• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheets v4.0.2 and MobileSheets Companion v1.4.1 Released
I'm very happy to announce the release of two new updates. These updates include a large number of bug fixes reported by users as well as a lot of very important enhancements. I think everyone is going to enjoy this release, and I've done my best to ensure that it's going to be a smooth one. I'm also thrilled to announce that MobileSheets is now available in Dutch, French, German and Spanish! I want to send a big thank you to Stephan Saul, Joël Roessel, Vicente Solsona, and Sipke Veenstra for their amazing contributions in helping me translate the software. I will be setting up a forum soon so that people can provide feedback and suggestions for the various translations. Without further ado, here is the list of changes:

MobileSheets v4.0.2
-Added German, French, Dutch, and Spanish translations
-Fixed connection issues with companion app. Added options to change the connection settings. Also added support for a manual connection option to bypass popup
-Added new drag and drop list that is much faster and more intuitive. Also supports quick deletion of items.
-Added new file browser that supports the selection of multiple files, and common file commands (create directory, delete, etc)
-Switched default database location back to internal storage to prevent errors from the SD card being locked
-Added option to switch database location to SD Card with internal backups
-Moved around settings, created a new category, and added database import and export options
-Fixed bug that was causing link points to disappear in certain situations.
-Fixed bug that prevented any more than two link points from being created
-Changed sliding window to popup windows that can be closed
-Fixed issue with password protected PDFs. They can be successfully added now.
-Fixed issue with importing files from emails or downloads
-Added option to exclude audio files from backups. Removed options to exclude other file types, as that is no longer needed with export database feature
-Huge number of minor bug fixes and layout adjustments

MobileSheets Companion v1.4.1
- Fixed various connection issues with tablet
- Added manual connection option as well as options to change connection settings
- Fixed drag and drop issues with the setlist editor.
- Files are no longer prepended with an id if you check the create subdirectories option.
- The song count is now correctly updated after a song is added
- Fixed issue where songs could be created without an artist or album.

Due to the large number of features I've added, I will need to update the manual soon to reflect these changes. I will be doing this while also working on the next update, which will introduce positional zooming, cropping and more. Thanks for the support everyone!
Thanks very much for this comprehensive update! This past weekend, I think I ran across one of the bugs you fixed (link points not showing up. This was for a song that consisted of multiple .JPG files). I'll confirm that the link points work correctly with the new version, once I've installed it.

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask on the update process. On the Android side, there can be a delay on the availability of the app depending on the market we used when we purchased the app (I used Google Play so I tend to see updates right away, but one of my fellow choir members bought from the Amazon Appstore, which can take another day or two). However, on the PC side, the companion app will report a new version immediately.

So after that lengthy introduction, here's my question: is there any danger in installing the latest greatest companion if I'm still running an older Android version? I've seen messages on my Android screen when the companion app connects, which lead me to believe that there are compatibility checks going on, but that raises a further question: if the companion app detected a "too old" Android app/database, is there an easy way to "back down" to an older companion app version? Or would I be stuck & have to wait until the Android app updates?
I would just like to make a note that I unfortunately had "automatically update" checked for this application and now my database is missing. I would advise anyone more responsible than myself to make sure they have a recent backup before updating to this new version and to turn off automatic updates.

EDIT: It seems that this new version cannot load a previously saved backup that was located on my Nexus 10. =\

EDIT 2: Nevermind!
Thanks for a very nice upgrade.

The file manager is a major benefit. I did notice that when add ing it failed to see my wma files

With all the improvements it is easier than ever to add songs. I do think many users would appreciate having batch or audio files plus allow audio only. There are times that I need an audio only tracks that do not need any music graphics. I know that this is not your intended purpose but MS now has very wide appeal for multiple uses.

Thanks
Adding support for that is still on my radar. I apologize that it is taking so long to add. There are just too many requests for one part time worker Smile

When I created the filter list for the audio files, I used Google's list of supported media types: http://developer.android.com/guide/appen...rmats.html. I completely forgot about wma. I'll add that back in for the next update.
I pushed out an immediate fix for this. No one should be affected by this now, but if anyone does encounter this issue, use the new Options->Advanced->Database Import, and navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files/, and import either mobilesheets.db or mobilesheets.db.backup. This restores everything. It's just a file copy error that prevented the database from being put in the target location.

(01-29-2013, 05:00 AM)ekimgram Wrote: I would just like to make a note that I unfortunately had "automatically update" checked for this application and now my database is missing. I would advise anyone more responsible than myself to make sure they have a recent backup before updating to this new version and to turn off automatic updates.

EDIT: It seems that this new version cannot load a previously saved backup that was located on my Nexus 10. =\

Snard,

You can use the new companion with any "recent" version of MobileSheets, but if you try to use a version that is too old, you may run into some database issues. Anything 3.8 or greater should be just fine.

Mike

(01-29-2013, 02:02 AM)Snard Wrote: Thanks very much for this comprehensive update! This past weekend, I think I ran across one of the bugs you fixed (link points not showing up. This was for a song that consisted of multiple .JPG files). I'll confirm that the link points work correctly with the new version, once I've installed it.

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask on the update process. On the Android side, there can be a delay on the availability of the app depending on the market we used when we purchased the app (I used Google Play so I tend to see updates right away, but one of my fellow choir members bought from the Amazon Appstore, which can take another day or two). However, on the PC side, the companion app will report a new version immediately.

So after that lengthy introduction, here's my question: is there any danger in installing the latest greatest companion if I'm still running an older Android version? I've seen messages on my Android screen when the companion app connects, which lead me to believe that there are compatibility checks going on, but that raises a further question: if the companion app detected a "too old" Android app/database, is there an easy way to "back down" to an older companion app version? Or would I be stuck & have to wait until the Android app updates?
(01-29-2013, 05:22 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I pushed out an immediate fix for this. No one should be affected by this now, but if anyone does encounter this issue, use the new Options->Advanced->Database Import, and navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheets/files/, and import either mobilesheets.db or mobilesheets.db.backup. This restores everything. It's just a file copy error that prevented the database from being put in the target location.

(01-29-2013, 05:00 AM)ekimgram Wrote: I would just like to make a note that I unfortunately had "automatically update" checked for this application and now my database is missing. I would advise anyone more responsible than myself to make sure they have a recent backup before updating to this new version and to turn off automatic updates.

Ah, it's fine. I only had about 15 items in my database and my most recent backup had most so it was only about 15 minutes of work to get everything back in.
Smile 
Hello Mike,

looks good and its a pleasure to work with C1.4.1 and MS4.0.2 (GooglePlay)! Great job, thanks!

Greetings, CR
Okay, either I am being dense, or I've found a 'bug'...

In the new version, after bringing up overlay mode, I can't get it to dismiss anymore with a single tap in the middle area of the screen (which used to work). Is there another action that will return to "view mode"? If I click the "back arrow" button in the upper left, it closes the window (which isn't what I want).

Thanks!
That's bizarre Snard. If I tap in the center of the screen, it's still showing/hiding the overlay for me. Did you possibly change your "Overlay Toggle Mode" setting? I'm noticing some odd behavior if I choose Long Press or Swipe Up/Down. If I choose Long Press, I have to long press to hide the overlay (instead of to bring it up). This is obviously backwards. With Swipe Up/Down, it's impossible to hide the overlay. I'll make sure these get fixed ASAP.
(01-29-2013, 08:50 AM)Zuberman Wrote: That's bizarre Snard. If I tap in the center of the screen, it's still showing/hiding the overlay for me. Did you possibly change your "Overlay Toggle Mode" setting? I'm noticing some odd behavior if I choose Long Press or Swipe Up/Down. If I choose Long Press, I have to long press to hide the overlay (instead of to bring it up). This is obviously backwards. With Swipe Up/Down, it's impossible to hide the overlay. I'll make sure these get fixed ASAP.
Mike,

I did indeed change my overlay toggle mode action; I found that I was triggering it by accident way too often. I've just changed it back to single tap, and now I can exit overlay mode with a second tap.

When I experienced the problem with the new build, I changed the action from Long Press to Swipe Up/Down; I didn't try using a Long Press to exit from overlay mode, but if that works, I'm fine with that. In fact, it kind of makes sense for the same action to enter & exit Overlay Mode, if you can code it that way.

Thanks for looking into this quickly. In the meanwhile, this isn't urgent so I wouldn't bust out a new build over this.
Well, I have a fix for this... I'll wait for a couple of days to see if any other minor problems show up, and push a small update for them.
Addendum: I've just confirmed that setting the action to Long Press lets me toggle modes both ways with that action. And one further "by the way" that I meant to post when I first tried this: the "long press" behavior was counter-intuitive the first time I tried it, because it didn't act on the long press until I released my finger (leading me to believe that it wasn't working). On other "long press" actions, the action occurs before I remove my finger from the screen. Is there a reason you implemented it the way you did?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that I really like that the window in overlay mode is a popup now, instead of the sliding window. Since it doesn't obscure 1/2 of my song, it's less of a penalty to leave the screen in overlay mode. The only exception is that I often format my songs to use as much of the screen as possible, so the bars at the top/bottom of the screen sometimes hide part of my song (which can sometimes make it a challenge to put link points or annotations where I want them, but that's another story...)
The reason I don't currently handle the long press as you hold it is a little complicated. If I enable the ability to process long presses in Google's touch detector, I lose the ability to detect scrolling (don't ask me why they implemented it this way). I need scrolling, as it's essential for landscape mode. So I'm basically performing a time-based calculation when you release your finger to see if you held it down a certain amount of time (constituting a long press). This was a simple way to implement it. In order to handle a long press in the more intuitive fashion, I would need to either create a background thread to watch how long the finger is down (assuming I can poll for this information), or I would need to perform more calculations during touch move events to see if the user is barely moving their finger for a certain duration of time (this is probably how Google implements theirs). I'll study Google's code a little more, and see what I can do. If I can implement better long press detection, I will.

Thanks for your feedback Snard, and for helping answer other questions on the forum. I really appreciate that. Let me know if I can do anything to help obscure less of your screen with the overlay. You can disable the page slider if you want, but I'm not sure what to do about the bottom buttons.