsung forum just to show my support for something being done to fix this issue.

If I do find a filter that works, would users find it incredibly annoying to have MobileSheetsPro ask if you want to start it every time you connect a MIDI USB device? I'm assuming if MobileSheetsPro is already running that it will just prompt for MobileSheetsPro to be given access to the device (similar to how it already works), but there is a possibility that it could cause the application to restart.

Mike
I like the idea to start MobileSheets when MIDI USB device is connected. Also if possible it might be good idea to add option to MSPro settings where we can pick MIDI devices were want to have this behaviour so MSPro will have automatically access to this device. Know I need to confirm I want to use particular MIDI device everytime it's connected even if I check box to automatically use MSPro for this device.

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
I have only one device I connect the tablet to, the Korg keyboard, so having Mobilesheets start when its connected is perfect for me. I use a laptop when connecting Midi control such as DAW to the Korg. I find the computer easier to operate rather than a tablet.