• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations transferable for entire song?
I have one long song (235 paged .pdf) that I've already bookmarked and annotated in MSP.
I need to replace that .pdf with a newer version but want to keep all the annotations and bookmarks I've already done.
(I thought I could use Swap for this, but but perhaps I'm not doing this properly.)
Is this possible and, if so, how would I do this?
You do have the right idea - swapping the new file in is the best approach (Long press song->Swap File). If you want to experiment with this, you can copy the song first, and then swap the file in the copy to make sure it works the way you want. Are you encountering errors while trying to do this?
(06-01-2015, 02:10 AM)Zuberman Wrote: You do have the right idea - swapping the new file in is the best approach (Long press song->Swap File).  If you want to experiment with this, you can copy the song first, and then swap the file in the copy to make sure it works the way you want.  Are you encountering errors while trying to do this?

If I am doing it correctly, the (new) song that I'm swapping the old one with is not showing the annotations. Perhaps the order I'm doing things is not correct.
I just tried this out - created a song with a 12 page PDF. Made annotations on pages 3 and 6. I then swapped in a 13 page PDF. The annotations were still present on pages 3 and 6.

How are you going about swapping the file? Are you long pressing the song on the main library screen, tapping the three dots at the top right and then selecting "Swap File? This should first make you pick the new file, then show a swap file dialog where you can choose some of the settings for the new file.

Mike
(06-01-2015, 03:35 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I just tried this out - created a song with a 12 page PDF. Made annotations on pages 3 and 6. I then swapped in a 13 page PDF.  The annotations were still present on pages 3 and 6.

How are you going about swapping the file? Are you long pressing the song on the main library screen, tapping the three dots at the top right and then selecting "Swap File? This should first make you pick the new file, then show a swap file dialog where you can choose some of the settings for the new file.

Mike
Sorry Mike, just saw your reply. It's 01:27 here and just turned off all equipment, including myself. Will try this carefully tomorrow and report back.
Many thanks!
Sorry this has taken so long, now I'm fighting against the clock...

I have tried doing as you've instructed, but I must be doing something, as I can not get this to work.
Here are the exact steps I've taken:

-- There is a song already annotated in MSP, visible under Song.

-- I've imported a different .pdf (same lobg song with additional lyrics) via Dropbox. This works correctly, the new .pdf appears in the song list.

-- I then do a long hold on the previously annotated song to select it.
-- I hit the 3 dots at the top right and choose "Swap File"
-- This brings up a list of songs, including the new .pdf which I want to use as the replacement.
-- I choose the same of the song I want to use as the replacement file (new .pdf)
-- This brings up the Swap File window

Oddly, it shows (seemingly incorrectly) the Existing File field with the name of the new file to be swapped instead of the original annotated .pdf
The field for New File shows (as expected) the name of the new .pdf I've chosen as the file that should be swapped (with the old file so it will have all the annotations and bookmarks of the original).

In other words, it appears that the program is wrongly choosing the existing file.

Am I misunderstanding this?
Please help, it's imperative I get this solved quickly.
Thanks
(06-04-2015, 11:40 PM)Alan Evans Wrote: Sorry this has taken so long, now I'm fighting against the clock...

I have tried doing as you've instructed, but I must be doing something, as I can not get this to work.
Here are the exact steps I've taken:

-- There is a song already annotated in MSP, visible under Song.

-- I've imported a different .pdf (same lobg song with additional lyrics) via Dropbox. This works correctly, the new .pdf appears in the song list.

-- I then do a long hold on the previously annotated song to select it.
-- I hit the 3 dots at the top right and choose  "Swap File"
-- This brings up a list of songs, including the new .pdf which I want to use as the replacement.
-- I choose the same of the song I want to use as the replacement file (new .pdf)
-- This brings up the Swap File window

Oddly, it shows  (seemingly incorrectly) the Existing File field with the name of the new file to be swapped instead of the original annotated .pdf
The field for New File shows (as expected) the name of the new .pdf I've chosen as the file that should be swapped (with the old file so it will have all the annotations and bookmarks of the original).

In other words, it appears that the program is wrongly choosing the existing file.

Am I misunderstanding this?
Please help, it's imperative I get this solved quickly.
Thanks

lobg = long
Hold the phones, I've kinda figured this out...it's a storage issue. duh.
Is it an issue with MS Pro storing a copy of the files in the storage directory?
Mike, I'm honestly not sure. I'm still really struggling with the storage (file) structure and that worries me. I'm afraid I have little control/oversight as to where files are kept. And to be perfectly honest, I'm floundering with the basics: how do I easily just jump to the basic main library. I'm not usually terribly obtuse, but it sure feel like I am ?
Full cast rehearsals start this Monday...I have a show coming up with a full cast and as pianist, I'm the only musician. 235 pages of non-stop pianistic trapeze work. So I'm desperate to get all under control before then ?
You can see where MSPro stores files by looking in Settings.Storage. There is an option "Set the MobileSheets Storage Location". This should tell you where things are stored. If you are copying files to your tablet "by hand" and don't have the "Delete Original After Copy" option set, you may well have two copies of everything on your tablet.

If you are running out of storage and don't know where it is going an app I find useful is DiskUsage

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....diskusage

HTH

Andy