• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batch Import of song with different titles
Question 
I want to import a complete book of sheets (one pdf per page) and want to be able to determine the titles of the songs by any property but not the filename. In my songbook I have up to 10 different titles for one single song.
For examle the first song in the book has 3 different titles and all of them use the identical pdf file.

To be memory efficient, I want the different songs to show up as different titles, but all of them point to one and the same pdf (or set of pdfs). It would be easy if I would do it manually. But with more than 350 pages (200 songs and about 600 different song titles) it would simply take too long.

Is there any solution available I could use directly? Up to now, I only found solutions, where the title of the song is derived from the filename. This would lead to duplicated files with different filenames, which is not efficient and a lot of work to build and rename the pdf-files.

I could imagine 2 different solutions:
- The recently released batch import where the directory names are used for tagging the songs; the only problem with that is, that currently it's not possible to determine the title of the song by the directory name
- a csv based import in which I can define each song by a title and one or more pdf files by name. In this case a single pdf or a set of several pdfs could be used for several songs which look identical but has a different title

Since I have a list of the song names (titles) both solutions could be done more or less automatically. I could really save a lot of time, if anybody could give me a hint or a possible solution of my problem. Maybe I'm not the only one having such a problem.
What you're are looking for indeed is provided by the csv import option. It's rather new, so it isn't in the manual yet, but have a look into this thread

http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3192

where Mike introduced and explained it.
(03-03-2016, 07:31 AM)BRX Wrote: What you're are looking for indeed is provided by the csv import option. It's rather new, so it isn't in the manual yet, but have a look into this thread

http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=3192

where Mike introduced and explained it.

Thank you BRX for the link. I didn't mention in my post, that I tried to build and import the csv-Files already. It always ends up with the error message "Passendes PDF für FJ4_Lied1.csv nicht gefunden".
To simplify, I used a PDF with the filename FJ4_Lied1.pdf. The CSV-file I tried to import is attached to this post.
Any idea, what is wrong?

Attached Files
.csv   FJ4_Lied1.csv (Size: 114 bytes / Downloads: 3)
Are pdf and csv in the same directory?
(03-04-2016, 06:44 AM)BRX Wrote: Are pdf and csv in the same directory?
Yes, both are in the same directory in Dropbox.
There appears to be a bug with using the CSV import off Dropbox. For now, you'll have to copy both files to the tablet first, then use the CSV import off the tablet SD card. I'll get this fixed for the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike
(03-04-2016, 03:54 PM)Zuberman Wrote: There appears to be a bug with using the CSV import off Dropbox.  For now, you'll have to copy both files to the tablet first, then use the CSV import off the tablet SD card. I'll get this fixed for the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike

Thank you, that helped!
Anyway, I'm having another problem with the character set. Since I'm using german language titles with "ö, ä, ü and ß", these characters are displayed as hyroglyphs. Which character set will be supported in the future? UTF-8, UTF-16?
Another problem occurs with the CSV-based import: Since currently only comma-separators are supported, it's not possible to use commas in the music titles. I removed the commas from my titles as a workaround, but better would be selectable separators or maybe automatic recognition of separators.
I know, that's a huge amount of work, to satisfy all those requirements, but it's worth, since it's a great and useful app for all music lovers and I couldn't find any other app which has the same level of quality and features.
(03-05-2016, 10:23 PM)Audioliebhaber Wrote: Another problem occurs with the CSV-based import: Since currently only comma-separators are supported, it's not possible to use commas in the music titles. I removed the commas from my titles as a workaround, but better would be selectable separators or maybe automatic recognition of separators.

That's incorrect. Other separators and automatic recognition are already supported. 

I have the same problem with “Umlauten“, though.
I just updated the CSV parsing code to automatically detect the file encoding before reading from it, so that should fix the issues you are seeing with international characters. I would strongly suggest using UTF-8 encoding though, as the current version should work if you do that. As far as the issue with separators, any separator is supported. Whatever character you use to split the column names in the first line is what is used as the delimiter. What led you to believe comma was the only supported separator?

Mike