• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box
Hello, Mike.

I have a feature request which is related to my other thread (importing problems).  My band uses Box instead of Dropbox for our file managing and distributing.  Hopefully adding support for importing via Box is a trivial problem to solve.  If so, I and perhaps many others would appreciate it.

Box offers 10GB of storage for free as opposed to Dropbox's paltry 2GB.  If I could import directly via Box, my soul would be fulfilled.

Thanks, Mike!
If Mike considers adding more cloud services I'd like to also suggest copy.com

It offers 15 gb free and has also a fair share model, meaning shared files count only partial against the data Volume.

E.g. If you share 15 gb with 2 other users it's only counted as 5 gb for your data volume, with 4 only 3 and so on.
I'm going to have to research the APIs exposed by both of those, because every service offers a different API, which means I have to implement a fair amount of code to speak to each. If they don't expose an API for developers, then I can't support them. I thought Google Drive was going to be simple, for example, and it took a huge amount of time, and I'm still fixing small issues with it. Some users also want SkyDrive/OneDrive, which is going to present some problems because it only works on devices running 4.0 or higher, so I have to add code/files to ensure that the option doesn't show up for devices running versions below 4.0 (that or give up on those devices as they represent an extremely small portion of my users now).

Mike
It looks like copy.com has a REST API but no Android API, and I don't have code in place to handle doing all of the low level communication required for a REST API, so that one is a no-go. Box does have a nice android developer API here https://github.com/box/box-android-sdk but it appears to require at least SDK level 14, which is also 4.0 or higher. If I want to support that, much like OneDrive, I'm going to have to limit it to certain devices, which just increases the amount of work a little bit.

Mike
(01-11-2016, 05:03 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I'm going to have to research the APIs exposed by both of those, because every service offers a different API, which means I have to implement a fair amount of code to speak to each.  If they don't expose an API for developers, then I can't support them.  I thought Google Drive was going to be simple, for example, and it took a huge amount of time, and I'm still fixing small issues with it.  Some users also want SkyDrive/OneDrive, which is going to present some problems because it only works on devices running 4.0 or higher, so I have to add code/files to ensure that the option doesn't show up for devices running versions below 4.0 (that or give up on those devices as they represent an extremely small portion of my users now).

Mike

Hi Mike,

I use both Box and OneDrive religiously.  I understand it'd be a lot of work on the back end.  I also appreciate your responsiveness here on the front end (the forum).  I know you can do it!
I use ownCloud religiously Smile . Unlimited storage, and everything under my control. No information gets stored on foreign servers.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
ownCloud is another one that has an Android API available which is nice. How popular is it? This is the first time I've heard of it.
I have also never heard of it but will investigate.
ownCloud has been around a couple of years now. It is quite popular, but it is not an commercial organization that draws attention with "Gigabytes Free Storage" ads.
Its strongest feature is that you can run (must run!) your own server so you have everything under control. It got a popularity boost after Snowdon.Setting up a server is relatively easy, NAS vendors like Synology provide it as a ready-to-run add-on package. Native clients exist for Android, iOS, Linux and Windows.
One of the Android features I like most is "Instant Upload". You take a picture and it will automatically be uploaded to the ownCloud server.

Note that since it is a private server, there are no fancy facilities to share files with other people on the internet.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
ownCloud was new to me as well. Looks interesting though and well worth a closer look.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(01-12-2016, 02:09 PM)Zuberman Wrote: ownCloud is another one that has an Android API available which is nice.   How popular is it? This is the first time I've heard of it.

I'd like to throw in another vote for adding ownCloud!

Thanks!

-Russ
Also a nice option to implement is the new stackstorage with a 1000 GB free space.
See https://www.transip.nl/stack/

Gr. Rogier
There ain't such a thing as 1000 GB free space.
Johan