• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CVS Import for txt files?
OK, got it. It's about handling more than one title per song.
Generally MSP is designed around m:n relationships (ask your favorite search engine about "database cardinality m:n" to read more). The obvious ones are songs - composers (a song can have m composers, a composer might have written n songs) or songs - collections (a collection contains several songs, a song can be in several collections).
For song titles there is nothing like that, we just have "sort title" as a second option. And I doubt that CSV import is the best starting point, CSVs are mainly linear lists that link a number of songs to a certain file.
If I had the plan to organize a huge collection of sheet music in MSP I could imagine a way like this using only features that already exist:
- create a song in MSP for every song in your collection, write into MSP's "title" the title as it is printed on the sheet
- for songs with more than one title, decide which of the titles shall be your "main title", write this into "sort title" in MSP, so MSP will use this one in all its lists
- searching in MSP should find the song when searching for the title as well as searching for the sort title (I assume, need to check that)
- create a text file (or whatever is convenient) with the same title, maybe with a postfix "(song info)", import it as "local file" into MSP like any song
- write the list of all song titles for this specific song into its "song info" file
- add this "song info" file to MSP under all contained song titles, note: the file itself exists only once, but with several MSP database entries
To create the "song info" file, MSP can assist you:
- all these songs are listed close together with their sort title on the "Songs" tab, create a temporary setlist of them and export it with an adequate song list format containing both title and sort title
What you have achieved now:
If you can remember the "main title" you can find all your versions easily. If you can't remember the main title, any other title of the song will find the "song info" file where you can look up the main title.
The "song info" file could also be used to collect more details about a song in a central place.
Collecting and maintaining this is a time-consuming process, no doubt. But matching various titles for the same song is a manual process anyway (except some easy automatic removing of "the", "a" and so on that we already have).
Feel free to contact me by e-mail, if you have further questions, we can discuss that also in German.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Messages In This Thread
CVS Import for txt files? - by BRX - 03-02-2016, 09:57 PM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by BRX - 03-02-2016, 10:23 PM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by itsme - 03-03-2016, 12:12 AM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by BRX - 03-03-2016, 01:24 AM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by itsme - 03-03-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by Skip - 03-03-2016, 07:52 AM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by Zubersoft - 03-03-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by BRX - 03-03-2016, 07:31 PM
RE: CVS Import for txt files? - by sciurius - 03-04-2016, 01:18 AM