• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicate files being created when overwriting
When I try and upload a PDF that I've updated and send it to MobileSheetsPro, I want the new file to replace the PDF that is on the device. 

Presently, I'm presented with two options; Ignore duplicate files, or create new file. So either nothing happens, or I end up with two files of the song, and I have to figure out which is the updated one and delete the other old one.

Hopefully that makes sense.
This is really part of MSP's file system, as it allows more than one file with the same name. When you consider that many musicians may have several different versions with the same title, this is quite an advantage.

On the rare occasions I actually need to replace a file, I just delete the file on the tablet first.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
If you are using the companion app, it's currently missing the "Swap File" option that is present on the tablet. I've added the code for this and it will be included with the next release. That is the proper way to replace an existing file for a song.

Mike
(02-25-2016, 12:01 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If you are using the companion app, it's currently missing the "Swap File" option that is present on the tablet. I've added the code for this and it will be included with the next release. That is the proper way to replace an existing file for a song.

Mike

Thanks so much Mike. I really appreciate your dedication to your app and your promptness. Big Grin
(02-25-2016, 12:01 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If you are using the companion app, it's currently missing the "Swap File" option that is present on the tablet. I've added the code for this and it will be included with the next release. That is the proper way to replace an existing file for a song.

Mike

Hi again Mike,

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but I've now just tried to use the duplicate feature since updating everything. And while the new dialogue box pops up asking me if I want to replace the file, I click replace, but a duplicate file is still created after hitting OK. --- Or in other words the existing file still remains after replacing it.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting and the file is still there. 

Thanks
Did you right-click the song and select "Swap File"? Or did you try to just import the file again? I guess I'm a little confused why you say a duplicate file still remains - the replace file option is only shown if the destination path already exists, so there is no way two files could exist at the same location. Are you saying the file isn't actually replaced? I just tried using the companion to import a different version of a file, chose "Replace File", then loaded the song on the tablet, and the file was replaced, so it seems to work for me.

Mike
Ah I see what's going on here.. I'm not right-clicking and clicking "Swap File" but rather I'm just dragging files from my Windows folders and dropping them into to MS. I'll try to remember to right-click and swap file. But the ability to drag and drop files and not create duplicates would also be appreciate. But good to know now it can be done. Cheers
If it would be useful, I could add extra detection for when a file being imported matches the name of an existing song in the library, and then prompt the user to decide if they want to swap the file in for the existing song or create a new song from it.