• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landscape mode problems
I thought custom page ordering and a BT page turner were going to solve all my page turning woes for charts with DS al Coda. And they do, if I use my tablet in Portrait mode , where I can see a whole page at once.

But, the tablet I am thinking of using is my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. And that screen size is small enough that I may want to use it in Landscape mode. Testing it is when I realized that custom page ordering was not going to help me at all. I set up the page turner buttons to do "Scroll down, Turn Page if at Bottom". That works fine for just going straight through.

But going from a DS on Page 3 to the top of Page 1 and hitting PgDn 2 or 3 times to bring the S into view is not going to work very well for me.

Problem 1:

So, I realized I needed to use Hot Links instead. To make that work, I have to set the Page Turner action to Activate Next Link or Go to Next Page. So now, when I start the chart, I can see the top of Page 1, but when I hit the next button, it goes to page 2, instead of scrolling down.

Page 2 has a link to take me back to the S on Page 1. But, in Landscape mode, the link is not in view on the screen when I first get to page 2. When I hit Next to scroll down and bring the line with the link into view, instead, it activates the link (that I can't see) and takes me back to page 1.

I need a set of actions for "Scroll down, activate link if in View, go to next page if at bottom". And corresponding up/previous action.

Going to the next page when I'm not to the bottom of the current page is not cool. Activating a link that hasn't scrolled into view on the screen yet is also not cool.

I really can't see a reason why you'd want a link to ever activate if it's not in view. IOW, the UI doesn't need to say "activate link if in view" as the "if in view" should be implicit for all link activations.

With a set of actions for "Scroll down, activate link, go to next page if at bottom" (and up/previous), it seems like it would be reasonable to also make those the default actions for pedal PgDn/PgUp. They would provide "expected" behavior whether the device is in portrait or landscape and whether the user had set up any hot links or not.

Problem 2:

And when a link is activated, instead of displaying the end page with the link at the bottom of the screen, why not put it as high on the screen as possible (limited by not having the bottom of the page higher than the bottom of the screen)? If the link takes me to the coda, and the coda is only 2 or 3 lines, why should I have to scroll after I get there in order to see it all?

I guess a workaround be to put the end link a couple of lines down, but that seems like kind of a hack. And has the potential to display incorrectly if I move the chart to a different device. I.e. the top part of the coda could be scrolled off the top of the screen if a new device displays less vertically.

Problem 3:

When I'm in Landscape mode, scroll to the bottom of the screen, and then Next takes me to the top of the next page, if I hit Previous, it takes me back to the top of the previous page. In that mode, Previous ought to take me to the bottom of the previous page, not the top.

If I have missed something that would address any of these issues, I would be very happy for someone to tell me!

Messages In This Thread
Landscape mode problems - by StuartV - 07-01-2016, 05:18 AM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by BRX - 07-01-2016, 07:49 AM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by StuartV - 07-01-2016, 01:47 PM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by StuartV - 07-01-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by Zubersoft - 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by StuartV - 07-15-2016, 11:30 PM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by Steve B. - 07-18-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by StuartV - 07-19-2016, 05:40 AM
RE: Landscape mode problems - by akoster - 07-02-2016, 04:24 AM