• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets v4.0.2 and MobileSheets Companion v1.4.1 Released
That's bizarre Snard. If I tap in the center of the screen, it's still showing/hiding the overlay for me. Did you possibly change your "Overlay Toggle Mode" setting? I'm noticing some odd behavior if I choose Long Press or Swipe Up/Down. If I choose Long Press, I have to long press to hide the overlay (instead of to bring it up). This is obviously backwards. With Swipe Up/Down, it's impossible to hide the overlay. I'll make sure these get fixed ASAP.
(01-29-2013, 08:50 AM)Zuberman Wrote: That's bizarre Snard. If I tap in the center of the screen, it's still showing/hiding the overlay for me. Did you possibly change your "Overlay Toggle Mode" setting? I'm noticing some odd behavior if I choose Long Press or Swipe Up/Down. If I choose Long Press, I have to long press to hide the overlay (instead of to bring it up). This is obviously backwards. With Swipe Up/Down, it's impossible to hide the overlay. I'll make sure these get fixed ASAP.
Mike,

I did indeed change my overlay toggle mode action; I found that I was triggering it by accident way too often. I've just changed it back to single tap, and now I can exit overlay mode with a second tap.

When I experienced the problem with the new build, I changed the action from Long Press to Swipe Up/Down; I didn't try using a Long Press to exit from overlay mode, but if that works, I'm fine with that. In fact, it kind of makes sense for the same action to enter & exit Overlay Mode, if you can code it that way.

Thanks for looking into this quickly. In the meanwhile, this isn't urgent so I wouldn't bust out a new build over this.
Well, I have a fix for this... I'll wait for a couple of days to see if any other minor problems show up, and push a small update for them.
Addendum: I've just confirmed that setting the action to Long Press lets me toggle modes both ways with that action. And one further "by the way" that I meant to post when I first tried this: the "long press" behavior was counter-intuitive the first time I tried it, because it didn't act on the long press until I released my finger (leading me to believe that it wasn't working). On other "long press" actions, the action occurs before I remove my finger from the screen. Is there a reason you implemented it the way you did?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that I really like that the window in overlay mode is a popup now, instead of the sliding window. Since it doesn't obscure 1/2 of my song, it's less of a penalty to leave the screen in overlay mode. The only exception is that I often format my songs to use as much of the screen as possible, so the bars at the top/bottom of the screen sometimes hide part of my song (which can sometimes make it a challenge to put link points or annotations where I want them, but that's another story...)
The reason I don't currently handle the long press as you hold it is a little complicated. If I enable the ability to process long presses in Google's touch detector, I lose the ability to detect scrolling (don't ask me why they implemented it this way). I need scrolling, as it's essential for landscape mode. So I'm basically performing a time-based calculation when you release your finger to see if you held it down a certain amount of time (constituting a long press). This was a simple way to implement it. In order to handle a long press in the more intuitive fashion, I would need to either create a background thread to watch how long the finger is down (assuming I can poll for this information), or I would need to perform more calculations during touch move events to see if the user is barely moving their finger for a certain duration of time (this is probably how Google implements theirs). I'll study Google's code a little more, and see what I can do. If I can implement better long press detection, I will.

Thanks for your feedback Snard, and for helping answer other questions on the forum. I really appreciate that. Let me know if I can do anything to help obscure less of your screen with the overlay. You can disable the page slider if you want, but I'm not sure what to do about the bottom buttons.
(01-29-2013, 09:36 AM)Zuberman Wrote: ...

Thanks for your feedback Snard, and for helping answer other questions on the forum. I really appreciate that. Let me know if I can do anything to help obscure less of your screen with the overlay. You can disable the page slider if you want, but I'm not sure what to do about the bottom buttons.

You're very welcome. I may have mentioned before that I'm a software developer by trade and a musician in my spare time. I don't have any experience in Android development, at least at this time, but your "behind the scenes" explanation on the long press behavior makes sense to me.

As I alluded to before, with the slide window no longer present, I'm more inclined to set my overlay action back to "short tap", since it's easy to simply tap a second time if I bring up the overlay accidentally.

On the other topic (obscuring the top & bottom of the screen in overlay mode), I have a couple of ideas that might be worth looking into. I've noticed that when you are in the initial overlay mode, the slider & top/bottom bars are essentially overlaid on the screen, and they hide what is behind them. However, if I pick annotation mode, the bar at the top of the screen doesn't obscure the window, it is actually above it (i.e. if you use a two finger drag gesture, you can slide the window down & see the top of the screen). However, the various option boxes at the bottom of the screen are overlays. If there was a way to scroll the window up & down (i.e. if the bars behaved like the title bar in annotation mode), maybe this would be a way to do it.

BTW, I'm just brainstorming here, so don't run off and start coding yet! Smile

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon