• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the ideal tablet for MobileSheetsPro
The developer of USB Audio Player got back to me and gave me the information I needed to allow MobileSheetsPro to be automatically started when a USB MIDI device is connected (I definitely owe him!). This should get around the permissions issue that occurs on Samsung devices. maintech/David M, would you be willing to test a beta version that should be able to connect to your Korg? I can either send you a beta installer that installs as a separate product, or a new version of MobileSheetsPro that will replace your current one (either way your library should be unaffected).

Thanks,
Mike
(12-04-2015, 01:14 AM)maintech Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 11:07 AM)alex_hk90 Wrote: To bring this back on topic, I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7") for MobileSheets during the Black Friday sales - haven't had a chance to actually use it yet but it's 4:3, has a high-res screen, is relatively large and yet still light so I have high hopes for it. Smile

Hi Alex,

Be cautious with the OS for Galaxy tabs, the USB link is a problem. Stick with Kitkat 4.****. The Lollipop 5.***** update crashed the USB midi interface with my Korg PA600 and I cannot connect with the keyboard songbook as I could with Kitkat OS before. Mike has no fix because the issue is with Samsung, not Mobilesheets.  I should have switched off the update permission, or turn off the Wifi, because Samsung creates an issue with your apps being updated to require Lollipop OS. I had not installed the OS update for about 2 months after it was downloaded, because I'd heard of compatability issues. Some apps were acting weird and so like an idiot I installed Lollipop. Immediately Mobilesheets crashed when the USB/keyboard link was initiated, and although Mike prevents crashing with an update, I still do not have one of the features I originally bought the tablet for. (FYI.  Korg and Mobilesheets organized a nifty arrangement to link via Midi, the database of music scores on the tablet, and the musical settings of the songs in the keyboard Songbook database. When a song was selected by either the tablet or the keyboard, all the pre-sets such as music style, rhythm, tempo, instruments, introduction, keyboard split characteristics  together with the Midi song, or MP3 and the music score displayed on the tablet were linked. One stop, one button shopping for the busy musician. For a Gig player, this is a game changer! - Sorry, was a game changer!! Angry

Mine already came with Lollipop but I don't use a USB MIDI device with MobileSheets yet so it shouldn't be an issue - thanks for the warning though!
I often connect a USB-MIDI-device (MIDI keyboard) to my tablet, and I would not be pleased if connecting a device would unconditionally start MSPro. Can this be controlled by a MSPro setting?
If not, I could live with a "may I start" question when plugging in the device.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
It's a conditional thing - the OS asks if you want to start MobileSheetsPro when the device is connected and it has an option for always starting the app.
(08-13-2015, 02:18 AM)carrickp Wrote: I did have a terrible experience using my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 at a chamber music workshop performance this summer. This was just an informal performance for the workshop, but still.  Our group had not had a chance to rehearse on the stage. When we began playing, I quickly found out that the overhead stage lights were creating such a glare on the Samsung screen that I could not see a lot of the notes. I played TERRIBLY because of this. I guess I'll try out some non-reflective screen covers, but those things worry me that they might cut back on brightness and make the stylus not work well.

I'm not sure if that issue couldn't simply have been solved by changing the angle of your tablet. Mine is usually almost horizontal, so I'm seeing my own reflection when the display is turned off. I usually have no light sources on me Wink.

Other than that, I already considered making a hood from cardboard - similar to what's on traffic lights or available for some monitors. Haven't gotten around to doing that yet, though.
(12-22-2015, 04:31 AM)Fela Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 02:18 AM)carrickp Wrote: I did have a terrible experience using my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 at a chamber music workshop performance this summer. This was just an informal performance for the workshop, but still.  Our group had not had a chance to rehearse on the stage. When we began playing, I quickly found out that the overhead stage lights were creating such a glare on the Samsung screen that I could not see a lot of the notes. I played TERRIBLY because of this. I guess I'll try out some non-reflective screen covers, but those things worry me that they might cut back on brightness and make the stylus not work well.

I'm not sure if that issue couldn't simply have been solved by changing the angle of your tablet. Mine is usually almost horizontal, so I'm seeing my own reflection when the display is turned off. I usually have no light sources on me Wink.

Other than that, I already considered making a hood from cardboard - similar to what's on traffic lights or available for some monitors. Haven't gotten around to doing that yet, though.

I guess to solve that you'd need something with a Kindle-like e-ink display.

BTW I've started using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7") and I think it's great for MobileSheets. Big Grin The 4:3 ratio and high-res screen makes it a lot more comfortable to read than my old 10.1" (16:9 ratio) tablet. Smile
(08-13-2015, 02:18 AM)carrickp Wrote: ... stage lights were creating such a glare on the Samsung screen that I could not see a lot of the notes ... I guess I'll try out some non-reflective screen covers, but those things worry me that they might cut back on brightness and make the stylus not work well.

I've had real good results with a non-glare screen protector on a Lenovo tablet.  Very great reduction in glare without any noticeable reduction in brightness.  I usually use my finger but occasionally use a stylus + both seem to work well.  I notice a pretty slight decrease in the screen's sensitivity to touch, but it's not enough to be annoying to me.  YMMV as they say.
Has anyone tried an HP Pro Slate 12 with Mobilesheets? It has a 4:3 ratio, which would be nice. I couple of reviews I have read whine about the screen resolution, but for sheet music reading it may be fine.
[quote pid='13393' dateline='1450722702']

I'm not sure if that issue couldn't simply have been solved by changing the angle of your tablet. Mine is usually almost horizontal, so I'm seeing my own reflection when the display is turned off. 

If I saw my own reflection on the screen, also I play terrible  Big Grin
[/quote]

I guess to solve that you'd need something with a Kindle-like e-ink display.

BTW I've started using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7") and I think it's great for MobileSheets. Big Grin The 4:3 ratio and high-res screen makes it a lot more comfortable to read than my old 10.1" (16:9 ratio) tablet. Smile
Hi Mike,

Yes I'd love to test your beta material, you can send it to me via my email address.
I have just arrived in Florida (snow bird) and have my keyboard & tablet, plus some free time to play.
maintech - The beta has been over for quite some time...
Does anyone knows the XORO Megapad ?

http://www.xoro.de/produkte/tablet-pc/megapads/

I'm looking for a new tablet (my Hansspad died some weeks ago!!!).

What I'm not understanding about the XORO Megapad is the battery life ? In reality I'm not understanding if the battery is built-in....

Thanks, regards.

PS. other suggestions about different tablet works as well, I'm looking at Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, I think the best could be a 14" with 4:3 aspect ratio (considering A4 sheet is 14.3")
Sad ...looking for a good Tablet....!!! Confused
OS ...to be determined !!! 
May I say that 1GB RAM is rather low for a modern tablet?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(03-21-2016, 10:20 PM)sciurius Wrote: May I say that 1GB RAM is rather low for a modern tablet?

Hi scirius, I agree with you, anyway I'm just considering a tablet to be used almost exclusively with MobileSheets Pro so I guess 1GB of RAM could be enough for that scope, what do you think ?

On the other opposite I could consider a good (top ?) tablet with enough screen size also for other purposes but in this latter case I know it will be more expensive.

What do you suggest ?
Hi, for those users using the viewsonic tablet one question: is it possible to put it in portrait mode (vertical) ?

Thx, regards.