• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
make SD writable without Root the tablet
I'm not sure if this still is an issue, but for me it was.

I wanted to copy my library to my sd card, but that gave a message 'read only'.
I have a tablet with Android 5.0.1 so I thought that wouldn't be an issue any longer, hmm...

I have solved this problem, by the solution that's given in this YouTube post.
The nice thing is that there is no need or condition to 'Root' the device in advance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7r883o9DEE

Ik have downloaded 'File Commander File Manager' from playstore, opened it and clicked on 'sd card'.
I got a message in a 'pop-up': 'Read only acces'. Then I clicked: 'Grant write permission' in the same pop-up.
Now the SD card was writable.
I still had to manually designate the correct path to the folder on the SD card, but after that it worked fine.
Maybe someone can benefit.
Tablet: Alcatel pix3 (10.1)
Pedal: Stich BT-FP2
That's really interesting. If it's possible to just change the write permissions on the SD card like that, I may be able to do that in my app. I'll see if I can add code that first attempts to make the SD card writable before I display the read-only error message.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm not an expert on this matter but I had a small suspicion that something like that maybe would be possible. Because when I tried to save a small text document on the SD cart, that I had made with WPS Office (that came with my tablet), that program asked me to give 'write permission' on the 'read only' SD cart. When I did, the file was saved on the SD cart.

Grts, Moi
Being able to save data on the SD Card (easily) would definitely be a nice feature. It would make my tablets more future-proof.

Jeff
I want to clarify that the only directory I will be able to make writable is the storage location the OS requires that I use for write access (i.e. /<ext sd card path>/Android/data/com.zubersoft.com/mobilesheetspro/files). I'm pretty sure if I try to make any other directory on the removable SD card writable, it won't work.
(01-10-2017, 04:52 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I want to clarify that the only directory I will be able to make writable is the storage location the OS requires that I use for write access (i.e. /<ext sd card path>/Android/data/com.zubersoft.com/mobilesheetspro/files).  I'm pretty sure if I try to make any other directory on the removable SD card writable, it won't work.

Unfortunately, this is the case.

It's a fine example of the over-restrictive practices operated by Google.  Like a lot of other people, I don't like being told I must place my files in a specific location.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(01-10-2017, 04:52 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I want to clarify that the only directory I will be able to make writable is the storage location the OS requires that I use for write access (i.e. /<ext sd card path>/Android/data/com.zubersoft.com/mobilesheetspro/files).  I'm pretty sure if I try to make any other directory on the removable SD card writable, it won't work.

But that would be allready great and effective.

Thanks and succes Mike,

Moi
(01-10-2017, 08:02 PM)GraemeJ Wrote:

Unfortunately, this is the case.

It's a fine example of the over-restrictive practices operated by Google.  Like a lot of other people, I don't like being told I must place my files in a specific location.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that need to be protected from themselves. Occasionally, that has been me!

As well, stopping malware from writing to the card is a big security plus...with unfortunate collateral issues as a result.

One of the big reasons I'm afraid to have one of those digital photo frames...SD card carries a worm back to your main computer when you plug in the card that was in the photo frame.
I could be wrong, it happened once before.