• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Magic Trackpad as foot pedal
I've been using an Apple Magic Trackpad (original version) as a poor man's Bluetooth foot pedal on my Nexus 10.  However, I've had some difficulty with it and now can't get it to work.

When I first tried to set it up with MSP, clicking either of the trackpad's buttons only caused the interface to show and hide while viewing music - the click was registering in the center of the screen.  This was happening no matter which options were enabled in the settings (Enable USB Mouse Processing, Swap Mouse Click Actions, Treat Mouse Click as Pedal Press).  Sometime later, through no apparent doing of my own, it started working, although clicking only caused it to scroll down, not up.  Since then I've wiped and reset the tablet and now I'm back to square one.

Full disclosure: went from Android 5.1.1 stock to 6.0.1 rooted, but as far as the trackpad goes nothing seems different than it was on 5.1.1.

I searched the forums and couldn't find evidence of anyone else using the Magic Trackpad in this way. Any ideas?
Hi 

I‘d also like to use the Magic Trackpad (Gen 1) with MSP on Lumi2. So far, it connects fine and I am able to turn one page forward when I step on it. I would also like to go backwards when I step on the left side of the trackpad. Is this possible and if so, what needs to be configured ? 

Thank you for your help.
You'll need to set up the keys in the pedal action settings for that trackpad:

1) Load MobileSheetsPro, tap the three dots at the top right and then Settings.
2) Tap Touch & Pedal Settings and then Pedal Actions
3) Tap the "Keys" field for Pedal 1.
4) Tap the "Clear" button on the dialog.
5) Press one side of the magic trackpad. A key should show up.
6) If a key shows up, tap OK, then select the action you want that pedal to trigger from the dropdown below the keys field. Repeat these steps for pedal 2 but press the other side/button of the trackpad

Mike
Thank you for the quick support.

Unfortunately no key is displayed in step 5 when I press the trackpad. Any idea how to fix that ?
That means the trackpad doesn't send a key command when pressed. So it must act more like a mouse. In that case, just enable the option to treat mouse click as a pedal press and in theory, it should all work. The question is - what type of mouse clicks are generated? If it's left-click and right-click, then it should work. If it's left-click and middle-click, or if one click isn't registered properly in the Android OS due to a compatibility issue, then you wouldn't have a way to turn pages backward when stepping on the left side.

Mike
This makes sense as a tiny mouse pointer is shown in the screen. I am afraid that the Apple trackpad only sends one event to AndroidOS.  I read you can use one finger for left click and two fingers for the right click on OSX.

Oh well, was really hoping I could use the trackpad for going back and forth by foot….