• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions (I'm a newbie)
Hi all, I'm new, tomorrow I'll receive my new tablet HannsPad 133 Titan (13.3"), I've read the manual about MSP and a lot of threads in this forum, as I'd like to start with a good configuration I'm asking you some questions.

My aim is to store ALL the data (scores, annotations, MSP database, audio files, etc.) that MSP will manage on EXTERNAL SD card in my new tablet, I'll use a 32GB SD card.

Questions:
  1. Should I set "Let MobileSheets Manage My Files" ON and the "Set the MobileSheets Storage Location" to the path of EXTERNAL SD card ?
  2. Should I set "Expose Database File" to the path of EXTERNAL SD card ? NOTE: I've read that on Android systems (my new tablet will have 12GB of disk space) does exist two partitions, one small (1-2GB) about the app and the remaining for the data, is this true ?
  3. What about "Copy Audio Files" ? In order to have also the audio files on the EXTERNAL SD card ?
  4. The Backup function (to create a .MSB file) is 1:1 in respect of files owned by the EXTERNAL SD card ? I mean if I've 20GB of data will I obtain a file .MSB of 20GB ?
  5. As I'll use the EXTERNAL SD card that could grow more than the maximum allowed space on my tablet (almost 10GB if we exclude that small partition 1-2GB for the apps) is it possible to define a different path for the Backup ? Maybe via wifi over my iMac ?
  6. If the point 5 is not applicable how should I backup my data ?
ok, it's all for now, I'm quite excited to cross the bridge to the digital sheets and I'd like to start with "the right foot".

Thank you everybody, Roberto.
Sad ...looking for a good Tablet....!!! Confused
OS ...to be determined !!! 
Welcome to the club!

It is hard to say whether you should / should not do things a certain way.
1. I have all my music in a folder on the external sdcard. I have set MSPro to NOT manage my songs, so it will not copy anything to the internal storage.
2. I have set MSPro Storage Location to external sdcard.
I have set Expose Database File, so the database will be stored in the MSPro Storage Location (which is on the external sdcard).
The main reason to put everything on external sdcard is that it is easy to access (copy, backup, ...) using external tools.
4. For backup, yes 20GB of music data will result in a 20GB (more or less) .MSB file. There is no compression. You can, however, exclude audio data from the backup. I assume you keep 'master' copies of music and audio on an external system anyway.
5. You can always designate the location where the backup should be placed, so even when all songs are on the internal sdcard you can create the .MSB on the external sdcard. Or on a USB-stick, and so on.

Hope this helps you enjoy MSPro.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Hi, thank you, I'm now officially a member as I've just bought this app from Google Play Store, I've also received my new specifically designated for sheets music tablet Hannspad 13.3", this evening I'll have also the 32GB SD card.

Reading your replies I've doubt about the setting "Let MobileSheets Manage My Files", on the manual is written is better to have it ON while you're telling OFF, I'm confused, if I leave it ON it will copy files to internal storage despite the setting "Set the MobileSheets Storage Location" (I mean on EXTERNAL SD card) ?

I have to discover if my tablet support a USB-stick for backup purposes.
Keep in mind, that write access to the SD card depends on the Android version (and possibly on the brand of the tablet). In my experience 4.4 (same as on my tablet) is the most difficult version. 
My recommendation: set up your environment and test thoroughly with a small number of files that all your intended workflows are working before you spend hours on importing scores and editing metadata. Don't forget to check restore from backup, see http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=2978
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Hi, regarding the backup someone that owns a tablet like mine (see in my signature) could confirm that is possibile to make a backup of MSP data (everything) hostes on external SD card (32GB) to a USB stick (like USB hard disk and so on ?), I' see that this tablet (Hannspad 13.3) comes with two USB ports.

In a different way: is MSP also able to backup/restore via wifi ? I mean to do the backup on a pc (like iMac) via wifi and restore from it.
Dropbox can be selected as backup destination. several users in the forum are using MSP in combination with Dropbox.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

Hi itsme, for me that solution (Dropbox) isn't affordable as I've 5GB of space.

I need more space, I mean 32GB if I consider the entire external SD card.
Wow!  You need 32GB for your tunes?  Your music library must be massive!   I have about 3,000 tunes on mine and I'm still under 1GB in storage space
I agree with Harper,1 GB is a lot for scores. I also have a lot of tunes and I'm slowly getting close to 1 GB.
Regarding that it is a good idea anyway to keep more than one backup, you can do it in two steps (as I do it currently): make a backup on the tablet, internal memory or SD card, wherever it fits, then move it to a PC.

My idea is to make the backup to an external USB drive connected to the tablet of the data that will be contained into the external SD card, at home I've an iMac so I can't use the Companion app to manage these things.

I don't know if it's possible to connect my new Android tablet to my iMac but if this could be possible I'll avoid the step about external USB drive.

One question: yesterday evening I was playing with MSP and despite having selected on my tablet to use the internal sd card (12GB partition) despite INTERNAL MEMORY (2 GB) I saw that MSP has been installed directly over the INTERNAL MEMORY. This is by design ? I've read that some apps are developed to run this way, does this apply also to MSP or is it something wrong on my tablet ?
With Android 4 you have to distinguish 3 kinds of memory: the internal memory, that is used by Android itself and to install applications, sdcard0 or emulated/0 that emulates what in former Android versions was the external SD card and is in fact a part of the built-in memory  and sdcard1 or the like which is the "true" external SD card. The feature to "move" installed  applications to the external SD card as it was common in older Android version is supported only  by a small number of manufacturers.  If you set MSP to use the external SD car, only the library database is moved.
Use a file explorer to investigate details. Be aware that not every file explorer shows everything, often the preinstalled explorer that comes pre-installed with a tablet has more access rights than apps that you install yourself. My favorite is "total commander", it can access several kinds of storage space like FTP space, WebDAV space, SMB shares, Dropbox and many more. I'm sure you can find a way to get in contact with your Mac. You need a way to bring files to your tablet anyway.
What you need to use an USB stick for backup is a feature often called "USB Host". It requires firstly a usually pretty cheap adapter to connect the small USB connector of the tablet with the big one of the stick. And secondly it must be supported by your device. Reliable information is hard to find, the best way is get such an adapter (maybe you can borrow one) and try it yourself.

This is why I decided not to mess with an external SD Card. For my purposes, it is asking for trouble. It is too bad.
Dalrmi, you might be able to use Bluetooth File Exchange (in your Mac's Applications>Utilities folder) or otherwise download Android file transfer (from the Android site).

(09-04-2015, 11:24 PM)dalrmi Wrote: My idea is to make the backup to an external USB drive connected to the tablet of the data that will be contained into the external SD card, at home I've an iMac so I can't use the Companion app to manage these things.

I don't know if it's possible to connect my new Android tablet to my iMac but if this could be possible I'll avoid the step about external USB drive.
I tried both solutions but neither of those works for me, I have to find a different way to do it....
(09-08-2015, 07:18 PM)dalrmi Wrote: I tried both solutions but neither of those works for me, I have to find a different way to do it....

When you connect the tablet using a simple USB cable to the iMac, it should be accessible, assuming the iMac supports MTP file systems, as most modern computers do.

On my (Linux) computer I can mount the tablet using simple-mtpfs and I get two directories:

* Internal Storage (this is what itsme describes as /sdcard0)
* SD Card (this is the real external SD card).

It shouldn't be any harder.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).