• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link point radius setting oddity
Hi, me again...

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I recently upgraded from a Toshiba Thrive to a Nexus 10, and I migrated my library to my new machine via a backup file. I've noticed something interesting about link points:
1. Existing link points (those created on the Thrive) will display the same size on my Nexus as they did on the Thrive.
2. New link points (created on the Nexus) are half the size they were on the Thrive.

I'm pretty sure I understand the reason for behavior #2: the Nexus has twice the screen resolution of the Thrive (2560x1600 vs. 1280x800), and the link point radius is defined in pixels.

But here is the strange thing. If I go to the Options menu and change the link point radius from 28 (the default) to 56, then any newly created link points will be the "normal" size, but previously created ones will now be twice the size! I've also confirmed that if I increase the link point radius value and then add a link point to a song that previously had link points from the Thrive, the new points will be smaller, and the previous ones will be larger. That is, the song will now have link points in both sizes.

You might have a hard time duplicating this behavior if you don't own a Nexus 10 (or other higher resolution tablet) but I can take a picture of my screen if you want to see this.

I realize that I can fix this by deleting and readding the link points, but I would like to set my default link point size to be the same as before, AND have existing link points be the correct size.

Thanks!
Hey Mike,

I do have a Nexus 10, so I can replicate this problem. I don't currently save the link point size in the database - that way existing link points scale if you change the link point size. I'm thinking I should probably change this (so that users can make their individual link points different sizes if they want) and make it easier to change the link point radius on the popup window. Anyways, the fact that I don't save the link point size when it's created means I don't know what size it should be *before* I start scaling it. I unfortunately can't fix this problem for your existing link points, but I could support this in the future at least.

Mike
I did a search on "radius" cause i was trying to avoid asking a question that might have already been asked...

When you increase the size of the radius on the links, does it also increase the area "monitored" for a "push" or "press" or whatever you call the action of poking your finger into the dot/circle? I have found that more than half the time when I press a link that is near the edge of the page, MobileSheets interprets it as a "Next Page" poke, *NOT* a Goto Link. I have increased the radius of the links to 70, and I still have this issue. It seems to take heed, once I navigate back to the link, but that might just be my imagination. It also seems like I have to press (and hold?) the link for it to work, rather than just poke it like a page turn. Maybe this is just an element of the learning curve, but, so far, I do not trust links near the page edge - which is where they often are.
I think there may be some issues with the touch detection in the current version. I can say with certainty that in MobileSheetsPro, if you increase the radius of a link point, the touch detection takes that into account.

Mike