• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexpected Annotations Behaviour
I just found some behaviour I didn't expect.

I had a single page, single file song and I wanted to update the file. So I went into edit mode, selected the file tab, added the new replacement file and deleted the original. So the new file was initially file 2 and became file 1.

I had some annotations on the song and when I exited the editor these had disappeared. As it happens I don't mind as they were the corrections I had just fixed with the new file, but I didn't expect it. I assume what has happened is when I added the new file it became a two page song, then I deleted the first file, so the annotations on the first page were deleted with it.

I know I should have used swap file, but I forgot. And in this case I was just about to delete the annotations anyway, so I don't mind, but it might catch someone out in the future. So it might be worth looking at a warning or something.

Andy
I just checked the logic and if you remove a file from a song, it's going to remove all of the annotations with the file. They won't be preserved even if you add back a new file that had the same name as the previous one. If preserving the annotations in this scenario is something that is important to users, I can consider adding code to handle it, but the logic can get a bit complex. My preference is just for users to use the swap file feature or manually swap the file on the SD card. I'm planning on adding a popup menu if files are long pressed on the song editor screen, and one of the things on the menu could be "Swap File" to make it easier to access that functionality.
I wouldn't try and "fix" this. It was just unexpected and as everything else is so intuitive, I felt some sort of warning might be useful.

Making the swap file option more obvious would be a help. I usually use this or just swap the file on the SD card, but for some reason I did it differently this time.

Maybe when you delete a file it could pop up a warning saying all annotations will also be deleted.

Andy